1970 glasspar boat project

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by fortrice, Sep 12, 2013.

1. fortrice

fortrice Junior Member

hi I am a newbe to this site.I am replacing my transom and floor and have done the rip out even the old 200 lbs of wet foam.The stringers are resine and glass witch I Was glad to see.My concern is on the side of the hull were the floor meets there seems to be a skim coat of glass with what seems to be a fiber foam.It is all the way up to the gunnles.I plan on using polyester resin and 1.5 glass to rebond my new cdx 3/4 ply with 2 coats of poly res on the bottom and top.Under this skim coat of glass and foam is the main hull fiberglass.What I ended up doing is grinding out 12 in up off the floor hight all the way down the lenth of the boat in order to get a good clean surface for the bond between the floor and hull.Have any of you done this?I HOPE I did the right thing by removing it. I really was concern with the poly res having a bad reaction with the foam.I have a few more things that need to be answered butt being my first post I will take one step at a time .I hope to get some feedback on this.Thanks

2. fortrice

fortrice Junior Member

i posted this 2 days ago as a newbe not one reply should i try a new site?

CAN I POLYESTER RESINE AND GLASS OVER WHAT SEEMS TO BE A THIN THIN THIN SKIM COAT OF GLASS OVER FOAM ON THE HULL WALLS. I need a good strong joint when I put in my new floor and glass the floor to the hull sides of the boat

3. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Please post a few photographs of the "skim coat" area in question.
    Existing sound fiberglass needs to be roughed up for the new glass work to bond to it with a mechanical bond.

4. fortrice

fortrice Junior Member

pitchures

Thank you for chimeing in on this.I will try to get pitchures up asap.I would like to find out exacly what the name of this boat is.1970 glasspar flyin-v 175 the boat is 17 ft 2 in long.

5. fortrice

fortrice Junior Member

flyinv

I just answered my own ?. It is a flyin-v 175 I found a site with years of glasspar specks.Some were called cutlass citations avalone mine is named after the plane not a car pitchures are comin soon I am clueless with the downloading of pitchures the WIFE to the rescue

6. fortrice

fortrice Junior Member

boat bracing

my wife tried putting pitchures up yesterday but for some reason this site would not let her do so .Well anyway what I have goin on is that I have done the full demo on the boat floor and transom.I have the fiberglass stringer system so I was able to leave them.But the boat is like a wet noodle pretty floppy.To start with some sort of bench mark I jacked up the tralior and got it dead level.It has a lot of rollers on it to cradle the boat but since I did all the demo the roller system is just pushing every thing in on the boat.i jacked up the boat off the tralior from the center keel rollers about a 1 1/2 so the side roller system is no longer touching the hull sides.I The took a 2x6 and placed it on top of the center keel rollers and let the weight of the boat rest on center line keel.I then took some ratchet straps and and wraped the boat and snugged them up to the 88 in speck that I found on line yesterday.Am I doing the right thing here.Im trying to let the boat find its factory form before I start any plywood and glass work.

7. fortrice

fortrice Junior Member

no help

thanks for all the help twice I post a form and get nodda see ya

8. FMS

FMS Senior Member

It might behoove you to learn some patience. Understand most of us have full time jobs and families too. I have trouble visualizing your descriptions. I'd visit your site if I were within an hour of you.

The proper method is to brace up the boat before removing structure, stringers, bulkheads, etc so it doesn't lose its shape. Once it's distorted it takes care to get it perfect again. 10x as much work.

Test anything unknown by mocking up a small sample which you can test for compatibility and adhesion.

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This is a discussion forum, not a chat room, so replies may take some time, which is likely as your repairs will go - a lot slower than you'd hoped.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.