View Full Version : IMP Boats Information

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

pdave1s
09-28-2008, 03:29 AM
Ed,
I just think god wanted to keep you around so you could keep harassing me int getting the site back up lol.
Dave

edjunior
09-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Ed,
Sorry it too so long to reply. Trying to get finished with some work on my feet so I can address my winter projects. With this being my first IMP...and boat that is not a pontoon...is it difficult to change lower units from one manufacturer to another? Still waiting on pics of your boat. Can you recommend somewhere to see pics of different models of the IMPs...specifically 1983? I've been on craigslist all over the country and have seen many IMP boats, but it seems that there is a trend on the year, and model of the boats.

Thanks,
Tom

Okay, here's a few more pics tweissert. Sorry for the wait.

As you can see, my rating plate is right in the middle of the wall under the steering.

Just a good pic of the inside.

jersan
09-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Hey Ed,
Great looking interior. I keep forgeting to take my digital camera up to my IMP. If I can remember it on Friday, I'll try to take a few pic's before I take her out for the winter, which will be in another week. The marina wants them all out by October 30th, I guess they are expecting an early winter.At least I'll have time to winterize the engine, pressure wash her down, and get a coat of wax on before covering her up for winter. Didn't get to do it last year. I waited to long to take her out and they shut down all the water and power at the marina on the 30th of Oct.

edjunior
10-01-2008, 09:58 AM
OH man, I can't even imagine winterizing. I'll still be using mine on through October and maybe even into December. Not sure if I can back it all the way into the garage "in case of" a freeze, but I'd sure try. I'd still want mine to be ready to go even in January and February when a nice weekend pops up. Ohhh, to live in the north!

jersan
10-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Oh yah it's somtimes hell living up north. I know guys that go out up here until December. To cold for me out on lake Erie in December. I wish my garage was big enough to back mine in. I probobly could, but I would have to park the better half's car outside and I would never hear the end of that.

pdave1s
10-08-2008, 03:51 AM
Have you tried logging into the boatrebuilding site again? if is still giving probs, will work on it some more.
Been busy this week, watched a big loader drive over my 77 searay 240 sedan bridge, then selling all the leftovers.
As Things slow down around here a bit I will be continuing to rebuild the site.
Took my 75 glasspar on 4th test drive today, minus complete ineterior(easier to track probs)Had a ""blast, windy, rough water, and only a folding metal chair to sit on. Found out that I need to replace the power valve, and accelerator pump on my carb, but otherwise all system are go, will be building and upholstering the interior in the next few weeks, planning to video this, and post on the site
Dave
P.S I have a 0 hr rebuilt omc engine, and an 85 omc 800 oudrive with power steering to fit it going on ebay later this week. This package was built to go into my 70 IMP Aztec, before that deal went sour. have all cables and steering /throttle/shift controls to go with for that boat. Many here saw pics of these units on impboatclub.com before the site crashed. restoring it bit by bit.

stclairimp
10-08-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm unable to register with the Boat Rebuilding site. Is it up and running or are you still working out the bugs? There doesn't seem to be any image verification.

Thanks,
Dennis

jersan
10-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Just tried logging on, got right on with the password you sent me. Took a few pictures of my IMP this weekend. as soon as I download them I'll try to post them. Did a little tubing with her this weekend, but the water is getting to cold and it stareted out with 1 to 3 ft waves and kicked up to 2 to 4 footers, so we weren't out to long. When Lake Erie kicks up if you're smart you head back in. the IMP handles the 2 to 4's good ,can't say as much for my passengers.

pdave1s
10-11-2008, 02:46 AM
I am still debugging the software, as we just upgraded from freeware it is taking me a bit of time to learn the new board and get the kinks out, please bear with me as I am working on it. I will create a user account for you, and mail you a temp password, login, go to user cp, and change the password, and fill in the user info, Thanks,
Dave
boatsmith@hotmail.com

pdave1s
10-11-2008, 03:32 AM
If anyone in the northern Ca area has an early 70's AZTEC, or INCA, that needs a full restoration, and is willing to donate it to the club, I will do a full build at my expense, and make it available to club members for use on Clearlake Ca for the cost of fuel.(or maybe raffle it off for funds to hire a website designer to help finish up the site.) At the same Time I will photodocument the build from start to finish on the site. I am in the process of purchasing an industrial sewing machine, have the required woodshop/workshop to do it right, and take patterns for anyone needing interiors.(as I do interiors for the various models, I will create paterns, and make finished interior pieces avail on order! The person that donates the boat will get full priority use and the ability to use it on their local waters too. Everyone gains!
Anyone interested in participating in helping in the restoration, and learn hands on that can be arranged too.
I am just starting a rebuild of a 1975 glasspar, and will be posting that build on the site, and for those who have seen the old site, knows I have the skills, and this build will verify it. I also have a complete OMC 234hp 351 ford engine with 0 hrs on rebuild, and a good 1985 OMC outdrive (Complete) with full controls, and power steering for sale, will fit 73 or later IMP boats. $1300 plus shipping, and if local, will also help install and tune.
Anyone interested, e-mail me

Dave Smith
boatsmith
boatsmith@hotmail.com
For those who dont know me, I have been in to boating for over 40 years, know most aspects of rebuilding(need to learn more about mercruiser)
I am diabled and retired, I rebuild boats for a hobby, and have done many over the years. I also salvage unrestorable boats for their parts, and have a large selection, mostly OMC, pre cobra.
I also believe that a mans word is his worth, a deal is a deal, and comunication is a must. That a person should never stop learning new things, and not to be afraid to try new things. I have a large mechanical, woodworking, upholstery, and fiberglass background. I also have all the time I need to concentrate on the build.

khschmitt
10-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Hi guys.

I've got a '73 IMP with the full cabin. It is in need of lots of TLC. The motor is gone. Lower unit (OMC) is intact and had been overhauled many years ago...but I'm sure the seals need replacement.

Bones are good. Upholstry is shot.

Boat is located in Bartlesville Oklahoma. I have other uses for the trailer but would consider selling it as well.

Let me know if anyone is interested!

Thanks,
Kurt

pdave1s
10-28-2008, 05:55 AM
Too bad your not in Calif, I am looking for a new IMP project.
Dave

1973InckFisherm
12-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Hello everyone - I'm new here, but really happy I found this site. Last Feb I bought a 1973 IMP INCA '23 with a 302 mercruiser (ford block) engine and the pre-Alpha drive. The engine was supposedly rebuilt 2 years prior, but all I cared about was the hull as I had read of them being legendarilly tough and I wanted a boat that could handle Fl offshore fishing eventually. The engine ended up being seized which was irritating, but my long term plan was to upgrade and I really wanted a chevy block Mercruiser anyway so when I found a low hour drop in replacement and a great local mechanic to do the swap I jumped on it. During the swap the mechanic said that the stringers were in great shape under the very thick fiberglass as they had to use different mounts for the much newer Chevy block engine. He went over the whole boat thoroughly and said it's extremely solid EXCEPT for the transom which over 35 years has gotten soft. So, I'm having that done now over the winter. I can't wait to get this thing on the water. When I tested it after the engine it ran and cut through the water very nicely. I plan on holding onto this boat for a very long time. I've heard that the forward portion of the hull on these boats can be as thick as 4" and solid as a rock. I'm really excited about the upcoming year with this boat.

edjunior
12-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Welcome! Interesting story and good to see you've overcome some of your "issues". So far my IMP has been great. I have the OMC 5.0L and 800 stringer, and it's been a great setup so far. Mine is in really good shape...seems to have been very well taken care of previous to me. If I can keep up the maintanenace, I think I'll be good for a few more years at the very least. It is a really nice boat, and I'm looking forward to next summer...if I'm not in Iraq then.

1973InckFisherm
12-20-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm always glad to hear that owners have maintained a fine boat for years and years so that it's useful for a good long life. Mine was very well maintained (from the history I've gathered) for about 32 or 33 years then completely neglected for 2 or 3 by only is last owner. The boat overall is in fantastic condition except for the transom, but I can't complain about that at 35 yrs old I guess. And, after it's done, with the new engine and all new cables, connectors, hardware, etc and the new carburator I'm getting ready to put on it it should stay in near new condition for the next couple decades. The boat is perfect for fishing and has the history of quality behind it that gives me a lot of faith in it. I plan on using the heck out of it during the next couple summers and then we're intending to move back to Tampa Fl where I plan on using it a LOT more often. Just want to get EVERYTHING out of the way well in advance.

Stickdog
01-02-2009, 11:28 PM
I, like so many before me, am looking for more information about my 1970 23' INCA. I picked it up last Spring and enjoyed it for the summer months. Now, with more snow than water to enjoy, it's time to read up and make necessary adjustments.

In all of my research, I haven't found any other IMP's with twin six-cylinder engines. Are they that rare?

I would like to find a maintenance manual as well as a wiring manual since the fuel gauges don't work, and the tach's are intermittent. Other than that, things are great. Also, I would like to contact others in the Pacific Northwest who enjoy their IMP's as much as I have this year.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

1973InckFisherm
01-04-2009, 01:57 PM
That is a beautiful '70 INCA. I've heard different discussions on the twins actually which I've now heard of as twin V6, twin 302 and a costal patrol version which had twin 427 race engines. It is my belief that the twin configurations are ALL very rare as yours is the first picture I've even seen of one to date.

Congratulations on a very fine purchase,

John

pdave1s
01-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Amazon.com has the manuals you need. one is published by Clymer, The other is published by Seloc. Find the books that cover the year and make of your powerpackage. I highly reccomend buying both brands, they complement each other. Details not covered in one is covered in the other.
Goodluck on you endeavers
The DIY BOATREPAIR (formerly impboatclub) site has reopened for business, and can be found at http:/www.boatrebuilding.com . There is not much content there now, but that will change. I have 30 yrs in the boating industry and have found that boat repair information is scatterred all over the web. My goal is to provide a site that covers all aspects of boat repair, restoring, andboat building. I have accumulated a large databse of parts suppliers, how to video's. wiring diagrams, and service techniques. Most posts are replied to by me, of other members, within 24 hrs. I am in the middle of doing a rebuild of a 1976 glasspar open bow, and will video, and photograph all aspects of the build, including repairng fiberglass, upholstery, enginge and outdrive rebuilds. Threre will also be a members photo gallery for members to share their pride an joy.
David Smith
boatsmith@hotmail.com
http://www.boatrebuilding.com
707-998-8223
Any tips and advice are welcome.
Feel free to contact me with Any particular questions you may have, and I will do my best to help.

David Smith

snoproblem
01-15-2009, 08:31 PM
anyone interested in a 1 owner fresh water 1990 imp 270 express cruiser ? always stored indoors.more info at craigslist cleveland under 1990 270 express cruiser.

pdave1s
01-16-2009, 03:22 AM
The site listed above, boatrebuilding,com,formerly known as impboatclub.com has moved, it its now located at http://www.diyboatrepair.com The new site is open, and I will be posting some I.M.P sales brocures in the near future. pleas come on over and have a look around. The main site is still under constructio, but the forums are open
Dave
pdave1s2hotmail.com
boatsmith@hotmail.com
boatsmith@diyboatrepair.co,

fastracing96
01-30-2009, 01:36 AM
Just purchased a 1970 IMP Aztec Cruiser with a fresh 350. I must confess. I know jack about boats. The motor is new. The outdrive (omc i believe) is not tested. everything else seams to work. The inside is completely sun rotten. It has not been in the water in a long time. The hull seams in good shape. Motor mounts look new. Must have been replaced at the time on engine swap. On either side of the out drive there is an aluminum plate controlled by actuators. What are they called. what is there purpose. Is there anything I should know about this boat as I go through the motions of restoring it. .. I know all machines have there own personality.

