boat help

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by joejoe, Oct 6, 2005.

1. joejoe

joejoe New Member

Ok, I need a boat that can carry about 20 ppl, can be used to fish in the ocean (i dont know much about this but its for fishing in Fiji, for stuff like tuna and such, I dont know how far off shore you need to go to do this), and it has to be electric. :(

I know its a big request but can someone give me an estimate on how much a boat like this would cost?

PS...As far as carrying 20 ppl, it doesnt mean everyone has to have a seat, as long as 20 ppl can fit tightly on it (20'-25' x 5'-10' sounds close to me???)...im not good at explaining it, but like some people can sit on the floor, some crunched in the seats, etc... :confused:

2. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

Hi joejoe,
    I don't have the definitive answer for you, but if it is for charter your boat will probably need to pass some sort of stability test for the number of passengers you wish to carry. And if they will all be fishing they will each need some space for that. So I am going to guess that an absolute lower limit would be a beamy boat of about 32 to 35 feet and probably longer would be even better. But you really need to get information from the people in charge of enforcing the regulations for charter boats in Fiji first and then take it from there.
    A old friend of mine just moved to Fiji recently. Don't know exactly where; I think a small island.
    Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Gilbert

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Joejoe, I'd start by checking with your coast guard or transport authority as to what the regulations are. If Fiji's are in line with the rest of the world you'll probably be quite surprised just how much boat it takes to carry a lot of passengers. A 25-footer might be rated to 10 pass. and 1 crew for charter work. It's not uncommon to see 100-foot dive boats rated for only 30 passengers. Bear in mind that every tuna your guests catch will add another couple hundred pounds to the payload.
    I take it since you want electric, you're looking at a displacement hull. What's the nastiest weather you need it to handle? (Wave and wind parameters). This will be some clue as to how heavily built (and thus how pricey) it will be. I doubt you'd be able to get anything under 30' certified for charter with 20 passengers; since you're fishing you'll probably also want about 3-4 crew. If I were you I would be looking at about 40-50 feet and 12-15 tonnes, just a guess. As a conversion of a used commercial craft that can take offshore work you might be looking at $350-$500k, for new build, perhaps $450-$750k (just VERY rough guesses) although you may be able to come in at less than that.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.