Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
  #16  
Old 06-05-2016, 06:58 PM
PAR's Avatar
PAR PAR is offline
Yacht Designer/Builder
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Rep: 3967 Posts: 17,895
Location: Eustis, FL
ReefDOCG, please be advised that building things in third world countries has the advantage of not being required to comply with anything, so yeah, neat build, but good luck getting a registration in the USA.

A barge is a simple way to go, though you can probably find a sizable one for cheaper than the major reseller sights are showing. These are also very easy to build, in several materials.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-05-2016, 10:04 PM
Reef DOCG Reef DOCG is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Rep: 10 Posts: 12
Location: Atlantic Highlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAR View Post
ReefDOCG, please be advised that building things in third world countries has the advantage of not being required to comply with anything, so yeah, neat build, but good luck getting a registration in the USA.

A barge is a simple way to go, though you can probably find a sizable one for cheaper than the major reseller sights are showing. These are also very easy to build, in several materials.
Lmao. It's funny you say that. When I visit my family in Italy and I see the stuff they do it boggles my mind how they get away with it. And they look at me like I'm crazy, when I ask them if they had to get a permit.
"Permit? For what? they ask. To build an addition to the house? Nah we just build whatever we want." But on the other hand their buildings have been standing for over 2000 years. So who are we to judge. My aunts "Cortile" is 670 years old and still standing.
But in any case PAR, I believe more and more the way is to find a used barge, or simply build one. I did like your idea of a used one and retrofitting it. I wish I could find a bit more knowledge on the inside guts. ei. How they fit their tanks, pumps heaters etc. All underneathe. It sounds easy but sometimes easy is problematic. I'm not so concerned about the actual structure as I am of the inards. It's amazing that these house boats, floating homes have been around for decades yet no really detailed contraction on them. Maybe it's because there are so many different ways people construct them. But I have time and will keep at it. I'M NOT GIVING UP!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-06-2016, 04:56 AM
missinginaction missinginaction is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Rep: 512 Posts: 627
Location: new york
You're smart to do some research reef DOCG. You're quite young so don't rush into anything, you may find that your tastes change as you look more closely at different designs and even different styles of floating homes.

I'd only add that you should consider the size of the boat/barge/houseboat you finally settle on. I restored a relatively small cruiser and while I had a great time doing it, I didn't realize how involved the project actually was until I was "in deep" so to speak. I would not have wanted to restore a much larger boat.

Doing things right the first time costs money, a lot of it. You'll probably spend far more than you think you will (I did) to get a first rate result. Boats live in a damp, UV rich environment. Mother nature does her best to return everything we build to it's natural state. The larger the boat, the more expensive and time consuming is the build and the greater the maintenance, assuming you want it to last.

Unless you're wealthy and can pay someone else to do the work I'd take a minimalist approach and try to find a craft on the smaller side. Most larger boats I see at my local club end up filled with stuff that's not needed anyway.

Good Luck,

MIA
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-06-2016, 08:19 AM
brian eiland's Avatar
brian eiland brian eiland is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Rep: 1903 Posts: 4,654
Location: St Augustine Fl, Thailand
Polyurea Coating on steel float tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef DOCG View Post
...The steel floats though, got me thinking about rust. I see he was painting with probably anti rust paint but how really does that help? I wonder if encasing the steel pontoons in fiberglass would be a better choice?
First off forget the fiberglass coating. Most resins other than the epoxies do not bond that well. You would end up with water between the coating and the steel,...bad.

There are lots of good coatings available for steel these days.