Fastracing96@yahoo.com

snoproblem
01-30-2009, 07:34 AM
dont know much about the older imps,but were well built.the plates on each side of transom are trim tabs.you use them to level out boat from side to side and use them to drop the bow down in choppy water.you can use the if you have more weight in boat to get up on plane.about the omc drive,if it were me i would take it to a omc authorized repair shop to get looked at.such as gear lube,u-joints,and preasure tested before you get to involved with it.as parts for those drives are getting harder to find and are quite expensive.

edjunior
01-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Well fastracing, congratulations. I think you have a hard road ahead of you, depending on just how "rotten" that inside is. But if the hull, and especially the stringers are still in good shape, it sounds more like cosmetic work. The outdrive should be OMC (I bet it's white). Definitely have someone check it out for you. The aluminum plates are called trim tabs. They help the boat get on plane a little quicker, and also help keep the boat level when underway. Try and get some pictures of it up here..would love to see it.

tweissert
02-01-2009, 11:22 AM
I have a boat that hasn't been run in a couple of years and had very little gas in the tank. Can anyone recommend a way to clean the tak of debris? It will run at low Rsbut once the RPMs areup, it cuts out due to starvation. Is there a way to install a smaller tank?

Thanks,
Tom

TopekaBoatWorks
02-07-2009, 04:40 AM
Hey Guys, I will be a First time owner of an IMP. I am buying this weekend a 1967 IMP Navajo. It looks to be in great condition. I currently Own and operate Topeka Boat Works in Topeka, KS. My company restores Boats from the 60's up to the 80's. We specialize in Mark Twain's. I am an avid collector of Mark Twain's, currently owning 6 and Tom Sawyers.

I just wanted to share my good news with all you fellow owners, From What I know, IMP is a very good boat.

I will get more pictures as they come available.

fastracing96
02-08-2009, 09:05 PM
I will get some pics tomorrow and post them. The hull is very sound. All the rot that it got was from the sun... ARIZONA. So it is side panels and seats and I should be good. I fired it up and it runs great. I just was wondering .. when it is running there is a whining noise from the upper portion of the outdrive just behind the motor. Not loud. Kind of like a quieter gear drive on a small block chevy would sound. Normal?

Thanks

TopekaBoatWorks
02-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Here are the Pictures I promised. I bought this for $250. I took it out this past weekend and it ran wonderful.

bills245fish
02-11-2009, 07:53 PM
dpenn1 sorry i am resonding to your trailer question so late. i havent been on the site in quite awhile. i gave up trying to find somebody with a similar boat as mine. last spring 4-08 i bought a1987 IMP 245 fish that was in very nice shape. but had a blown head gasket.motor is a 260 merc. with alpha 1 drive.the boat was never docked used very little, and had never been bottom painted. since i would be leaving it in the water and had to sand and bottom paint. i was able to take a good look at the hull. these boats seem to have excellent glass work and built very strong.so i dought very highly the trailer was the problem. my boat came on a tandem axle float on trailer and did not seem to have affected the hull in any way. i am curious if possibly the boat may have struck alog or floating debris at some point in its life and thats where the problem started. but anyway its good to have found somebody with pretty much the same boatand it seems you did an excellent job on yours. i am curious if you were able to find any info. on yours, like owners manual etc... as i have none and havent been able to find anything or even someone with the same boat. anything you can pass on would be appreciated. i am in the cleve. ohio area and do alot of yellow perch and walleye fishing on lake erie. have had the boat out in 6 to 8 ft. waves and it handles great. thanks bills245 fish hschultz61227@roadrunner.com

pdave1s
02-15-2009, 05:34 AM
you got one hell of a deal, wait till yo get into some rough water, and you will see why we love these boats
pdave1s@hotmail.com
http://www:diyboatrepair.com (formerly the I.M.P. Boat Club, I am i the process of rebuilding the sit right now, and one have som IMP sales brochures up right now, but will be restoring the original dbase soon! The site grew into more than I can handle all at once, bu once it is finished it will be the source for IMP info
Dave

TopekaBoatWorks
02-17-2009, 01:13 AM
pdave1s-

Sounds Good. I took it out this afternoon..It was 48 out, with a south wind of 25 with gusts up to 33. The boat handled well, even though I was freezing....It was well worth. I've gotta few Interior items to fix up (molding) and then I'm going to install a stereo. I collect Mark Twain's, but I've thought about collecting these as well.

25thmustang
02-18-2009, 03:34 PM
I am currently fixing up a 1988 IMP 270 Liberty. The boat has twin 3.7LXs that the previous owner siezed up. I bought two used motors, will be swapping intakes, carbs, and some other odds and ends before dropping them in. The cabin will be redone as well, and the boat should be in the water come spring/summer time!

TopekaBoatWorks
02-24-2009, 02:39 AM
I bought another 1964 IMP Navajo with a Mercury 1000 (100hp) runs excellent.

Here is one picture until I get more.

edjunior
02-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Wow, don't see too many outboard IMPs. Looks pretty nice!

TopekaBoatWorks
02-24-2009, 11:24 PM
I thought it was a rare find, so I figured I didn't do to bad. The motor starts, but I'm replacing spark plugs and stuff tomorrow.

bills245fish
02-25-2009, 08:24 PM
last spring i bought a1987 imp 245 fish. Boat is very clean and so far i am happy with it. but have no owners manuals etc... for this boat. Have been looking on imp boat forum since since last year and have not seen anybody talking about this particular model in any size. So i am curious if there is anyone with any info. or any other owners of this particular model IMP. out there. you may also contact me at hschultz61227@roadrunner.com Thanks bills 245 fish.

michiganboater
03-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Dont really know if we are supposed to advertise in this forum but I have a wonderful 73' Aztec for sale. I pay attention to this forum for tech help and I thought there may be someone who could appreciate this boat on here. The boat has a 302 V8, 188hp and a Merc 888 outdrive, newer bimini top and seats, snap in/out floor carpet, a new battery, and a double axle trailer with newer tires and the lights work. Boat needs nothing and is in turn key condition. $1250 989-316-1187 -Bryan

socoman
03-14-2009, 05:44 PM
hi im new to the forum i have a 1982 apache with the 485 mercruiser setup after about an hour of boating it will start to idle rough and cut out at take off it runs at about 190 degrees a freind told me he thought it should run at 160 degrees i have had the boat for 4 years and it just started to do this last summer

David Valle
03-24-2009, 05:51 AM
Hi Im new to the forum and very excited that i can exchange ideas about
my old imp. I think its a 1967 20' Aztec. can someone help. Round transom seal omc outdrive v8 ( don't know what make or hp) It would help a lot to see
other imps like this one. I will begin full restoration this week
thanks
Dave valle

aztecboater
04-12-2009, 08:04 AM
Hi Dave,
I see all your posts are from a while back. I was wondering if you still have your IMP Aztec you were refurbishing? I recently bought a 1971 IMP Aztec and am interested in connecting with other IMP boat owners. You sounded like an enthusiastic supporter with the club you were starting. I'd like to hear from you.
Ros
Aztecboater
Irvine Ca.
rbregozzo@cox.net

CRB
04-14-2009, 10:27 AM
I purchased a 1969 IMP Santee. Can,t find the HIN. I need it to reg it. I have read all the old threads looking for clues.The Mi. reg does not have the HIN on it. My option are to locate it myself or have the coastgaurd or gov official issue one. I'd like to find it. I Thank you for any help. CRB:confused:

edjunior
04-15-2009, 08:24 AM
It may not have one. If it does, it would be on the starboard side on the rear of the transom. They were not mandatory until 1972. Check out this link:

http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.html

CRB
04-15-2009, 01:16 PM
ED, Thanks for help. Transom is clean. I knew HIN # compliance was required on stb tras post 72. I thought they would whave put a # on them SOMEWHERE prior. Thanks again, CRB

MCRAMM
04-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 1986 IMP Freedom x-245 and can not find any information on them. The boat is in great shape with it's original canvas and has a 350 Merc with alpha one outdrive. It needs a good cleaning but it is a very nice looking boat. I'll post pictures soon. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Thanks, Chris

michiganboater
04-19-2009, 10:33 PM
1973 IMP for $1250 is Sold, thanks

aztecboater
04-20-2009, 05:55 AM
Hello michigan boater and former IMP owner. Thanks for letting me know. I wondered if you could contact the new owner and see if he is interested in contacting other IMP boat owners? It would be appreciated. Thanks
Ros
Aztecboater

7277IMPAZTEC
04-23-2009, 12:27 AM
Hello everyone, new here just thought I'd drop in after reading some fourm post and let everyone know I have a 72 and a 77 aztez and both are water worthy and my kids love them. Colors are gold on the 72 and brown on the 77. I will try and post pic's in afew days.

Anyone have rail parts for my 72? Where can I get a new seal for my sliding walk threw hatch?

Yes I need more so lets talk IMP...thanks 7277IMPAztex

Cyprus106
05-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Last month I bought an X215 BR! I didn't know anything about Imps, (though I've been on a boat for a decade) but after checking out the condition, I figured it was a steal no matter what. I bought the boat with the trailer for less than $500.

Dropped in the water, she fired right up. The only thing I needed to keep it running consistently and acceptably was a fuel filter! It desperately needs a carb rebuild kit before any serious boating, and a tune up, oil replacement, etc... But for the price, I'm willing to live with a $20 carb kit :)

A lot needs reupholstering, I'm taking it to a guy tonight, and the ski cellar has no cover, but after falling into it a couple times you learn to step right on over! We're about to make one

The only three real problems are...
1) The ski cellar drains, but stops at about an 1.5 inch water that won't. I ran a hose to unclog what I thought was the drain to the bilge, but it seems like it's just draining into the open hull! I get the idea this might be a common problem?
2) The tilt motor is apparently kind of shot. When dropping the engine it comes down QUICK, and to lift it someone needs to be behind to to help it up or it doesn't have to juice to make it. the solenoid's clicking loudly when it drops. But the solenoid that's clicking is to start the engine, not for the motor. Anybody got any ideas on whats wrong there?
3) And the prop is bent, and it's apparently a pretty rare prop to find.

edjunior
05-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Okay Cyprus...wow. Pretty cool! As my stepdad would say...TMB (Thatsa mah boat!). Well, somewhat. Mine is only 19', and a cuddy, but still.

Okay, now to the issues. 1) I've found that my "inner" bilge (under the main decking" is sealed as well. There's a little "stopper" type drain that allows the water to drain to the bilge. But it doesn't always work very well. It is a not so good design. But the rest of the boat is supposed to be built well enough to not rot like other boats would of the same design. Or so I am led to believe. So far I believe it.
2) My outdrive drops very quickly also. VERY quickly. I've learned to "pop" the tilt button. It still slams down into position. The up though, yeah, that could be a problem. Mine comes up nicely also. But I do have to tie it up when transporting to the lake and back. It will drop on its own.
3) The props on mine were beat to pieces when I got mine. I now have a very nice Stainless Steel, and keep the aluminum beaters for a spare.

Good luck getting her fixed up. If you don't have a manual, get one. It'll make things much easier on you. I managed to get a great deal on the factory manual from a guy who just got rid of his OMC. You can find them on E-Bay, but their getting very hard to find. Seloc and the other one will do, but not as good as the factory. Keep us posted!

7277IMPAZTEC
05-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Cyprus106, to your question on trim, try checking the wires at there connections. You my have 12 volts at you switch and only 6 or so at the solinoid and thus you will have a click but just not enough juice to get the job done. The old wire they uesd where to small and are now old and brittle and some of the original connection where cut to deep at the wire eye lets.

Nice buy on the boat, good luck and happy boating.

Cyprus106
05-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the info guys! Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the offending solenoid. Interestingly enough, the one that clicks very loudly when I press the tilt up button (which, is it backwards for anyone else? the down button is facing the bow for me...) is actually the soleniod that starts the motor.

I've been hard at work on the aesthetics. Took off all the wood trim, stained it and lacquered it. The ski cellar had no door (that was a fun discovery inspecting it late at night with no flashlight) so I took some one-bys, got my hands on a router and made me a surprisingly nice cover. Too bad the wood in the locker is rotted.... Buffed and waxed the paint back to it's shine and sent the seats off to be reupholstered and reinstalling the metal that had been ripped off and sitting around the cabin... We're quickly fixing mech. issues and I'm surprised at how nicely she's coming together!

