Alternative to vaccum bagging sealant tape

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by cheshire, Nov 14, 2010.

1. cheshire

cheshire New Member

Hi there, im living in brunei so its hard to get vacuum bagging sealant tape here so i had to order it from usa and its so time consuming and costly. Do you guys have any idea or experience of alternative way of sealing the bag? my project is currently making a carbon fibre console which are going to a halt due to insufficient sealant tape... hope you guys can help me out... thanks in advance...

best regards,
    adi

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

duct tape

3. cheshire

cheshire New Member

Thank you sir, i'll try it out sticking the bag to the mold using duct tape...once again, thank you gonzo...

4. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

I like using a the clear plastic tape better than duct tape. Not much strength is generally needed, it just needs a good seal.

Here in the US is a sealant for doors and windows found at the common home improvement and hard ware stores. It is a grey caulk material (clay like) comes in a role. The role is about an 1" wide ribbion of several ropes (about 6) stuck together. I've used this in place of the more expensive yellow vacuum tape. It is not as good at the yellow stuff, but it can be made to work.

~ Michael

5. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

Here we are (Quickbagging) doing parts of a Pilot house (5 piece mold) I had a well regulated vacuum system and used masking tape to seal the bag a German body shop film, the Laminate and core were Co-Bagged.

[​IMG]

6. cheshire

cheshire New Member

thanks michael, im looking into that stuff too.. you guys are helpful...

7. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

car glass sealing tape. A beast to remove after though.

8. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Why not generate a list of all materials you miss, and place that order somewhere in Europe or USA?

I regularly ship materials to obscure places, usually in larger batches, to save on shipping.

9. cheshire

cheshire New Member

Herman: the average shipping price for 1 roll of that tape cost me usd$75...way more expensive than the tape itself... :(

10. Herman

Herman Senior Member

I checked, and for 20 euros (25 dollar) I can ship up to 2 kgs. Someone is trying to make a lot of money.

Still 20 euro is way more than the tape, but at least shipping is reasonable. I guess3 or 4 rolls make 2 kgs.

11. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Whereabouts are you trying to scource the tape in Brunei? i ask this because i buy mine locally from a glass company (as in windows,not a fiberglass supplier), i believe it is called acrylic glazing tape.
    Steve.

12. rxcomposite

Yes Steve,

Thats what I suggested in post number 8. But I use this only when there is nothing else as it is very hard to remove especially when the weather is hot.

It is also a lot denser than the standard "tacky" tape but a lot stronger too so I stretch it a bit before laying it up.

13. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

That was in the Kuwait shop and back after the first gulf war there was not much of anything around,My vacuum pump was a roots blower out of a blasted air raid siren.

14. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Rx, im not sure were talking the exact same product as the place i get it from dont do automobiles and it is not at all difficult to remove, the stuff i get is black but i have seen grey which wasnt as tacky.
    Steve.

15. rxcomposite

I am using the type used to seal the front and back windshield. Same stuff the aluminum and glass suppliers carry. It is also black and very sticky when pressed.

Is it the same stuff?

I also use for debulking material this thick felt type fabric that is used on jackets by the tailor. Modified "Gerber" baby jars for resin trap.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.