30' cruising catamaran repair log

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by jdory, Aug 7, 2015.

1. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

Jim, I see a lot of work going into it but, Don't Give Up The Dream.

2. jdory

jdory Senior Member

Still plugging away on the build. Now as winter sets in and its too cold to glue in the boatshed, I'm working on portable projects in my heated shop. Daggerboards now have their trailing edges glassed on - still needing fairing. Still need to glass other edges, fair it all, and install the hardware.

Attached Files:

3. jdory

jdory Senior Member

Also decided to cut a step into the transoms for low dock boarding. The tiller head had been hitting a bit too so cut that area into a step as well to help with clearance. More work than maybe it was worth, but now just fairing it all in and some more roving inside.

Attached Files:

4. jdory

jdory Senior Member

Roved in the cabinsides and got the galley cabinets built, but not finished.

Attached Files:

5. jdory

jdory Senior Member

Also glassed the patches - still need faired.

Attached Files:

6. jdory

jdory Senior Member

About done with daggerboards for now. Still need to finish sand and maybe patch a couple little pinholes/depressions.. finish off trailing edge by giving it maybe a 60 degree angle, and paint. But since paint is a ways off, I'm going to keep the interest level up by beginning work on the new rudders. The daggerboards were a lot of sanding-patching-sanding, etc. All by hand, pretty much. Ready to let that rest.

Attached Files:

7. jdory

jdory Senior Member

Boat is in an unheated area and it has been in sub-zero F. temps lately, so picking projects I can do in my heated shop. Lots - rudders will take awhile. Right now it is up in the low 20's F., but windy and maybe got some snow coming. Still too cold to get much done in there.. could do more sanding/finishing of some rough woodwork after the rudder project.

8. jdory

jdory Senior Member

Started the rudders. First is to make sections (like bulkheads) that will help determine shape of rudders and add strength. I bandsawed out 3mm plywood foil sections, then glued on 6# density foam. Tomorrow I may add the biaxial fiberglass to both sides. I also vacuum bagged up some foam to use as infill between the sections. That is some Klegecell 5# density foam I had on hand.

Attached Files:

9. jdory

jdory Senior Member

I'm trying to put a little house on top of my boat like James did (pics - if you scroll enough - here: http://dragonflysail.blogspot.com/ ) and I think he made his deck structure deeper than I did - so in effect his house sticks up less than mine (he has deeper cockpit, mine is shallower I think). So mine has to have a bit steeper sides to allow for winches/lines, and to allow for room to run things from the mast base.

I'm allowing headroom from the benches I will cut for about a 6' tall person (183 cm) sitting. No standing headroom. I'm thinking about 12" (30.5 cm) from sides of house to hull hatches for winches, lines. And about 24" (61 cm) from mast base to front of house. Curious if this is adequate or if I could go less - which could make the front a bit steeper (more wind deflection). Here's the start of it:

Attached Files:

10. jdory

jdory Senior Member

Getting committed to go with this plan. Here's the surgery recently performed to install benchs. I'm also thinking I will install two hard water tanks in these storage areas - which I hate to lose. I put one tank in place on the port side, and one will be on starboard side of center. There will still be some storage area left. I've vacuum bagged up some panels for the benches and their backs - luan and balsacore.

I have to figure out if I should put some kind of cushion under the 20 gallon tanks. The floor is slightly bowed so it seems like a good idea. Just not sure what - thinking yoga mat? Cut it to size. It could be too thin. Seems like closed cell foam of some sort will also help prevent condensation collecting there - seal it up good at least when the tank has water in it.

Attached Files:

11. jdory

jdory Senior Member

Working on the cabin.

Attached Files:

12. jdory

jdory Senior Member

As it stands today. Thinking I can't attach the cabin until I move the boat out of the building. Don't think it would clear the end wall truss. So I'll have to move the boat out not quite finished.

Attached Files:

13. jdory

jdory Senior Member

Fiberglassed the cabin sides and cut out for port lights.

Attached Files:

14. jdory

jdory Senior Member

Working on getting the cockpit closed up. Prepping the water tank/storage areas and closing it in.. gluing in the benches.

Attached Files:

15. jdory

jdory Senior Member

Decided to go ahead and glue on the cabin while in the more or less controlled environment of the shed. That means I'll have to do a bit more surgery on the wall than I had planned to get it out, but C'est la vie!

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.