Boat building help

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by lockley16, Oct 31, 2013.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Top view will not show height as it only shows half width(breadth). Print the graph and start counting off considering each square as one square inch.

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

(If you would take down the mast pictures it would make it easier to read the thread as it wouldn't be necessary to scroll sideways.)

The numbers on the right are the vertical heights from a horizontal base line. They seem to be given on an upside down hull.

The numbers on the left are the horizontal distances from a vertical center line that runs down the center of the boat. (the widest part of the boat, the "beam", would be 18 3/8" x 2 = 36 3/4")
    There are four points on each frame and you can see them in the photo, they correspond to keel, then lower point, upper point and sheer (or gunnel).

You use the two sets of numbers to draw and cut the shape of the frames, and then set the finished frames on a strongback using the distances from the baseline and frame spacing to properly position them.

[​IMG]

3. lockley16

lockley16 Junior Member

I'm sorry, I probably sound like the worlds biggest idiot, but keep in mind I am doing this at 15 y/o. What is a strongback, the mold it is built on?
    P.S. I was debating on taking that pic down, when you said that I finally did, thanks for the feedback.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

The strongback is the stiff timber which holds the building frames in alignment.

5. lockley16

lockley16 Junior Member

Oh, ok. I was thinking, if this turns out to be too much of a challenge trying to redo these plans, I will probably try to find a small racing scow to build.

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

7. lockley16

lockley16 Junior Member

I have the majority of the plans but I am pretty sure I am missing some. I will post them in a minute.

8. lockley16

lockley16 Junior Member

There are four pages here is 1.

Attached Files:

9. lockley16

lockley16 Junior Member

Here is 2. Sorry, I have to do this to post the pic.

Attached Files:

10. lockley16

lockley16 Junior Member

Here is the 3rd.

Attached Files:

11. lockley16

lockley16 Junior Member

Here is the 4th, I will probably change the plans a little for a detachable bowsprit to accommodate a jib.

Attached Files:

12. lockley16

lockley16 Junior Member

YES, I have figured out what to do for the molds, size wise. Right now I am scaling them down to draw on a piece of paper.

13. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I believe some, if not all, of the plywood frames/molds stay in the finished boat.

Does the book tell you any more about building it, such as a material list or construction steps?

Did you figure out how the offsets work?

14. lockley16

lockley16 Junior Member

1, that is what I thought but the molds I have the pic of are solid, so do you cut some of them?

2, yes, I know I am doing it a wrong way but the way I am doing now it matches exactly with the pic of the mold (I used the same scale as the picture so I could compare them).

15. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Does the book tell you any more about building it, such as a material list or construction steps?

If you don't use the offset measurements to draw the frames, the boat might end up not being fair, that is it might be all lumpy looking with high areas and low areas.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.