Boat Building Projects Underway

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Manie B, Sep 29, 2009.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Smile.

Attached Files:

2. LP

LP Flying Boatman

:) ;) :)

3. pironiero

pironiero Coping

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Here we have bald cypress, which, although straight grained, is heavy like larch, so would also be considered too heavy for masts. It is good wood though, except for its weight.

6. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

pironiero likes this.
  7. Gary Chiles

Gary Chiles Capn Chiles

Finally, after 3-4 years of customization and research on everything involved, I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I puchased an older dive boat in Fl. (It came with a trriple axle aluminum loadmaster trailer) It is a 1976Bertram convertible, 28 ft. Did ALOT of research and decided to do the impossible. Wanted to have my first diesel. Decided to install two mercedes 300d 5 cylinder inline diesels and pair them with Borg Warner transmissions. Long road ,but being one of the most reliable diesels ever made (and made for high revving). Gave it as shot, completely went through the engines before installing them, and fired up the port engine last night, success!! Will post pictures and more details as we get close to the end and sea trial .. Keep you posted!

8. mhd

mhd New Member

9. MotorCityBW

MotorCityBW Junior Member

Albin 27 Pocket Trawler
    https://youtube.com/@motorcityboatwerks

I don’t know if this counts so much as a boat build vs a boat re-build vs a boat restoration. I find myself using the words interchangeably since I brought it down to a bare hull, pulled out a bulkhead or two and then created a 20 square foot bathroom in a 27 foot pocket trawler.

It’s going slow and picking up steam.

hoytedow likes this.
  10. carbon_pirate

carbon_pirate Junior Member

Hi there,

My name is Marcus
    I've been lurking for years and finally thought its time to register.
    I am a hobby boat builder from Austria. I've been building boats since many, many years. Scale models at first and since 5 years I am working on a full scale boat - multihull with twin wing sails and foils. Self constructed, self built.
    Its an ongoing development project.
    I recently started to document the development process on my insta page: https://www.instagram.com/carbon_pirate/
    I am documenting the whole build process there starting from the first sketches to the current state and beyond.
    I registered a patent for an invention regarding the boat already and got two more in line. So if anyone is interested in using them, just contact me. Its free for personal use in the boat builder community.

But to be honest, I have little idea what I am doing. It is all learning on the job. So half of what I am doing doesn't work or works just half of what it should. But hell... that's the fun of a development project. trying out things and learning on the way. And maybe...maybe one day it all comes together... maybe its not a boat after all, but a plane... who knows...

I am always looking for good input and discussions. looking forward to it.

best,

Marcus

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2023
    DogCavalry likes this.
  11. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

Welcome to the forum Marcus @carbon_pirate . It was a good idea to join. Now you can ask questions.

12. carbon_pirate

carbon_pirate Junior Member

Hi DogCavalry,
    Thank you for the welcome. And yes, it seems it was a good idea to join. I have already interesting discussions going on. :)
    I am sure I can learn a lot here.

best,
    Marcus

hoytedow and BlueBell like this.

13. sharpiedory

sharpiedory Junior Member

building a welsford scamp

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.