Building a crane

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by dman, Aug 9, 2005.

1. dman

dman Junior Member

I have a waterfront property that is starting to become a small marina.I have a hydraulic lift..........and now I want to become self sufficent and be able to step my masts as well.I live about an hour away from any boom or crane service and it is a pain to even get them to come out.I have a fab. shop /machine shop and am looking for idea`s on the best crane design.I do not want to get into insurance talk just crane design.I also have a portable hydraulic power pack.Thanks.

2. Ssor

Ssor Senior Member

My favorite light duty crane is a commercial sign company crane. If you can find on mounted on a dead truck you will probably be able to acquire it for something just over the value of the parts.

3. Ssor

Ssor Senior Member

4. Ssor

Ssor Senior Member

Boom sources have been on my mind since I first read your post. The traffic control people use tapered galvanized arms on the traffic light systems at some intersections. Some of these assemblies are sixty or seventy feet long. Something of that nature could serve as as boom for stepping a mast. I have a friend that uses two extension ladders as an "A" frame on deck to step masts under forty feet.

5. dman

dman Junior Member

Thanks for all the replies Ssor.I built my own lift and now I think I will build the crane just to keep things simple.I have been looking in my favourite metal salvage yard and they have some thick walled pipe that is 3feet in diameter and 25feet long.I am going to make a pedestal crane and am going to use a piece of pipe that will slide into the large one I described earlier.I will pour concrete and put that pipe into the ground.It will then have a flange sticking out that I will then cut a groove to place Ball bearings in.The long pipe will then be hoisted and set down with a matching flange on it,thus creating a bearing.I could also make a bearing near the top of the shorter pipe so that it would turn with ease and drill a few holes in to accomodate grease fittings.A jib coming off the top with a hydraulic ram attached to my powerpack and I am in buisness.Hook up a winch and I`m set.3 or 4 days work and eliminate the crane guys who think they are more important than doctors.

6. Ssor

Ssor Senior Member

As long as you don't try to lift the QE2 you should be ok. Just make sure your sheeves are up to the job. :cool: