Boat Repairs Please Help

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by rollyone, Nov 15, 2006.

1. rollyone

rollyone New Member

Hi i have just got my first boat it isn't anything special its a 14 footer in need of some repairs i am told its nothing major but i have never done a boat before so i need a little help. So here we go

1. I am told it needs a gel coat as it has been taken off the hull. What is Gel Coat? can i put it on? if so how do i do it?

2. Two of the seats inside the boat which are made into the boat are cracked alond the seam of the fibre glass like where the top and the side of the seat. Can i just fibreglass over the top of each peice to remake the corner? If not any ideas would be great

3. Paint!!! the whole thing inside and out needs a paint once its gel coated do i need to use any type of paint over it? Also what are the best type of paints to use?

In general i got the boat very cheap $200 to be exact so if it costs me a couple of grand i have no probs with that i just want to do it right the first time

Cheers Paul

Attached Files:

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

rollyone,

If the photos you provide are of the boats present condition, the hull's exterior gel-coat looks intake.

Small areas can be redone without professional help. We did it at seamanship school in 1991 at Chapmans as part of the boat maintanance class.

I would suggest getting into the West Marine site (or similar). I know thier catalog has many good articles that would address most of your ?'s.

As for the seats, get help if possible from someone experienced in glass boat repair. Given a first-hand look at the seats they should be able to tell why they cracked. If it involves hull flexing, any repairs could be of a very temporary nature, (they might quickly fail), if the initial problem is not addressed.

The boat has a nice stlye to it. Welcome to the forum. Take care.

TGoz

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.