Blaxell Surfrider - trailer or no trailer?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Surfrider, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Surfrider

Surfrider Junior Member

Hello Everyone,

I have bought a Blaxell Surfrider 20ft boat, I knew I had to do some work to it and don’t mind at all. My questions relates to the following: I removed the floor and noticed there are no wooden stringers and bulkheads, instead these fibreglass rib type stringers and bulkheads. Starboard side ribs have detached from the hull and also have some cracks from people screwing in seats. When I lay in the new fibreglass to the ribs to attach it to the hull, should the boat be on a trailer….. or off the trailer??. I’m concerned about the deflection in the hull and pressure from the rollers underneath.
    I'm seriously thinking of cutting all the ribs out as I doubt I will be able to get a strong bond if I just re-resin/matt them back to the hull. Any body done this before?

I would also like to install an inboard fuel tank in one of the old fish hutches…. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Ally, Stainless or plastic. I have an outboard 100hp motor.

Rgds

Tuna

2. Surfrider

Surfrider Junior Member

pictures of my Blaxell Surfrider

floor out:
    [/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Take a look under the boat from various angles, it it seems to have smooth, fair curves, without any waves, it should be OK. leave it on the trailer.

4. Surfrider

Surfrider Junior Member

Thanks guys, looks like she will stay on the trailer then. Let the job begin!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.