So far the frontrunner for naming her is "Boatweiser". I AM from Saint Louis, after all :P

edjunior
05-15-2009, 10:24 AM
If I remember, I can look in my manual and see what the deal is with the tilt system. I think I actually copied those pages out for someone else, but can't remember for sure.

It will be interesting to see the progress of your boat. I hope you got some good before pictures, so we can see the amazing transformation to the after!

Cyprus106
05-15-2009, 11:01 AM
OMG any docs would be amazing, edjunior! btw, if you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for your boat?

Heh, good idea on the "before"s... I better do them tonight if I'm going to do them at all. I'm already quite a ways along towards the "after", though she still looks kinda like a mess. You should have seen it when I got it. I cleaned out about 50 beer cans, dozens of wasp nests, old bottles of suntan lotion, and layers of mold from every orifice you could think of!

edjunior
05-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Well, actually, I traded my motorcycle and the trailer I hauled it on for the boat. Decided to change hobbies for a while. Just as the gas prices started shooting through the roof last year!

I started cleaning out the cuddy in mine when I got it home and noticed some mice had made a home up there during the time the guy had it stored. I found out a few minutes later that it was not a mouse...it was a huge freakin' rat! Just crawled out of the cuddy (almost over my feet), climbed up on the side of the boat, went out the back, and I never saw him again. I'm thinking he made one of our local owls a nice dinner!

And as I said above, you really need to find a manual for your engine/outdrive. The factory manual is best, but one of the others would be helpful in any event.

Cyprus106
05-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Wow, you bought a boat because gas was getting expensive? You're a braver man than I! I guess prices on the water aren't exactly the same in Texas as they are up here in Missouri! Just kidding, I get it. But it sure sounds funny if yours is anything like mine (it sure LOOKS the same!) I get something like 6 to the gallon.

I'm not even sure how to go about finding a manual? And my desperate search for the tilt stuff hasn't proved too terribly fruitful quite yet.

edjunior
05-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Here is a Seloc: Seloc Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OMC-STERN-DRIVE-REPAIR-MANUAL-1964-1986_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem2ea53cee6bQQitemZ200340729451QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature)

Here is a Clymer: Clymer Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Clymer-OMC-Stern-Drive-Shop-Manual-64-86_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a3Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem3351b76b94QQitemZ220414307220QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature)

I didn't see any Factory OMC manuals on there. The consensus seemds to be that neither of these is as good as the factory, but both together seem to make up for most of what's missing between either of the two (dang...did that make sense??).

Oh, and by the way, I didn't get the boat "because" gas was getting expensive...it was still around $2.40 (or so) then. But my timing was just bad. Get rid of a motorcycle that gets 50 mpg and get a boat that gets maybe 5 mpg...on a smooth lake! Oh well, sometimes you get lucky...sometimes you don't!

7277IMPAZTEC
05-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Cyprus106, if you need some info from a manual I can also copy a few pages for you from my manuals. I have mercruiser manual for the MR and merc 1 model, also the OMC, stringer E model that covers 120 hp thru 235 hp also have the parts list for the same OMC models. The OMC manual is a 1977 vertion but OMC sold the same drives I think all the way up to ether 86 or 96. Glade to hear your getting the boat back together, look forward to seeing pics

edjunior
05-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Hey Cyprus, I almost forgot about this. Here's a link to free manuals. Not the best as far as quality goes (the pictures and such), but it's there anyway. If there's something missing in one, let me know and I can try and fix you up. Meanwhile, this should get you started. Oh...these are pretty big files, so be patient.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309093

rs2k
05-17-2009, 06:27 PM
I just picked up my second IMP boat. I have owned an 18' IMP Pawnee for some time now, and now I own a 28' IMP Kansa with twin 260HP OMC Chevy 350s. The quality is evident in both boats. It needs some work, but I really look forward to getting my newest addition on the water. I look forward to seeing what 520 horses can do to a 6000 lbs boat.

roo1113
05-17-2009, 06:39 PM
i just got this imp boat from my grandpa that died i few months ago... well i know nothing about these boats... i dont even know what kind of boat this is besides an imp... so can anyone tell me what type of model this is....

roo1113
05-17-2009, 06:58 PM
ok here are the pictures sorry...

rauchcory
05-17-2009, 07:37 PM
I just got a free imp today.

here is the information I have
'23
the engine is stamped omc 225
small cuddy cabin

The engine is shot so my biggest question is can I drop a SBC or SBF in place without changing the outdrive

Thanks a lot for your help

rasorinc
05-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Why not drop in a marine rebuilt 225? Then you can use all your manifolds, started, alternator etc.. Be much cheaper and easier as all will bolt back up.
That is a ford engine I believe. Plenty of rebuild shops on line or you can have your block re-done.

rauchcory
05-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Simply because SBC can be had dirt cheap and I know the engine well, that and the aftermarket support for SBC

the 225 is a ford motor? Would a 5.0 bolt in place? The same things I mentioned regarding the SBC would apply to the 5.0 as well

rasorinc
05-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Is the 225 a V6 or V8? If it is a V6 then it is a GM block. answer this and I'll send you some links. You will have about $6,000 in a new chevy with all the equipment. A rebuild with X-tra HP under $3,000

rauchcory
05-17-2009, 08:59 PM
it is a v8

rauchcory
05-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Is the 225 a V6 or V8? If it is a V6 then it is a GM block. answer this and I'll send you some links. You will have about $6,000 in a new chevy with all the equipment. A rebuild with X-tra HP under $3,000

Oh im not looking to spend that kind of money by any means, I'll pull a used engine for a couple hundred, just have to know what I need. This is just going to be a river rat

rasorinc
05-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Here is a link for rebuilt marine engines. They offer GM (chevy) Chrysler and Ford--many with X-tra HP to give you a handle on prices. While they are on the west coast there are dozens of shops on the east coast offering much the same. Please do not put an auto engine in your boat.http://www.usengine.us/marine.html

rauchcory
05-17-2009, 09:12 PM
I see no link. What C.I. is the omc 225 v8? and is the block gm or ford.

Why not put an auto engine in? The boat is not going to be nice ever, that's not why I'm getting it. I simply need it to be together and on the water for as cheap as possible.

rs2k
05-17-2009, 09:37 PM
There are many difference between the auto and marine engines that you may not be aware about. Some of the differences can be very important.

You must use:
Marine carburetor.
(Failure to do so may result in an explosion or fire.)
Marine starter.
Marine alternator.
Marine Camshaft.
(Failure to do so may result in VERY poor performance and/or engine destruction through water ingestion.)
Marine distributor.
(Failure to do so may result in an explosion or fire and/or poor performance and engine destruction.)
Marine exhaust manifolds.

Unless I'm forgetting something, most of the other small block engine parts are the same or very similar.... A truck or RV camshaft is also very similar to a marine camshaft, but a car camshaft WILL NOT WORK and will probably damage the engine by sucking up water through the exhaust while decelerating.

rs2k
05-17-2009, 09:39 PM
If you want to go dirt cheap you can get away by putting in a truck engine, but YOU MUST use the marine accessories I listed in my last post. Oh, don't use an intake manifold that has an EGR valve. You don't want CO leaking into your lungs.

rs2k
05-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Oh, and if you have a V8 Chevy YOU MUST use a pre-1987 engine with a two-piece rear main seal. A one piece rear main seal WILL NOT work on the OMC stringer drive. No one makes a drive coupler for the stringer that works with the one-piece seal.... I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with the Ford or Chrysler engines.

rauchcory
05-17-2009, 09:45 PM
ok so the only difference in the short block is the camshaft. That's very easy to take care of.

i really need to confirm that a SBC will matte to the out drive I have

rasorinc
05-17-2009, 09:50 PM
http://www.usengine.us/marine.html
Here is the link on rebuilt mare engines and their cost. sorry for that. Who inspects bpats in your state? If you change out an engine you may be subject to a current inspection. If you do not let your insurance co. know then they will find out later and deny coverage as they should.

rs2k
05-17-2009, 09:54 PM
I have not heard of the 225 before.

I am familiar with the following models only:

rauchcory
05-17-2009, 10:02 PM
I can't believe how little information there is about these boats.

i have been digging online since 4 and haven't found much more than this thread.

I also can't find very much info on OMC before they came out with the cobra

rs2k
05-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Looking at the wrong picture... Sorry

rasorinc
05-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Get a number off the engine or registration. The 225 is something the boat maker put on it maybe referring to HP.

rs2k
05-17-2009, 10:09 PM
I love my stringer drives. I like them even more than my mercruisers. They are easy to winterize, bullet proof if you treat them right, they can turn your boat on a dime, and the water impeller will outlast the mercruisers by a long shot in a torture test. A VERY nice benefit of having a stringer drive is that your stringers are overbuilt. It's amazing when I think of all the old boats I've looked at. I've seen a ton of i/o's and outboard with rotted stringers, but it seems the stringers just don't rot on a stringer drive boat. All of your power goes through the stringers, not the transom.

rauchcory
05-17-2009, 10:09 PM
here is the boat I was given.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/1144079785.html

I know it's not much to go on but maybe you can help ID it.

rs2k
05-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Can you snap a quick photo of the engine and post it? Or can you maybe describe it... Like where the distributor is located?

rs2k
05-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Whoops.... Disregard my reply about the steering cable. I was looking at someone else's photo.

rauchcory
05-17-2009, 10:14 PM
The boat is at the marina about 45min from here, The dist is in the rear so I know that the motor is not a ford or big block chrysler. As a matter of fact now that I think about it I'm almost positive it is a SBC.

Im heading down tomorrow to pull the engine and bring it home either way if it is a SBC I will just rebuild it

rs2k
05-17-2009, 10:15 PM
1973 Imp Marine Aztec Walkthru

rs2k
05-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Most likely an SBC Chevy 350.

rauchcory
05-17-2009, 10:18 PM
1973 Imp Marine Aztec Walkthru

walkthru?

rs2k
05-17-2009, 10:18 PM
If you can post a picture I can tell you for sure if it's an SBC. Does it have the round exhaust manifold logs?

rauchcory
05-17-2009, 10:19 PM
If you can post a picture I can tell you for sure if it's an SBC. Does it have the round exhaust manifold logs?

yes it does.

rs2k
05-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Nope, I'm sorry. It's too big for that... It's a 1973 Imp Marine Inca Cuddy Cabin

rs2k
05-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Does it have electric trim? I don't mean tilt, I mean the trim that raises the front of the entire engine.

rauchcory
05-17-2009, 10:35 PM
I don't know actually. I only looked it over for about 15min

rs2k
05-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Is the block in the engine cracked? Is it a rebuildable core? Yiou can have a Chevy marine 350 rebuilt for as low as $1100. You will either have to rebuild your carb for $30 - $50, or if it has been sitting a very long time you will probably need a new or rebuilt carb. You can get those on ebay for $250 - $300. There is a good chance that the tilt motor has gone out if the outdrive has been sitting for a while. Those can be had for $50 - $150 on ebay, or if you are really good you can try taking the tilt motor apart and cleaning it up.

If you want to get by with a dirt cheap solution you could find a running pre 1987 Chevy 305 or 350, change over the camshaft and marine accessories and hope for the best.

Just remember that the IMP Inca is a very heavy boat. Any motor that is put in there will be under very heavy loads at all times. A rebuilt marine engine is a sure bet.

rs2k
05-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Do you have a method to R&R the engine yourself?

rasorinc
05-17-2009, 10:42 PM
iN THESE TIMES FORGET DOING IT YOURSELF. you can get a rebuilt for what you would pay for parts.

rs2k
05-17-2009, 11:13 PM
I agree. By R&R I meant do you have a safe engine hoist available.

