Boat Dock help needed

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by evanrude, Mar 30, 2005.

1. evanrude

evanrude New Member

Boat Dock building advise is needed

Hey all, I know this is a boatbuilding forum but thought some of you all might already be using a dock like the one I want to build and thought maybe you all could describe it to me. I got 8 55 gallon plastic barrels(and have access to alot more if needed). I want to build a standard straight boat dock. I'd like it to be 4'-6' wide and 12'-16' long. I'm just not sure about how much weight can these barrels hold. I am totally flexible on the size. I would also like to find out which way to put them, like side by side all in a row or kinda like a pontoon set up, end to end on underneath each side of the dock. Any help, sugestions, advice, links, information would really help me out.

2. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

Each barrel will supply 450 lbs of flotation on a lake, slightly more in the ocean. Barrels are about three feet long. if you put them end to end in two rows, then you'll get about 900lbs flotation per section (minus the weight of the dock and any people). Hope this helps. Arrange them any way you like, you'll get more flotation if they're standing vertically (more barrels per section).

3. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

The important dimension is how low or high above the water surface you want it with no one on it and how high when 4 to 6 people are standing on it next to a boat, to get in the boat. Drums and barrels usually are put under wide docks because of the large amount of non-flotation area between each barrel. Blue foam blocks are more tightly bunched together and are better for narrow 2' to 3' docks. Both really need 2 vertical steel pipes every 20' to prevent the dock from twisting into the water with a lot of people boarding a boat.

4. evanrude

evanrude New Member

Thanks guys!!

That has been a HUGE help. Here's one, I am thinking that I could use a metal band around the barrels and the "floor joist". Will this work? I just don't want to puncture any of the barrels. I am trying to figure this out and I can't get any help without paying for a site. It's just a small (camping) lot and I just need a place to dock the boat so I dont screw everything else up. Thanks again for your response.

Evan

5. Thunderhead19

I'm not seeing it. Could you explain the "metal band" idea a bit more?

6. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Do a word web search----barrel docks----wood docks---------foam docks-- describe what type of dock you want. It works.

7. evanrude

evanrude New Member

Well, I was going to take that metal banding material, like is used around palets, lumber, etc. It's about 5/8" wide and is wrapped around the product and then tightened with a special ratchet tool and then crimped with another tool. I was going to go around the barrels and around the floor joist and then tighten it up, then lay the flooring on top of it.

8. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

They are usually all plain steel banding. RUST. You could use the plastic banding strap. May not be perfect UV life. BUUT. Better than rust. You could also build a pressure treated " cage " around them to keep them in place. Lots of ways to hold them in place. You can use the bung hole to secure them.

9. Thunderhead19

**snicker**

10. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Do they float too?

11. Adam12

Adam12 New Member

Along these lines, anyone have some advice on how to install new plastic barrels under an existing dock that is already in the water?

12. Adam12

Adam12 New Member

*bump*

13. Jetaway

Jetaway New Member

Boat Dock

I have got a bunch of plastic 55 gallon barrels and I want to make a dock. Does anyone have any plans they can share? PBR

14. jgdyer

jgdyer Junior Member

Many of the barrels under my dock are secured with stainless steel banding ... Works great! You can slip the banding up between deck boards and run it across part of the deck and back down ... Not a trip hazard as long as you pull tight with the banding tool.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.