50ft strip plank sailer

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by TOALL, Sep 29, 2016.

1. TOALL

TOALL Junior Member

Well its all starting, plans are pined to the wall, piles of wood everywhere!

On an earlier post it was suggested that I build the hull the right way up to save rolling her over. I'm really tight on clearance in the boat shed and would need to remove the roof and use a crane to do it comfortably.

Before I start has any one built a stripper this way up. I would imagine that the whole process would be physically harder and more importantly take much longer to complete.

I'm pretty sure its a bad idea but would still like other opinions

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

There would be pluses and minuses there, the minuses include more difficult to apply your glass fabric and fairing both of timber and for final paint- not inconsolable though as you will be fighting gravity but pre wet fabric can be transfered by rolling onto lengths of pvc then applied overhead with a little help- myself and a tiny lady did the bottom of a 40' power boat as such in two days with three layers of 450gm DB, the topsides where a non issues with very little flare, having a cradle that could be tilted would assist & a 50'er will need some scaf regardless of inversion.
    The pluses would be- no rolling incomplete structure or partial tilt to assist access- layup of interior laminate and continuation of structural bulkheads, web floor/keel support members and joinery assist schedule then application of deck making a complete structural unit earlier, the turn over would use up some time out especially for tidy up plus the roof. laying the strips internally to female forms might be slightly harder but not an uncommon method I think Farrier and some others use it. Maybe you could do a split mold with a center line join and so be able to better handle the beam within the space then just use some rings for turn over.
    You also mention vac bagging the laminate to an earlier post, seems like an unnecessary complication as some simple application of peel ply is about all you need .
    Jeff.

3. bregalad

bregalad Senior Member

I built my 30' Bolger Romp right side up. No problems. I'd built several other boats upside down, all smaller, lighter, more easily flipped.
    Things are always a trade off. On mine I believe it was easier to build the backbone structure right side up, as was planking. Fairing and glassing the hull involved lots of harsh words, but rolling her in the available space would have been worse.

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Strip planking right way up ? Sounds fraught.

You cant eye off the strips for fairness as you lay them and pin them, and when you sand the hull fair, you will be doing it on your back with dust in your eyes, still not being able to eyeball the results.

Definitely would not appeal to me

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is fairly easy to roll the hull out of a shed, turn it and roll it back in. The extra day of work will save you weeks on the planking, fairing and laminating.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.