Cyprus106
05-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Just snapped a few pictures of the '84 a couple of days ago. Thought I'd share the carnage :)

These are kind of mid-rebuild. This is actually better than when I first bought it, but gives a pretty accurate description of exactly what I mean when I say "much needed work" :P

On a high note, we took it out yesterday after my buddy rebuilt the carb and she's running great right now. We even got some tubing and wakeboarding in! It's getting up to 40+ pretty easy but that's rapped out, so we've got a little motor work to do, but all in all, I'm pretty impressed! She'll be great for labor day weekend :D

Aah, and she's got a name: "Always 5:00 Here" (And we named the trailer too... Aquahaul :P )

edjunior
05-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Wow...almost a carbon copy of mine...except for the bowrider part where mine is a cuddy. Same dash layout, same cushion design, same rear seat..I think, same motor, even the whaletail! My upholstry had already been redone by the previousl owner (or the one previous to him), and is in pretty good shape, except for a couple of spots where the rats chewed. Anyway, good luck with it, and looking forward to seeing your progress.

Chris K
05-19-2009, 01:47 AM
I own a 20 foot 1969 IMP. At one time it hard a hard top and does not have a walk thru. It has a Chevy 302 that appears to be original. Does anyone know the make of this boat. The hardtop has since been removed. It has windshield wipers and raised rails around the front and rear of the boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pdave1s
05-19-2009, 03:38 AM
When they drop hard, and need assist, or very slow on rises, means tilt clutch mechanism needs service
Dave

edjunior
05-19-2009, 10:48 AM
I own a 20 foot 1969 IMP. At one time it hard a hard top and does not have a walk thru. It has a Chevy 302 that appears to be original. Does anyone know the make of this boat. The hardtop has since been removed. It has windshield wipers and raised rails around the front and rear of the boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it's a Chevy, it's a 305...302 was the Ford engine. Not sure about your boat, but it sure sounds like an Aztec...they seem to be the most popular IMP, especially with the hardtop.

CRB
05-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Chevs in 69 were 307 , 327 crank running in a 283 block . The 305 is later production , 350 crank running in a smaller bore yet. clarification,CRB

edjunior
05-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the clarification CRB. I didn't know that.

Lt. Holden
05-24-2009, 12:31 PM
1969 Camaro Z-28s made for Trans Am racing (my dad had one) had 302 c.i. displacement; I believe they ran 327 pistons with 283 c.i. rods for an over bore setup. The 1969 307 c.i. (my mother had one) was a long-stroke smog motor and a real dog compared to the 302 or 327. I don't know how many 302s made it to marine use, I have seen a few, they may have been transplants.

CRB
05-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Lt. Holden, You are correct the chev 302 Whitch first showed up in 67 is a 283 crank running in a 327 block ,Mark Danahue made this engine noted in driving Roger Penske's Z-28's. Made it's HP at high rpm and low on the torqe #'s. I don,t know of any OEM using them in marine service. How ever you take a 307 whith a long 327 stroke and small 283 bore and put it in marine service without the smog requirements. It produces very good torque #'s at the low to mid RPM ranges for it's small displacement. Just what is required to push a boat. CRB

MWHILL
05-29-2009, 12:11 AM
New to this but I agree with edjunior,as far as I ever remember the 20 foot boats were all Aztecs.
302 was most likely a ford if the distributor is in the front,I remember omc used ford more than the rest but I have seen older volvo and mercruiser drives use some fords early on,mostly 60s and 70s boats.
Our first imp had a 231 buick in it when we bought it but was quickly replaced by a 327 chevrolet v8.

R.LEE
06-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Hi!

I'm new to this forum too! Found this thread while searching online for info on IMP. I was also unable to find much info about IMP boats. Have many of the same questions as mentioned. I am considering purchasing an IMP Navajo from my in-laws but was curious to learn more about it first. I don't know the year, but I know the price is reasonable. In reading the forum I saw that many of you have Commanches or Aztecs, does anyone else own a Navajo?

Jake- where in AZ are you? I'm in AZ also!

Thanks for all the info! So far this has been the most I've been able to find!

Dot

Hey, just read your post. I have owned a navajo IMP for 12 years it has a mercruiser 233hp 351. Its a 1976 and I rebuilt it myself. It has 366hrs. Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions.

golfeugene
06-19-2009, 07:56 PM
hello, i own a 18ft imp with a inline 6 165 merc i have read about models but i dont know what model i have seen pictures of aztec dont think that could be mine but i could be wrong can anybodt tell me the difference in the models

golfeugene
06-19-2009, 07:59 PM
buy the way it a 1970

rs2k
06-19-2009, 08:35 PM
What kind of hull does it have? Deep-vee, tri-hull, shallow-vee? Does it have a cabin? An open bow?

golfeugene
06-19-2009, 09:45 PM
closed bow deepv soft top

golfeugene
06-19-2009, 09:46 PM
no cababin small area like a storage area

golfeugene
06-19-2009, 09:47 PM
thanks rs

golfeugene
06-19-2009, 10:13 PM
you from kansas go to perry? im in leavenworth

1969Navajo
06-20-2009, 11:00 AM
My parents have a 1969 Navajo IMP that they bought new from Wilson Hardware in Iola, KS. We are trying to find an exhaust manifold for the left side. The boat has a 327 Chevy engine. Any help will be appreciated.

Tommy1995
06-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Hey all, new member here and I have an 93 IMP eleganza with a 454. I took it out on the lake today and everything was fine for about 30-40 minutes. While going at a pretty good speed but not topped out I hear a loud popping sound coming from the motor. I slow down to check it out and put her into idol. I'm still hearing the popping sound but it is not in a pattern or constant like it would be with lets say a rod knocking and its a much different sound. It sound like a cap gun going off but much louder. I open the motor cover and it sounds like its coming from the carb. I check my temp gauge, oil gauge and all is fine. She is not smoking and when I give her gas she had not lost power but the noise gets louder. It gets louder but no more constant. so RPMs does not effect the popping noise. It does sound like the carbs are back firing. I just wanted to ask to see in anyone has any ideas?I was able to get her all the way back to the boat ramp. This is my first boat and the very first time I have ever launched a boat or even been on the water other then on friends boats. Any help would be great! Kinda messed up my Fathers Day plans! :mad:

edjunior
06-21-2009, 10:30 AM
You'll probably get better answers for you mechanical questions at one of the following links:

iboats Forum (http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)

or

MarineEngine.com Forums (http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12488/12488.shtml)

Check them out. For the record, I don't think I've ever heard of a 327 in an IMP before. Not from the manufacturer anyway. Could be a replacement??

pdave1s
06-22-2009, 06:19 AM
My parents have a 1969 Navajo IMP that they bought new from Wilson Hardware in Iola, KS. We are trying to find an exhaust manifold for the left side. The boat has a 327 Chevy engine. Any help will be appreciated.

I have a pair, off a '70 350 that will fit, came out of 70 aztec. send Email to pdave1s@hotmail.com, and I will send you pics I am asking $125 for the pair plus shipping, and will not separate the pair. They are clean, been rodded out, and repainted in High temp grey paint.

pdave1s
06-22-2009, 06:26 AM
Hey all, new member here and I have an 93 IMP eleganza with a 454. I took it out on the lake today and everything was fine for about 30-40 minutes. While going at a pretty good speed but not topped out I hear a loud popping sound coming from the motor. I slow down to check it out and put her into idol. I'm still hearing the popping sound but it is not in a pattern or constant like it would be with lets say a rod knocking and its a much different sound. It sound like a cap gun going off but much louder. I open the motor cover and it sounds like its coming from the carb. I check my temp gauge, oil gauge and all is fine. She is not smoking and when I give her gas she had not lost power but the noise gets louder. It gets louder but no more constant. so RPMs does not effect the popping noise. It does sound like the carbs are back firing. I just wanted to ask to see in anyone has any ideas?I was able to get her all the way back to the boat ramp. This is my first boat and the very first time I have ever launched a boat or even been on the water other then on friends boats. Any help would be great! Kinda messed up my Fathers Day plans! :mad:

That is the classic sound of an intake valve that is not sealing properly, at high rpms it does not leak enough to seriously affect power, but the more you run it the more damage it does to the vale seat. A full valve job sounds in order, and youll prob gain a bit of HP you didnt know yu had lost.
Dave
ps diyboatrepair,com is temp offline, as I am undergoing cataract surgery and cant keep the hackers out, so I sut down temp, We will be back and better than before.
Dave

1969Navajo
06-22-2009, 03:30 PM
The boat was bought off the show room floor in Iola KS in 1969 and the engine has not been replaced. I will have to look at the paper work but my dad has always said it was a 327 and that is why he bought it.

You'll probably get better answers for you mechanical questions at one of the following links:

iboats Forum (http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)

or

MarineEngine.com Forums (http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12488/12488.shtml)

Check them out. For the record, I don't think I've ever heard of a 327 in an IMP before. Not from the manufacturer anyway. Could be a replacement??

edjunior
06-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Interesting. I surely wouldn't argue it, just hadn't heard anyone talk about a 327. The 305/302 and 350/351 were the popular V8's.

Do you have any pictures of this boat? Sounds like a nice one.

1969Navajo
06-26-2009, 11:12 AM
Here are some pictures not the best but all I could come up with at this time.

dkile
07-06-2009, 11:32 PM
I have a 1967 IMP, it is 19ft with a 250 engine. It is marked as an Oceanic V on the hull. I have not seen any reference to this model. I found a 1971 Commanche with what appears to be a pull bar above the hull close to the rear of the boat, the poles go through brackets on the top of the hull cap. My 1967 has the same holes in the hull cap as this boat has, was a pull bar for a skier an origional option.

Tommy1995
07-15-2009, 12:41 AM
That is the classic sound of an intake valve that is not sealing properly, at high rpms it does not leak enough to seriously affect power, but the more you run it the more damage it does to the vale seat. A full valve job sounds in order, and youll prob gain a bit of HP you didnt know yu had lost.
Dave
ps diyboatrepair,com is temp offline, as I am undergoing cataract surgery and cant keep the hackers out, so I sut down temp, We will be back and better than before.
Dave

Good call. Yep it needs a valve job. Looks like I shut her down before I did any other damage. Shes at the shop now and they have the heads off and sent them to get checked out just to make sure they arnt damaged. gonna be about $800 before I get back on the water. One good thing is that I bought this boat used and I the guy told me it had a rebuilt motor and when the shop took a look in the motor they said it was so clean you could eat off it. Sounds like it was well taken care of.

edjunior
07-15-2009, 07:46 AM
So just for future information, and especially in this case since it was a rebuilt engine, what might have caused this issue requiring a valve job? Anything we can learn to help prevent future occurances is always helpful!

Tommy1995
07-15-2009, 12:09 PM
So just for future information, and especially in this case since it was a rebuilt engine, what might have caused this issue requiring a valve job? Anything we can learn to help prevent future occurances is always helpful!

From what I know so far is a rocker arm came loose. I know they make some type of safty cap so that wont happen and the shop is going to put them on this time.

jgowdy2
07-19-2009, 03:10 AM
well new here I am trying to find some info on an IMP IOLA Mohawk. i have no idea of the year i am thinking late sixties. i found a picture from a brochure from redfish with a boat with the name Mohawk on the side and it looks alot like mine I just cant find anything else. other than restoration I was wondering how big an outboard the boat would support. the boat is in great shape although it has no seats or motor. it was in a barn covered by a canvas tarp for 15 to 17 yrs the old man died and the new owners of the property gave me 50 bucks to haul it off for them:p

IMP1967
07-27-2009, 12:31 PM
I am sure that replacing the floor on this model is not much different than other boats but I am new to boating and boating repairs so thought I would be as specific as possible.
Question:What type of wood/flooring should be used in a boat and are there any special procedures are tips.
BTW it is a 1967 IMP Navajo and the family and I just bought it in great working condition it just has a few soft spots.

double-b
07-29-2009, 12:37 AM
new to this site. I am wondering if someone can help. just pulled out grandfathers imp after sitting for years. it has always been in garage and covered. it is in excellent condition. I have not pulled the cover yet to see engine. he said it was a 225 olds but could be wrong. he said it is a 73 but not sure on that. I think it is an aztec. it is 20 foot closed bow. i was wondering if this sounds correct. the vin on the back of the boat is xmp j1363 0673 any info would be great.

edjunior
07-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Welcome. The 73 at the end of the HIN (Hull ID) would indicate a 1973. I can't remember for sure on the Olds engines (when they started/stopped using them), but I know they did. Parts are very hard to come by for it.

