Alternative fillet materials?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Ward, May 10, 2003.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

OK, but have you tested it?

2. JEM

JEM Senior Member

No, I don't have the proper equipment (or desire) to conduct any meaningful tests.

Scantling/design books and ISO regulations have different lamination schedules for using epoxy and polyester. The poly scantlings are always heavier.

I'll say again, there are lots of boats made from poly that are just fine and plenty strong. But it's not safe to use poly for scantlings intended for epoxy. There is no direct 1:1 substitution.

That probably matters less and less as the boat size and intended speed decrease. Maybe on a knock-around paddle pond boat it's ok. But that stuff stinks and is nasty to work with anyway. The cost, however, is much cheaper than epoxy. Poly products much more readily available too.

My personal opinion is building a boat using bondo isn't worth the investment and risk. That's what this forum is about, personal opinions, right? ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.