Backwards frames on 16 ft Runabout

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by runabout, Apr 2, 2004.

1. runabout

runabout New Member

:?: Ahoy and oboy did i ever goof,i am building my first boat and i bought a frame kit for a 16 ft runabout from clark craft.I managed to put the side frames together backwards.They are notched out at 15 degrees as the back two frames are to be set at 15 degrees.The high side of the notched frames are suppose to be towards the bow but i put them towards the transom.I screwed and glued them 3 days ago and this glue isnt coming apart(strong stuff).I thought of unscrewing them and then take a hack saw and cut between the bottom frame and side frame to seperate them and start over.Heres my question,Is all that nessessary or can i just continue and leave it the way they are? The chines and sheer shelfs will lay flush into the frames and it will also be straight and level.The only thing im concerned about is the slight gap on the bottom side of the notch and the chines.Well i hope my questions are understandable and someone can help me out here.Thanks a bunch...Brian

2. Tall Timber

Tall Timber Junior Member

Maybe fill the notches in the wrong spot with epoxy/woodflour and carefully cut/chisel them where they are supposed to be . Slow down maybe, do'oh!

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This isn't a big deal Runabout, everyone has done it, though the usual error is to put the frame on the wrong side of the station line. The folks who haven't made this kind of mistake haven't built many boats, so relax, take a breath, suck down a few beers and move on to what has to be done.

It's likely (very) you'll have to remove the badly placed frames as the shapes will be in the wrong places, creating humps and dips in the planking that will drive you nuts trying to fair. Cut them out, cleanly if you can. This is a time when the high cost of wood butcher's friend (epoxy) will pay for itself. You'll have to repair the notches for the stringers, chine(s), keel and the bevels (which are facing the wrong way now) if they got dinged up during the process. You could make up some new frames, using the screwed up ones as templates. The bevels and notches must be transferred accurately for a good fit and a fair hull. A couple of frames isn't a big thing to redo. I know a guy who installed all his forward frames on the wrong side of the station line and didn't realize it until he was near finished with stringers. He couldn't figure out why things were not hitting where they were supposed to, so he forced them to fit, he was pissed.

Good Luck,

4. lprimina

lprimina Senior Member

Par's advice is right on the money. You found out your mistake early enough to fix without to much money outlay.
    Good luck
    Ben

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.