See if you can find a CG rating plate somewhere inside the boat. This will sometimes list the model of the boat (mine actually says Comanche, though the hull says it's a X19 SC...as they were changing from indian names...the 1983 was still listed as a Comanche). It will also state the load rating.

Anyway, sounds like you have yourself a neat old boat if it can be fixed up. Do you have any picture??

double-b
07-29-2009, 07:21 PM
no pictures yet. I will have them this weekend. there isnt much to fix. I am in the process of replaceing the transom seal just to be safe. this boat looks like it just came off the showroom floor. I will look at the tag tomorrow and the engine.

double-b
07-30-2009, 10:16 PM
pulled boat cover off. it is an aztec. it also is a 225 oldsmobile v8. does anyone have a horsepower rateing on this. I can not find that online. also I have a completely rebuilt 188 horse 302 marine engine and mercruiser lower unit. I was wondering anyones thought on switching this over. it would allow me to trim and maybe not take half the lake to get on plane. not to mention parts are easier to find. thanks

edjunior
07-31-2009, 10:16 AM
Here you go double-b. Find your model number (on the engine/outdrive) and you can get your HP. As for swapping for the Mercruiser, with enough money and time, anything can be done, but realistically, with that big hole in the transom, it would take a lot of work to rebuild the transom. There are those out there who have done it though.

marybethh
07-31-2009, 01:52 PM
Has original upholstery in pretty good condition. It has one stripped screw on the distributor cap - but otherwise will run.

185 HP 283 Chevy v8 engine. FM marine radio, Bennett trim tabs, Eagle fish locator and tandem axel trailer with spare included. I also have the original service manual and owners manual to include.

It's located in northern Illinois - in the Chain of Lakes area. I haven't fished with it in quite a while, and it needs some TLC.

Best offer - call if you have questions. 224-805-9089.

double-b
07-31-2009, 06:20 PM
is the 225 oldsmobile label on the valve cover the horsepower. because nobody has ever heard of a 225 olds v8 engine they are telling me it is probably a 350 rocket. I dont have a clue

stylin_k
08-01-2009, 02:51 PM
I have seen alot of mis information given on this forum. I have owned a 1975 IMP Aztec and the Iola Manufactured Plastics company of Iola Kansas has gone through various stages as a company and is now defunct and out of business since it's last production of the 2004 model year even thought they were built in 2003! There is a marina in LOTO that bought most of the POS parts and was their main dealership in sales. Most all engine and drive documentation is free on the web via BRP. The 225hp is a GM 307 and mostly chevy and olds gendered. The GM block has almost 50 more hp and is completely inter changable with 305 and 350 parts. I just repowered my 221 hour 307 with a new long block 350/290 HP and does it fly! Let me know any questions offline and would happy to help!

double-b
08-02-2009, 08:12 AM
thank you for all the info

25thmustang
08-04-2009, 01:56 PM
I just started tearing into mine, trying to get it ready before the end of the boating season. It isn't a "classic" IMP like the majority, but it is exactly what I wanted in a boat.

Just wish it didn't have twin 3.7 Mercruisers... Yikes.

wd0331
08-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Hello, I recently purchased a 1976 IMP Inca in need of major TLC. I ran across this site, so I thought I would join. I would be very interested in an IMP only Forum, as I cannot find any info on this boat. I plan on performing a complete rebuild of this ol' gal, while documenting the entire process so others can learn from my mistakes! An IMP forum would be a good place to do this.

double-b
08-09-2009, 03:24 PM
I just changed the transom seal on my 1973 aztec. I want to change the impeller in the lower unit for the lower water pump. does anyone know if this comes in a kit with all the seals to do this or any part numbers. I need it fairly quickly I am going to the lake in two weeks. thank you. it is a 225 omc

wd0331
08-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Ebay has some kits. There is another site called iboats that has the kits also.

double-b
08-09-2009, 05:50 PM
it is a 1973 aztec with a 225 omc it has two wires going into the lower unit. would that be what they call electric shift unit or is there another model number

edjunior
08-10-2009, 10:44 AM
double-b..you may also want to post your question over on this board:
http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12488/12488.shtml

These guys are pretty knowlegeable about sterndrives in general, and there are a couple of OMC guru's there.

Javajesus..I think we can leave the discussion here for now. This thread is about IMP's, and everyone knows where it is (subscribed). Not sure what's up with Dave. I know he's had some medical problems off and on, maybe they're back on. Anyway, not sure there are any IMP "wiz kids", just those that have stumbled on these fine boats and are out trying to find info. I know Dave has lots of older brochures on them, but again, can't seem to keep going long enough to do anything with them (post them). I'm sure he'll be up on the board here and pipe in at some point when whatever has him down right now is cleared up. It would be great to get those brochures at the very least.

Tommy1995
08-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Just a quick question, and sorry but I'm a noob. I put my IMP at a marina today because I got really tired of having to launch it on the ramp everytime I want to go out on the water. While at the dock the motor kept lifting up and you could hear some kind of short that was causing it to go up as soon as I would put it down. I think it is a bad switch but my question is if I have the motor trimmed all the way down and don't plan on going anywhere shallow or trying to take it out of the water is there any reason why I couldn't put the motor all the way down and then disconnect the hydraulic system power while its down so that it would not have the power to come back up. I just need a temporary fix while it go out over the weekend. so guess what Im asking is there is no reason why I couldn't put the trim all the way down and just go out on the lake is there ?

series60
08-18-2009, 09:55 AM
I have been working for 2 weeks now tearing everything out of this IMP cuddy. The hull looks to be in good shape but the sole and the waferweld material the manufacture used to reinforce/soundproof the inside of the hull was completely saturated with water and some type of chemical that gave off a very distinctive odor. Most of the waferweld has now been removed which is a very big job. Lots of crowbars and grinders required for this. I will be relocating the fuel tank forward 6" and adding 4 stringers. Before the cuddy sole goes on I will be adding an anchor locker high in the bow for rope storage which there is none. Water tight storage under the bed bunks for ice and food and a few small dry storage areas will be incorporated. Aft I will add two large fish holds with hatch access. I have refreshed all the wire connections including all the grounds at the engine. Replaced thermostat, rebuilt starter and solenoid, replaced both burnt exhaust manifold gaskets. New impeller for the Alpha 1 is on it's way. This boat was stored in saltwater for several years so there is lots of little things to fix but most can be done without major expense.

There is very little published about the boat or it's manufacture. Some history about Iola Molded Plastics (IMP), the manufacture, can be found on the net but very few picture of this boat.

I am going to try my hand a building a 'foam under glass' engine cover when the time comes. Some re-engineering will be required here but that is why I decided on this project in the first place.

I have been using Boat Builder Central - Howtos (http://boatbuildercentral.com/howto/repair.php) for my rebuild support. There is a lot of great info on their site for all kinds of boat builds (kits) and rebuilds.

Here are a few pictures of this project.

The boat:
http://www.thecyberguy.com/IMP/DSC02336.JPG

Out with the old:
http://www.thecyberguy.com/IMP/DSC02292.JPG

This is the waferweld material I am removing:
http://www.thecyberguy.com/IMP/DSC02287.JPG

Once all the waferweld is removed I will be going in with two layers of Biaxial Glass Fabric (45/45), 12oz., 50 in. wide applied with no blush/std cure epoxy for added strength to hull before stringers and storage go in.

This what waferweld looks like when it comes apart:
http://www.thecyberguy.com/IMP/DSC02293.JPG

I would like to correspond with anyone about this rebuild project. Additionally if there are any folks out there that might know where to get a copy of a sales brochure for this vintage of boat I would really like to hear from you. Please email me directly at: series60@verizon.net

edjunior
08-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Wow...that is the definition of a project, no doubt about it. I have a 1984 X 190 SC...the 19 foot version of that same boat. But mine has the OMC 5.0L and stringer outdrive. It has the same graphic design scheme for the sides as well, and I wonder what color yours was before all the sanding that looks like was done at the rear. Mine is maroon on the bottom (under your anti-fouling paint) and at the rear and along the top side accent. I would love to get those graphic accents fixed, just to make it look a little better.

You can see some pics of my boat back on page 26, 30, and 34.

I sure would be interested in seeing the progress you make with your boat. Sounds like way more work than I will ever be capable of, but you should have a great boat when you're done.

series60
08-18-2009, 02:01 PM
edjunior: I love the colors of your interior. Still undecided about my colors but I kept a copy of yours. Mine is the grey - gold - merlot color with grey on the bottom and stern, two stripes about 1" wide 2" apart just above where the bottom grey stops and then 3 wide grey & gold & merlot stripes along the port and starboard quarters. The anti-fouling paint on the botton covers most of the hull. I haven't done any sanding on the colors, they are just in very bad shape. I will probably keep the same design but I'm going for a little more flash with the colors.

http://www.thecyberguy.com/IMP/strippingontheside.jpg

Spent 2 hours today chipping the old poly off the inside. This boat has had a long history of improper sole repairs. There is a lot of excessive use of cloth and resin without much attention to proper technique and spillage. This war story could go on a bit more but no need - this will be made right!

Here is a link to more pictures and info on the tear down. I incorrectly typed in the wrong model number (Y) instead of X215SC on that initial listing at forums.bateau2.com. That site is another great resource on rebuilds.
http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19955

PS: what part of Texas and have you ever fished strippers at Whitney?

edjunior
08-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Thanks. The previous owner said the interior had been redone "a few years ago". I got the boat in March 08. The interior is still in pretty good shape, but some meeces got in there and chewed a few corners, and made their home in the cuddy. Pretty scary seeing a 9 inch rat come waddling out out of there when I lifted a chewed up life jacket! Good thing my wife didn't see it or she would have never gotten in the boat. Ever!

I am just north of Houston, fairly close to Lake Conroe or Lake Livingston. We usually go to Livingston (that's the picture of the boat in the water...my wife is behind it in the water). I've kinda given up fishing out of it. We usually just park it by an island (Pine Island) there at Livingston, and enjoy the swimming.

odarol
08-19-2009, 02:49 AM
Hi I'm a new member of the forum and I thought I would share some photos of my Grandfathers I.M.P Aztec '72 I think. I has been at Lake McConaughy for the last 37 years with one trip to the Pacific. I think that everything is original still, but some work needs to be done. We still have the original OMC 225 manual, and the original reciept. The boat runs great when it's going, but will sometimes not start, or die when we put it in gear. We think it may be partly due to bad gas (as it sat for 4-5 years) but are not really sure what the problem is. I hope to keep it in great shape for another a 30 yrs and that the forum can help to guide me.
34174 34175 34176

34177 34178

34179 34180

javajesus
08-20-2009, 02:06 AM
Man, that is a fine looking boat. Mine is a 79 aztec ( I think ) and is currently in "fun" mode until winter when i can start on the interior.

An update on the IMP owners site. I have the domain registered and hosted and I will be uploading the forum in the next week or so. I am looking for ideas as to what aread you all would like.

The domain is IMPBOATCLUB.COM same as before.

edjunior
08-20-2009, 09:47 AM
I have an original book that came with this boat, but it's just the "general" IMP boat information, nothing specific on "this" boat or the OMC like odarol has. That is some really cool stuff to still have.

I think the restoration section is going to be a good one. I can't remember what all the original site had, or the numerous attempts by Dave. Just not sure how to break it all down. But I spect we'll find out once we get it going! Looking forward to it.

double-b
08-22-2009, 06:05 PM
I finally got it running, and rebuilt the lower water pump and replaced transom seal, It started right up after filing the points. pretty good since it has been sitting in a barn since 2002. here are some pics

edjunior
08-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Double B...that's a fine looking boat. Did you see where javajesus got the impboatclub up and running. Check it out.

Jeff
09-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Discussion on the impboatclub website.forum split here: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/press-releases/new-imp-website-forum-29109.html

edjunior
09-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Ah, thanks Jeff.

javajesus
09-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks Jeff.