Here is another newer product one might consider,...polyurea
preparation of interior rust on steel hull


http://www.yachtforums.com/threads/p...lastics.16549/


...it might even have some antifouling properties
New antifoul discovery - 100% effective AND green
__________________
RunningTideYachts.com
Distinctive Expedition Yachts
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-06-2016, 01:25 PM
brian eiland's Avatar
brian eiland brian eiland is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Rep: 1903 Posts: 4,654
Location: St Augustine Fl, Thailand
...spraying polyurea,...a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyrogrbahyQ


...corrosion protection
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZiXeATFRY0
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-07-2016, 09:52 AM
brian eiland's Avatar
brian eiland brian eiland is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Rep: 1903 Posts: 4,654
Location: St Augustine Fl, Thailand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef DOCG View Post
Wow that was a neat build. I like the fact that he used steel all the way. Pretty interesting. The stell floats though, got me thinking about rust. I see he was painting with probably anti rust paint but how really does that help? I wonder if encasing the steel pontoons in fiberglass would be a better choice?
Thank you for the thread, I'm trying to go through it all and pick up more info. So you might hear from me again...
I think I have supplied you with lots of reading material for now. Just wanted to let you know that I'm leaving for a trip to Panama this week and won't be back for 7-10 days,...and I am NOT taking a computer nor electronics of any kind along. So if you have a most immediate question of me, ask it now?
__________________
RunningTideYachts.com
Distinctive Expedition Yachts
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-07-2016, 12:05 PM
Wavewacker Wavewacker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Rep: 226 Posts: 682
Location: Springfield, Mo.
Before I'd venture too far in such studies, you should find a location suitable for your build as PAR suggested.

You can forget about any Corps of Engineers waterways and lakes or any utility owned lake, often any mooring is limited to 24 hours then you must move it.

There are floating home communities in WA state and AK if you want to to up with ice.

You may have fun with draining the black water tanks and hauling that out, if you don't have fresh water plumbing to your barge, it gets really old toting water in.

I've had 2 cabins, one on a river the other a lake, terrain to the water can be a PITA, up and down a hill. At the lake I had to pack everything about 120 feet, the river cabin hd a driveway.

Just saying, select a spot first, then see what might be required, then build to suit the requirements and the lot.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-07-2016, 06:06 PM
Reef DOCG Reef DOCG is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Rep: 10 Posts: 12
Location: Atlantic Highlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by missinginaction View Post
You're smart to do some research reef DOCG. You're quite young so don't rush into anything, you may find that your tastes change as you look more closely at different designs and even different styles of floating homes.

I'd only add that you should consider the size of the boat/barge/houseboat you finally settle on. I restored a relatively small cruiser and while I had a great time doing it, I didn't realize how involved the project actually was until I was "in deep" so to speak. I would not have wanted to restore a much larger boat.

Doing things right the first time costs money, a lot of it. You'll probably spend far more than you think you will (I did) to get a first rate result. Boats live in a damp, UV rich environment. Mother nature does her best to return everything we build to it's natural state. The larger the boat, the more expensive and time consuming is the build and the greater the maintenance, assuming you want it to last.

Unless you're wealthy and can pay someone else to do the work I'd take a minimalist approach and try to find a craft on the smaller side. Most larger boats I see at my local club end up filled with stuff that's not needed anyway.

Good Luck,

MIA
Wealthy I am not. more of a go-getter. I enjoy building and I do most on my own. This project would be more for a life time living "Home" I don't care to have something too large as you stated well more money more upkeep. I guess my question would be what does one consider large? would a platform of 30x40 with a structure f lets say 22x30 be considered large? I would want some outside space for planting and have some type of a deck.
Thank you for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-07-2016, 06:07 PM
Reef DOCG Reef DOCG is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Rep: 10 Posts: 12
Location: Atlantic Highlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
I think I have supplied you with lots of reading material for now. Just wanted to let you know that I'm leaving for a trip to Panama this week and won't be back for 7-10 days,...and I am NOT taking a computer nor electronics of any kind along. So if you have a most immediate question of me, ask it now?
Well enjoy your vacation sir. hope to hear from you when you get back.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-07-2016, 06:14 PM
Reef DOCG Reef DOCG is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Rep: 10 Posts: 12
Location: Atlantic Highlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
Before I'd venture too far in such studies, you should find a location suitable for your build as PAR suggested.

You can forget about any Corps of Engineers waterways and lakes or any utility owned lake, often any mooring is limited to 24 hours then you must move it.

