1938 Chris Craft

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by David Japp, Jul 24, 2006.

1. David Japp

David Japp classic boater

I live in the UK where I am restoring a 1938 enclosed Chris-craft and I am wondering if you can help with some advice.

Firstly, we are replacing the rotten non-original fore-deck. I am fitting new beams and plan to fit a ply sub-deck with mahogany planks epoxy on to it, but should the mahogany deck planks be close-seamed, or should they have a black caulking line between them ?

secondly, we need to replace the damaged chrome “hockey stick” trim that goes around the curved inside edge of the saloon-window apertures – can you suggest someone one who can supply it

I hope you can help me and look forward to hearing from you

best
    David

Attached Files:

2. Hunter25

Hunter25 Senior Member

Having just restored my 1960 Chris I can tell you there are a lot of places you can go on line that service Chris Craft.

Typical mahogany decks on runabouts are caulked. The only time I have seen no caulk line is on double planked hulls not decks.

I also had some metal trim pieces to replace or fix. I found if it is metal, it can be fixed and rechromed and this was usually cheaper then finding a better looking or reproduction piece from the Chris Craft parts businesses.

3. David Japp

David Japp classic boater

hi there
    thanks for this..I agree that all runabaouts have caulked decks, but my boat is a pre-war "cruiser" ,and from the catalogues/brochures of the period that I have seen, it looks as though they are not caulked...re the window frames, alas they are in very poor condition and I doubt they can be repaired so i will in all probability have to replace them...any ideas ?
    best
    DJ

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.