TopekaBoatWorks
09-12-2009, 02:21 AM
Well this will be my 3rd IMP, I am looking at it this weekend, and buying it the following weekend. Claims to be lake ready!

Jammin61
09-14-2009, 11:21 AM
I have been looking at this boat for a month or so.....it is a 1979 IMP 23' Inca Cuddy....@$6000.........the Marine owner took the original I/O motor/drive out and turned the compartment into a live well / cooler......bolted a transom in place of the outdrive.....installed a commericail 185HP Evinrude outboard motor.....has anyone seen this done before on a IMP and what were the results?????? the boat is in fair shape....just think the price is alittle high..........NADA books it out at $2200.........any info would be great..

edjunior
09-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Well, I personally haven't seen this, but have heard of it many times. And yes, $6,000 is way too much, even for a 23 footer. but that's just my personal opinion.

wd0331
09-14-2009, 09:56 PM
Jammin61, I would probably look for something else. Not only is 6k way too much for a boat of that year, but the outboard is another issue. I/O boats are normally built different at the transom area than outboard boats are. An outboard motor places different stresses on the transom than an I/O does, and they usually have support braces built into the stringers that this IMP does not have. Also, if they just put a patch over the old outdrive hole, then the transom is probably ate up with wood rot. Furthermore, there are other technical issues such as prop depth ect. that completely change the handling characteristics of the boat from how it was originally engineered to perform. This is just my opinion, but I would pass on and look for something else.

javajesus
09-16-2009, 09:04 PM
6K! Wow. I would pass on that. There are lots of other IMPs out there for less money. stclairimp has one for sale, I? think $500. Needs some work, but the price is right.

cjcrader
09-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Never seen another one! I've got matched stainless turbo props & syncroniser for throttles, power trim tabs too. Ever see an Inca doing 55MPH?

Does anyone see the value in this boat or care to suggest sale price? Swim deck and all wood is good condition. It's ready for new upholstery. New bimini top with zipper side windows.

javajesus
09-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Post some pics of this beast! I'm sure those that know can give you a better idea once they see the pics.

M.J.B.
10-01-2009, 06:01 PM
1989 23.5 ft. sport boat, 235 IMP Europa, 350 Magnum (270 HP). New trailer with only one complete season on it. 3 Canvases: Convertible,Cockpit, and Mooring.
Electronics: Stereo, Fish finder, GPS. Trim tabs and all the accessories need to boat safely includes flares, lines, life jackets, fenders, etc... Only interested buyers to respond, no brokers. Email address Bystd@aol.com
$12,995.00 or OBO. In Chicago area.

edjunior
10-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Wow, what a beautiful boat. It shouldn't last long.

javajesus
10-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Wish I had the scratch. Nice boat.

M.J.B.
10-01-2009, 09:35 PM
I bought the boat new and have had it for 20 years. I mainly use it on Lake Michigan. Rock solid hull and handles 2 to 3 foot waves with no problem.

hankyou
01-04-2010, 07:20 AM
THIS SPRING:

I will have a 1976 IMP INCA 23ft 233hp Merc FLYBRIDGE for sale.

I am in northern Michigan and there is no trailer.

I love this boat but due to health problems, I am forced to sell.

A few details:
> It has been unused for 3 years (I hoped for a medical miracle)
> It has been professionally winterized, launched, shrink wrapped, maintained yearly by a marina staff for at least 20 years.
> Almost everything is original except the aft seats (they disintegrated). All other seats, engine cover, vinyl, windows, trim, paint, jellcoat, railings, etc is original.
> outdrive replaced in 1985
> new canvas 2001 (?)
> FLYBRIDGE works but shift sticks and I don't use it. Steers fine and view is awesume (my favorite place in this world)
> Has added swim platform, LAN-C/fishfinder combo, new horn, 2 batteries and perko switch, spare prop, all lights worked, good bilge pump and switch, working marine radio and antenna (but I broke the mount)
> The last time I used it, I took the relatives tubing, and it performed flawlessly.

I imagine it will need some work since it has been sitting on blocks in the marina. If you love IMP Inca's, this a jewel. I would NEVER sell it unless I had to, and would have used it the last three summers if I could have.

I want to find someone that will use the boat for recreation and appreciate the design, manufacture and history of IMP's. (I won't just dump it on Craigslist.)

If truly interested, tell me your location, questions and email.

wildcat71
03-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Hello, i am a new member here @ boatdesign.net, and i am also a "new" IMP owner. purchased an '84 IMP X-180BR for $1200 and it has a Chrysler 105 outboard on it. havent had a chance yet to take it out and see what it does, but i have heard it run, and the only thing i can find wrong with it (sittin on the trailer) is the "white anchor light" doesnt work. have purchased the water adapter for the motor, and also a SELOC brand manual for the motor.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/136/l_4d77cf745bf140de9c2bf7a625126e82.jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/116/l_db90498e698d4c7ea3f76c38106fa514.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/125/l_014ad205cad44a429225fac58886fd21.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/133/l_24425f910382405d9f517dc799073061.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/130/l_233e85bf0d0745238f74935724a1f093.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/122/l_0755355109ed4c8cb3dc2bd0ba46248f.jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/146/l_f061b71aa8fe43c588526905996b83b0.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/127/l_4d399bbec3f148b6ac53ffc9c18f8496.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/127/l_538b96e23e60463785f188093a4cae26.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/143/l_fd46d52218724a6d8ea5a5d60448c803.jpg

ill be running it in the Colorado River here, which runs through Lake Havasu, Lake Mohave, and Lake Mead. hope to get a test run here sometime soon as its been around 75-80 degrees in Lake Havasu already. anyone with info or advice for a first time boat owner, whether it pertains to this boat, or boating in general, id greatly appreciate it.

javajesus
03-06-2010, 02:23 AM
Nice looking boat! I wish it were that warm here in eastern Washington. 50 is about all we got so far. My tip.....Don't forget the plug! You will, once. But that is all it will take.

wildcat71
03-17-2010, 12:50 AM
thanks javajesus, looks like ill be hittin the lake this weekend, weather reports are sayin mid 80s to 90 degrees with winds from 5-20mph. ive registered on your forum as well, just need to wait til payday to finish registration. ill let ya know how everything goes.

hogleg1
03-20-2010, 09:35 AM
just purchased a 1968 IMP 21 ft hardtop , with a 327 chevy motor and a mercruiser outdrive . Boat was stored in a garage since 1987 . trying to get it fired off today . Boat is in exceptional condition , other than the vinyl covered side panels for thr hardtop . The wood is bad , and am going to replace it with mahogoney .

hogleg1
03-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Chevs in 69 were 307 , 327 crank running in a 283 block . The 305 is later production , 350 crank running in a smaller bore yet. clarification,CRB

I have a 1968 Imp Aztec , 21 ft 225 HP , and it has a 327 Cevy

wildcat71
03-21-2010, 01:32 AM
well, took the boat out today. took a lil while for the motor to warm up (20-30 mins) idk the last time it was out. did pretty good, for awhile, than i started to find a few issues.

1: max rpm on the motor was only 3500, book says should be 5000-5500. 3500rpm, with 4 adults 1 teenager, was good for about 30mph on the choppy water.

2: after running for about 1-2 hrs, the engine just died. wasnt getting any electric power out of ignition (key) switch. after some searching, checking fuses, wiring, and ignition (key) switch. realized there was a circuit breaker (with a reset switch) in the ignition system. reset switch, and all was good. so i thought. when trying to run above 2000-2500 rpm, breaker would "trip" after a short while. nursed it back in to the docks only running about 1500-1700rpm.

everyone got a lil sun, and was a pretty good day for the first run IMHO. so if anyone knows what or where i should be looking for to fix these "initial" problems, any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

EDIT: also, does anyone know it they make a "reseal/rebuild" kit for the hydraulic trim/tilt. '78 Chrysler 105hp Model#1057H8H Serial#X1362

hogleg1
03-21-2010, 01:55 AM
Mine is a 1968 and the block numbers check out as a 327

25thmustang
03-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Does anyone have a good place to go and part out a 27' IMP Liberty? My hull was neglected and unless I find someone who wants to save it, I plan to part the usable items out.

Thanks

edjunior
03-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Does anyone have a good place to go and part out a 27' IMP Liberty? My hull was neglected and unless I find someone who wants to save it, I plan to part the usable items out.

Thanks

So, are you wanting to part it out, or are you trying to find someone who is parting another one out to fix it up?

You should go over to www.impboatclub.com and list it there as well. If you're wanting to part it out, your local Craig's List is a good place, as well as E-bay. Also good places to find one that is being parted out.

SANDERS
04-03-2010, 12:36 AM
I Just Got A 1977 Imp Aztec And Am Looking For More Info . Such As Owners Man. Fuel Cap. Parts Exc. Any Ideas

battguru
04-24-2010, 05:29 PM
I am new to boating and purchased a 1985 IMP boat. On the boat it has the letters X210SC but I have searched all over the internet and have not been able to find this type of boat. All I have been able to find is a 1985 IMP X215 SC. Can someone clarify this to me as I cannot even find it on the NADA books under the models they have listed for this particular year. I want to start fixing it up and want to have the correct model to purchase parts. I have looked all over the boat and cannot find a plate with the boat information, any clues as to where I might find the plate?

series60
04-24-2010, 08:08 PM
I am new to boating and purchased a 1985 IMP boat. On the boat it has the letters X210SC but I have searched all over the internet and have not been able to find this type of boat. All I have been able to find is a 1985 IMP X215 SC. Can someone clarify this to me as I cannot even find it on the NADA books under the models they have listed for this particular year. I want to start fixing it up and want to have the correct model to purchase parts. I have looked all over the boat and cannot find a plate with the boat information, any clues as to where I might find the plate?

I have a 1984 IMP X210SC. Get the hull number from the stern starboard side just under were the deck joins the hull. Probably just about center above the swim step. Then check your HID# here (http://www.boathistoryreport.com) to verify it is what you think it is. I have a complete rebuild in progress right now. I don't mean to scare you but you might want to look at my site (http://www.thecyberguy.com/IMP/IMPX215SCrebuild.html) for a better look at what you are dealing with.

Here is just some of the info I have gathered since I started this rebuild. I have more. Email me directly @ series60@verizon.net (series60@verizon.net) and be sure to check the IMP forum here (http://impboatclub.com/).

IMP X215SC 228HP Chevy 305cu
HIN: XMPL7346M84(yr built)K
Model Year: 1984
Certification Year: 1984 (June)
Manufacturer: IMP BOATS
Manufacturer City/State: IOLA KS
Eng model: MCM 228
228 HP 4 bbl 305ci
Eng SN: 6811457

IMP MARINE
PO BOX 102
IOLA, KS 66749

The original company was called Red Fish Boats in Kansas. In 1963 they were bought and renamed by the Iola Molded Plastics (IMP) and apparently were around by that name until some time when they were bought out by a Florida-based company called International Marine Products. That company did not last for too long before going out of business. This is the history according to others that know much more than and have been around longer than me.

battguru
04-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Thank you for your asistance, I will check where you mentioned for the information I need. I do have the year and HID number as the boat is registered. The thing that is confusing me is that the boat is labeled X210SC but there are no records of IMP making a X210SC. I have located records mentioning the boat you purchased but not mine. I had already downloaded the history report from the site you mentioned and it did not contain any information as to the model for my boat. My question is if this is a special model given it is not the X200SC or the X215SC or is this considered a X215SC??? Also on your site you mentioned yours is a Cuddy Cabin is that the class of boat I own? I appreciate your time and help with this and for taking the time to help someone out who is new to this.