There are floating home communities in WA state and AK if you want to to up with ice.

You may have fun with draining the black water tanks and hauling that out, if you don't have fresh water plumbing to your barge, it gets really old toting water in.

I've had 2 cabins, one on a river the other a lake, terrain to the water can be a PITA, up and down a hill. At the lake I had to pack everything about 120 feet, the river cabin hd a driveway.

Just saying, select a spot first, then see what might be required, then build to suit the requirements and the lot.
That is definitely a priority! I agree. That is the math I'm doing. Do I pay mooring fees Or invest that money in a piece of property. There is so much to think about ahead of time so one doesn't regret making certain choices.

Does anyone here pay mooring fees? If so, do you regret maybe not buying a property instead? What are you thoughts? Or is there good reasons to rent a mooring?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-07-2016, 10:43 PM
brian eiland's Avatar
brian eiland brian eiland is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Rep: 1903 Posts: 4,654
Location: St Augustine Fl, Thailand
International Homebuilders Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef DOCG View Post
Wealthy I am not. more of a go-getter. I enjoy building and I do most on my own. This project would be more for a life time living "Home" I don't care to have something too large as you stated well more money more upkeep. I guess my question would be what does one consider large? would a platform of 30x40 with a structure f lets say 22x30 be considered large? I would want some outside space for planting and have some type of a deck.
Thank you for your thoughts.
Several years ago when I was looking more seriously at building a 'floating cottage' for my Thai wife and myself, I attended a fascinating show in Orlando FL, the International Homebuilders Show. I wanted to see what new materials there were in the homebuilding market, particularly light weight ones.

As I said it was a fascinating show with lots of different ideas and materials. I just looked up their schdule for this year and see that the show has returned to the east coast,...Orlando Fl, in Jan 2017
https://www.buildersshow.com/Home/

I will be attending that show again, and plan on spending 2 days just to get thru the Exhibits.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-18-2016, 06:27 AM
JotM JotM is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Rep: 34 Posts: 74
Location: Leiden, the Netherlands
In order to generate some more ideas, you might also search Google Images on "woonschip", "woonboot", "woonark" or "waterwoning".
You'll end up with a load of examples from the Netherlands.
Living in floating houses has been on the rise again recently, as climate change makes more retention basins necessary. Having people living in/on the retention basins is nice from multiple perspectives. It just makes sense in a country of which 40% is below (a still rising) sea level.

Housing ranges form

to


Moving them might be a challenge sometimes.


http://img.rtvoost.nl/T3/6682.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-18-2016, 07:18 AM
mydauphin mydauphin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Rep: 575 Posts: 2,160
Location: Florida
Be wary of unpropelled house boats or boat houses. Lots of places are making living on them impossible or very expensive. A self-propelled boat no matter how bad is easier to find dockage for.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-01-2016, 09:56 AM
jorgepease jorgepease is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Rep: 75 Posts: 855
Location: Florida
A self propelled boat is also exempt from paying property taxes at least in Florida ) otherwise it's a house )
Reply With Quote


  #30  
Old 12-05-2016, 10:45 PM
shipwright shipwright is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Rep: 10 Posts: 34
Location: Australia
H-boat

Hi mate, do not know your area, but I would imagine situation would be similar everywhere, Insurance cover is pretty much mandatory all over, which means you will have to build to some standard, you can build in some departures from the norm as long as you have a surveyor willing to sign off on finished project, would also be necessary for finance.
Re hull design-build this is the easy part, the big bucks come in house structure and fitout.

Shipwright
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a House, or a Boat brian eiland Boat Design 22 11-07-2016
07:46 PM 
Now this is a House boat! midnitmike Boat Design 11 06-24-2012
09:28 AM 
House Boat help Mech Software 6 06-13-2012
11:04 PM 
poontoon house boats to be built in jamaica. china Multihulls 3 01-19-2007
04:30 PM 
house boat re-wiring cdaug24 Boatbuilding 6 01-05-2006
04:02 PM 

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Web Site Design and Content Copyright ©1999 - 2017 Boat Design Net