Bennett Trim tabs, with "tracking" fins

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by duke, Jan 17, 2010.

1. duke

duke Junior Member

I pulled the "new" boat out last week to change out the zincs, etc. Its a 22' cabin cruiser "Glasply", a deep vee, heavy little boat with a small block v8 and a mercury Alpha outdrive. The housing is vintage '78 the leg is new, it doesn't have trim detents, but if you hold both up/out buttons, you can bump it up a little.

I took a good look at my trim tabs, because I get a pretty nerve-racking corkscrew and yaw issue with minor adjustments. The trim tabs are a little oversized for the boat, I believe, and I thought that might be related to the erratic yaw and slight high-siding on the inside of a turn.

I found the tabs have two fins apiece, about 8.5 inches long and about 1&3/4 deep. One was pretty bent. I removed it and its matching fin from the other tab. The fins don't seem in line with the strakes (out by about 7-9 degrees) and I think I want to pull the remaining two fins off as well. I like trim tabs on a boat to level the ride port to starboard and to drop the bow down a little in the chop, but I don't like the steering effect these are having.

Am I on the right track here or should I just consider taking some height off the fins first?

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Tough question. One sure fire way to find out though...

-Tom

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.