JRA
05-07-2010, 11:08 PM
I just bought a 1970 23' IMP Inca, really like the boat,tested her out ran good but when we got to shore there was some transmission fluid and water mix coming out of the out drive. Having it worked on,pulled the motor and trans, looks like the trans cooler is good,so the mechanic is thinking either the boat had lot of water in it or the bellows did have a hole in it causing water to seep into the trans, any suggestions would be helpful, really like the boat,thanks

bhelton
07-10-2010, 08:37 AM
I own an 83 IMP Inca hardtop with cuddy. It is in excellent condition for this age boat. All upholstery is original and in great condition. Some very minor fiberglass scrapes on upper keel from loading and unloading on a very old trailer. My issue - the engine suddenly lost oil and froze up. Does anyone have a recommendation for rebuild or replacement of motor?

kenworth22306
08-19-2010, 11:57 AM
does anyone own a imp x 270 1985 mercruiser chevy 350 looking for prop size and pitch

bhelton
08-19-2010, 03:14 PM
I own an 83 IMP Inca hardtop with cuddy. It is in excellent condition for this age boat. All upholstery is original and in great condition. Some very minor fiberglass scrapes on upper keel from loading and unloading on a very old trailer. My issue - the engine suddenly lost oil and froze up. Does anyone have a recommendation for rebuild or replacement of motor?

I think I'll sell this one. Anybody have a suggestion about where to go to price it for sale?

edjunior
08-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Kenworth/bhelton. Why don't y'all head over to www.impboatclub.com and check it out. Lots of good info over there, and people may be looking to wheel and deal. Dave (boatsmith) has lots of parts for sale as well.

J3
08-20-2010, 03:18 AM
Why not pick up a longblock for her?

mperry
12-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Im back again
I found that i have a cracked exhaust manifold and when i hooked up the water supply to turn the engine over there was all kinds of water running out of the bottom of the motor where there are 3 large holes. I was wondering if this is a bad sing Im afraid that she might have a cracked block but Im not familiar with boat cooling systems and dont know what to think. I havet been able to start it yet since the battery is totally dead so i will have to find another before i turn it over. Any info that you all could send my way would be appreciated. I am considering completly rebuilding the motor assuming the block isnt cracked. Well thats enough for now
Grgoyle1229

the 3 large hole sound like freeze plugs. thats where i would start. pretty inexpensive and easy fix.

edjunior
12-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Wow mperry. First, welcome to the board! Second, you gotta look at the dates. That post by grgoyle1229 was from back in 2005! Would be cool to know if it got fixed or junked though.

Do you have an IMP? If so, check out the IMP boat club at www.impboatclub.com

supadave01
01-16-2011, 03:40 AM
Hi everybody, my name's David. I just got my hands on a 1968 Imp, but I have no idea what model it is. What I do know is that it has a Chevy straight 6 and a Mecruiser outdrive. I'm going to have to pull the outdrive off to replace some seal and I'm going to have to rebuild the engine, but other than that the thing is in great shape. What can I do to find out the model that my boat is and where can I look to find a manual for the engine and outdrive?

IMP-ish
01-16-2011, 04:17 AM
Congrats on the new IMP David!

Can you post some photos of your new boat, engine, and drive?

With some photos, someone will be able to ID both the boat and the drive for you.

edjunior
01-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Hi Supadave01. If you head over to the impboatclub site, we can get you fixed up with all you need. Well, maybe not "all" you need, but we got some pretty knowledgeable folks there that are ready and willing to help you out.

Congratulations on the new boat.

jmc1805
02-01-2011, 09:39 PM
I fixed up my 1978 IMP X250 this past summer. Here are some pics.

jmc1805
02-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Here is the exterior.

edjunior
02-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Nice jmc1805! why don't you head over to the IMP Boat Club website at www.impboatclub.com and share there also. Lots of IMP owners there.

IMP-ish
02-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Nice work jmc1805!

This was the golden era when boats were sleek but still fun to use and maintain without spending a quadrillion dollars. Nice to see yours in great shape.

Paint?

CLWoodell
02-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Hey guys, I am new at this. I am really not sure my title is correct fro this post. Just some digging that I have check with the Coast Guard Hull ID my IMU is an IMP. Which know one around me has ever heard of and has told that I bought something that was not worth a crap. Well I check NADA I came up with a 1998 IMP 220 WA Sportsman with 3.0 Mercrusier Alpha 1. I am not really sure becuase there was not manual when I bought the her. NADA showed from what i could tell around $10,000 value. I bought this great boat which we all love for $3,500 Boat, Motor and Galvanized Trailer. It ran perfect the first time I put in the water in October. Had her serviced and waiting on the warmer weather to get her out and running.

My questions is is this the correct model? How would I find out for sure. All markings and tags have been removed from boat only the stamped HULL ID on the transom is how I how found out it was an IMP before I purchased. Any help that anyone could help me with would be great.:!:

IMP-ish
02-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Congrats!

Please post some pictures of your boat so people can see what you have.

Also at Ed Junior's link above which is a lot more IMP owners/enthusiasts.

As you found, you can get the length, year, and of course builder from the HIN number.

Enjoy the boat, but don't get too concerned about the NADA value right now - the market is still flooded with boats for sale so values depend on whether you need to actually sell the boat now or whether you can hold on to it and enjoy it.

jmc1805
02-11-2011, 07:33 PM
The boat has orginal paint. I added the red stripe to the bottom of the blue gelcoat so the blue stripe would not look so wide.

R/V Gaitero
03-02-2011, 02:21 AM
How is your IMP working out?
;)

viper125
03-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Well new member here and first post but Id like some info. Any one know much on the IMP boats. I have found a 1971 straight 6 I/O 20 footer hard top IMP. Solid hull and floor needs some TLC been stored 4 years but ran good before. Says interior is faded not tattered. What kind of price range would you call good. Are these 20 ft any good for rough erie weather? What kind of gas usage would you expect. I do expect to clean and maybe redo interior and maintainance on engine and boat. Well any info,tips or advice would be appreciate.

pdave1s
04-10-2011, 04:15 AM
For those members of the impboatclub, many of you may have noticed that the site is off line! The webmaster is overwhelmed with work, and was hit by a denial of access attack that wiped out everything currently online, and apparently he was not as diligent as possible on his backups during this time. He is trying everything he can to get the site back up and running. In the meantime, I am working on setting up a new site, that will be comming online soon, diyboatrepair.com , no timeframe yet as to how soon the site will become active, but when it does I will post a notice on this thread. The site will cater to all makes and model boats of all years, as most of the main systems are the same. there will be be separate threads for all makes, as people post. the fist I will create will be for Iola manufacturing plastics, aka IMP. I was the former owner of the impboatclub domain name, and am trying to get the new owner to transfer it back. I am planning major changes, such as no mebership fees, I have located great sources of hard to find parts, gaskets, complete rebuilt drives, fiberglassing materials..., and am negotiating with these companies to sponsor the new site in exchange for a listing in the parts, Materials, and accessories section. There will be links to the us coastguard power squadron, and safe boating courses, gps maps and charts... full schematics for both OMC, and Mercruiser. I am also in the middle of filming a complete overhaul of an OMC electric shift outdrive, showing how to get around the need for OMC special tools, with full plans for homade tools, and outside sources of specialty tools that will work, and at much lower cost! Edjunior knows me, and can vouch for what I am trying to acomplish. I have a lot of the old manuals, flyers and photos from the original site, and am available now if you need advice. Feel free to email me by email pdave1s@hotmail.com and I will respond within 24hrs, please include your phone number, so we can talk directly about your boat, and whatever may be wrong, so I can help get you back on the water.
Dave
aka boatsmith on the impboatclub site
pdave1s@hotmail.com

FORDFREAK05
07-17-2011, 09:51 AM
i have a 77 x250 it has twin 350's that are both twin turbo ed anyone have any info on it i was told it was in hotboat mag in late 70's

FORDFREAK05
07-17-2011, 06:39 PM
well pulled the motors and interior, gas tank and found that the core was shot as you can see the hull move from under the boat when you walk inside . and it seams to be all the way to the front of the boat i dont think this one is fixable or worth it??

IMP-ish
07-18-2011, 05:24 AM
Hmm, that doesn't sound good FordFreak. Even famous hulls with issues don't have a ton of $$$ value with so many boats on the market and getting into major glass work is itchy and not that fun. But it's hard for me to visualize exactly what you are seeing. I don't think there is probably a way to post photos of what you are seeing, is there? If not, is there a fiberglass guy around you who can have a look for a second set of eyes?

FORDFREAK05
07-18-2011, 11:04 AM
i am good with fiberglass so that does not bother me . is it worth fixing ? lots of work i figure i could do it for less than 2500. but still thats 2500 and 2 weeks of working on just fiber glassing and grinding but is it worth it. what is the boat worth fixed .. ,

here are some pics from my untrained eye rotted core . looks to be 7/16 balsa . or was it 1/2 ? never messed with a core . or do you add more stringers and say no more core. this i know nothing about.. thanks jason

rcvandal
07-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Hi everybody, my name's David. I just got my hands on a 1968 Imp, but I have no idea what model it is. What I do know is that it has a Chevy straight 6 and a Mecruiser outdrive. I'm going to have to pull the outdrive off to replace some seal and I'm going to have to rebuild the engine, but other than that the thing is in great shape. What can I do to find out the model that my boat is and where can I look to find a manual for the engine and outdrive?

So Dave decided he wanted his backyard back and has sent the IMP to me for a small sum.

She is rough and honestly my plan is to have my 17yo son rebuild a motor from the 2 I received and re-install one of the 2 outdrives I received so that he can learn a little about engines, mechanics and repair. Strip the interior, glass it out, replace some canvas as the bows are still good and turn this into a Puget Sound, San Juan Island crab, shrimp and salmon harvester.

As I said, she is very rough, but salvageable, if there is anyone who would rather do a restore, I will let her go very cheap at this point. Here are some photos.....

Also, the Hull # is KH20803, is there any information to be gathered from this?

gilbert pierce
07-20-2011, 10:02 PM
I just came across this site by accident. I have owned this IMP Cherokee since 1969. I ordered this boat from the Factory. I wanted it solid white. It was the first one they made solid white. I still have the boat, Restored it in about 1998. Replaced the Chevy Four engine with the inline Chevy Truck 250 cu. in. engine. It hasn't been in the water for several years. I intend to get it out and de-winterize it and starting get it ready for the lake.

edjunior
07-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Wow Gilbert, that's a pretty cool looking boat. It's pretty incredible that you've had it all this time and it look that good, restoration or not! Welcome to the IMP club.

moeller87
07-24-2011, 06:12 AM
love the cherokee, my dad had one when i was rowing up, looked for one for the past 5 years, settled foe a beat up pawnee, needs a lot of work but its at least the style i wanted

gilbert pierce
07-24-2011, 08:27 PM
I've got orginal brochures from IMP for 1969 and 1971 with price lists. If anyone is interested I will scan them and post them.

The Pawnee list price in 1972 was $3335 plus $2850 for the OMC 155 with power tilt. The stern drive prices varied between $2520. for the 120hp Mercrusier with Power Trim to $3365 for OMC 235 HP with power lift.
The tandem axle trailer was $550.

Wonder what it would cost to buy a new one today? When I bought mine in 1969 I remeber filling the gas tank the first time for $0.30 per gallon.

arnoldstl
08-06-2011, 07:02 PM
New here but I'll jump right in.
I've recently been offered a '77 IMP Clawson Aztec with trailer for $600. First I've not seen any mention of the "Clawson" anywhere but the word Aztec is on the "glove" box. Now the caveat, it belongs to a coworker who needs it gone to be in compliance with an ordinance, which means part of the deal would be to rid him of a second boat. I'm told the 351 Windsor in the IMP needs some considerable work however the other boat has a small block 350 which appears to be in pristine shape (no rust, good hoses, new belts). I'm hoping to swap the motors and restore the IMP but am unable to determine its true value. Short of needing new carpet and upholstery she and the trailer seem to be in remarkable shape. In short I need any possible information that may be available and whether or not this is even an endeavour worth taking.

Thanks for your time and your thoughts

IMP-ish
08-07-2011, 04:46 AM
The 351W was a bit stronger engine that the 350 chevy, but who cares if the 350 is pristine and the windsor has seen better days. The little unforeseen parts you replace when doing a project like this always seem to add up, but if you've got the time and can do the motor swap, I say have fun and restore a classic! Check the transom and stringers before you jump in. Is the same drive spline on the boat with the 350?

arnoldstl
08-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Surprisingly the boat is in good shape structurally, cosmetically is another story. I'm not positive since I haven't measured but the motor mounts are extremely close if not the same in any case I'm sure they could be moved. I have not gone so far as to check the spline but I believe the necessary parts could be acquired. We haven't ruled out rebuilding the 351 as of yet though. Going further I'm curious if anyone out there knows anything more about the boat itself (I'm told it may actually be a '76 instead of a '77).

As of now I know this much '76 or '77 IMP (Clawson?) Aztec.

Thanks!

SAXPHON
08-10-2011, 04:01 AM
New here - found this site through Google. My father bought an 18' 9" IMP tri-hull in the summer of 1971. It has an 85 hpr Evinrude motor (outboard). Very little hours on this craft - used the first 10 yrs in Lake Tahoe (CA) maybe 5 / 6 weekends a year, and then only less than 8 hours each day. Since 1984, it has been stored in a garage.
I have a lot of fond memories, fishing with my Mom and Dad and just 'bobing' around on the lake. However, times are tough now and I need to sell the boat. I have no idea what this craft would be worth. There are no scratches or damage to the boat and the trailer is in great shape as well.
Anyone out there that might have some thoughts on it's value, I'd love to hear them. Thanks for your help.

edjunior
08-10-2011, 09:42 AM
Well, you can always go to www.nada.com and check the value there. For IMP's, it only goes back to 1977 though, but it could give you a rough idea. And that motor sitting for so long, will need some work to get back to running condition. Good luck.

Boat69
08-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Here are the pics of my 1969 IMP. The dash says that it is a vacationer, but I have absolutly no info on the boat. She is going in next march for a full remodel. I am looking for the original seat layouts and paint schemes. If any one has any info it would be extreamly helpful.

gilbert pierce
08-12-2011, 06:23 PM
I have brochures for all of the 1969 IMP's but do not have that one in my catalog. That boat is not included in my brochures. In the early 70's when they were owned by APECO Corporation they also had some family cruisers and house boats but I do not have literature on those.

Boat69
08-12-2011, 06:55 PM
The funny thing is, even when I registered it at the DOT office, they didn't have any clue either. They had to ask me what I thought the capacity was. I want to put new seats in and flooring, but I don't want to take away from the original style. I was amazed at how little is on the internet about boats, that is unless you want to buy one. :)

edjunior
08-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Those front cabin boats are some goofy looking things, but at the same time, they have a certain great appeal. And they sure open up the back of the boat! What kind of outdrive is that?

IMP-ish
08-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Looks like a merc alpha with pre-alpha trim cylinders and the skeg chipped off.

zoom240
08-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks to everyone for the posts on IMP's. This thread gave me the courage to buy a 73 IMP Inca when I bought a lakehouse this summer. The boat has pretty much spent it's life on a lift on my dock. The previous owner bought it when it was 5 yrs old and kept it here ever since.

The boat worked fine for a week, although the engine probably needs a tuneup. Problem I experienced is that we ripped the engine out of it's mounts towing my nephew on a tube. First time anything like that's happened to me.

I haven't shopped it around too much, but one of the local marina's said it would cost $2000-2500 to cut out the old stripping and fiberglass new strips in for the motor mounts. In general, the boat is in pretty good repair otherwise.

What should I check for in order to decide whether the boat is worth the repair? Is there some cheaper alternative to replacing the stripping?

Wish I had pictures of the boat - they are still on the camera at the lake. All I've got are the motor/mount pics. The boat has good clean lines - got a lot of compliments in the short week we used it.

Thanks,

Dave

gilbert pierce
08-14-2011, 06:31 PM
In my Cherokee those motor mounts screw into the wooden beams (stringers) that are glassed over. From the picture it looks like water got down around those bolts and rotted the wood they were screwed into.

If it were mine I would take a awl or ice pick and see if those beams have good wood in-front of and behind where the motor attaced at the front.
I bet the wood is good and both sides.

I would get four pieces of angle iron that would enclose the top and most of the side of those stringers. Two pieces on each stringer. Screw these angle iron pieces to the good wood on the stringers and attach the engine mounts to the angle iron pieces. Have someone weld nuts on the bottom of the angle iron pieces before you bolt them down and then attach the motor mount bolts to the angle by screwing them into the welded on nuts. I woud use angle iron of at least 1/8" thick and as long as you can get that will fit on the stringers.

This idea probably needs some refinement but I don't believe a repair is a big deal.

zoom240
08-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Gilbert,

Thanks for the suggestion. When I get back to the lake, I'll definitely take a look at the mounting holes and look at whether I can use some angle iron to remount the engine.

Dave

IMP-ish
08-14-2011, 11:44 PM
Start by assessing how solid the stringers are. Drill some test holes through the fiberglass on top and along side the stringer and see what the wood is like. Fill the test hole with epoxy if it's ok not rotten.

The only longterm solution for rot is to rip out the rotten wood and replace. It's not that hard but it's a lot of itchy, dirty work. Once you have finished grinding out the old rotten wood and pulling the engine to do it, building it back is actually some fun.

Lag screws are commonly used for engine mounts but aren't very good. A metal saddle motor mount that is thru-bolted is a much better mount.

sparkyb620
08-15-2011, 06:18 PM
hello i just got a 1973 imp aztec from my father i repainted it put swim deck on also put all new interior in it now im wanting to put thru hull exhaust on it the boat has a ford 302 188 hp motor in it ive seen people on here have done thru hull to these boats i just want to know how they did it without spending a ton of money can you just get a 90 degree elbow and go staight out the transom or should i get riser spacers and then a 90 degree elbow and go out of the back i would like some info if anyone can help thanks

vinnieallin
08-28-2011, 10:30 AM
hello new astec owner here shes a 79 kinda rough but i hope to make her shine again.

Boat69
08-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Good luck:) We are doing the same thing with our 69' Vacationer. It's a task, but in the end it's well worth the effort. Classic boats are way cooler!

moeller87
09-14-2011, 09:07 PM
well my outdrive needs $1600 to rebuild, and i have an issue with the throttle ,seems its been jimmied with a toggle switch, which i hear i common on these older boats, just got about 10 mins of use this summer til it took a dive, wondering if anyone else has this makeshift toggle switch deal going on

IMP-ish
09-18-2011, 05:02 PM
What does the toggle switch do? If it's a bad neutral safety switch in the shift/throttle you could bypass it entirely or pick up a used shift throttle of your liking on ebay.

Also what outdrive do you have and what all needs rebuilding? Sometimes it's cheaper to pickup a used upper or lower in good condition or an SEI knockoff than paying to rebuild.

Fixin II
09-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi all,

I spent the past couple of years mechanically renovating a 1984 IMP X190 Cuddy. What a solid boat! The Admiral wanted a bigger cabin, so I've just bought an older Chris Craft. I can't believe I'm back at renovations again. I hate the idea of selling the X190.

I can't say enough good things about how these boats were built. I've had 30 ft Sea Ray's following in my wake through some choppy Lake Michigan water and they had a hard time keeping up. If you can find one of these boats, they are well worth the time to maintain a classic.

I've started some work on the Chris Craft. The hull and engines seem solid. Maybe I can sneak by with just some cosmetic work this time.

edjunior
09-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Hey Fixin II. That's the same boat I have. Haven't had much time to get her out, and now my outdrive needs a little work (need to redo the tilt stuff). Sure do miss it though.

vinnieallin
10-12-2011, 08:30 PM
been working on my so called 79 aztec witch its not its more like a 69 or 68. i took her out for the first time sunday she runs great and is the most stable 21 footer ive ever been on tight lines all

Fastvmax1
10-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Hello members,

I am the proud new owner of a 1983 x-223. I love the hull design but I can't seem to find much info at all(I have searched this forum extensively). I do not have a capacity plate. I would appreciate any information at all regarding this model. It is in very good shape and runs well, I would like to bring it back as close to factory as possible over the winter.

Thanks in advance.
Rick

FishBreath
10-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Hey all

Just found this place, I've got the 23 Inca Open Cuddy from 1977. Wondering if anybody has an idea of original fuel tank capacity? Tank is mid deck approximately mid ship behind the seats on this model. Thanks!

moeller87
11-25-2011, 03:52 PM
the toggle switch puts the motor in forward and reverse, cause the diods in the shift handle itself went bad, the outdrive is a 235 omc stringer, i,ve looked and i may as well rebuild it for the price people want for those things

moeller87
12-01-2011, 03:23 PM
well while i'm waiting for my outdrive to get put together i picked up this little cherokee for
$300 , i'm stoked, it needs the driver seat platform rebuilt, and has a little tear in the floor, but thats an easy winter project

NNVMIKE
12-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Hey all

Just found this place, I've got the 23 Inca Open Cuddy from 1977. Wondering if anybody has an idea of original fuel tank capacity? Tank is mid deck approximately mid ship behind the seats on this model. Thanks!

My Inca is a 74, but sounds the same regarding layout (most were).
Fuel cap is 80 gallons.
Get out your wallet.

Mike:rolleyes:

biggercb
03-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Just picked this up from my old neighbor. Less than 200hrs on the boat. Anyone have any performance data on this thing? Will I see 45mph? Has a 200hp Buick V8 with and OMC stringer.

Hasn't ran since 1995, so I will be reviving the old girl.

edjunior
03-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Nice. Not for sure you'll see 45mph, but it is possible. Mine tops out at about 43mph. I have the 5.0L 225hp Chevy. I gotta get it out this year.

Starvin48
05-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Hey y'all. I have been lurking awhile on this forum but just wanted to say thanks to those who get together to talk about IMPs. I picked one up in November of 2010 for a song and a dance and a washer and dryer (long story). It's a 1986 27' Liberty with twin 4.3s. Does anyone else have that one or close?

edjunior
05-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Welcome Starvin. Do you have any pics of your boat?

I just got my impellar and water pump replaced. I was hoping to get her out this weekend, but family issues are probably going to get in the way. It's been too long...I gotta get her out!

Starvin48
05-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the welcome! I do have pics but not on this computer. I'll get 'em up soon. I JUST got her in the water at 8:30pm on Sunday. Hooray!

one2dmax
06-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Hello Guys and Gals,

My name is Sean and this is my first boat. My day job is working for the aerospace industry and I have a small business building motorcycles (www.MorleysMuscle.com and also the same named Facebook page). I was raised with the old musclecars and still have many of them to this day. We have an older Morleys Musclecar site that pics some of them. I do sell car and bike parts for about any brand.

This is going to be long lol and details where I am at so far! The questions are at the end of the post. I have a total of 6 weeks (not that many left) to resurrect the boat before our family vacation.

Pics of the boat from a few years ago (not stored outside anymore though):
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150620401518679.406483.282702488678&type=3

I bought this boat a few years back in unknown condition and didn't even see it before I committed to the purchase ($675). I figured the trailer was worth the cost of the boat or I could part it out. It's the stringer drive which I hear good and bad about but since I am ignorant about boats I have no reservations at the moment. It does have an 8 person rating which will work out great for us and with the bowrider arrangement it has a nice open layout.

Engine:
The original 350 engine was full of water and is seized up and will get an eventual rebuild. For now we are going to use a 327 I had laying around here that had been previously rebuilt. I don't think this block is nearly as strong as the original engine from the boat though. I know the heads from the boat have much larger valves so they would flow more air/fuel for sure!

I was a bit surprised that the original block is only a 2 bolt main block (didn't check to see if the crank was forged but would think it would be). The 327 is also a 2 bolt main, and for now I am not moving over the original engines windage tray (should not be a problem since this isn't a long term engine). I did move over the deeper oil pan and pickup from the oil pump. I tack welded the pickup in place since I have heard stories over the years of them falling off and destroying an otherwise good engine.

I had all the parts bead blasted while I am moving them over and found the intake was cracked as well as both log sections of the exhaust manifolds (the shorter risers are OK). I found out the intake was a generic small block truck intake and could have picked one up from my local craigslist for $20 if I had wanted. BUT, I ended up picking up a edelbrock "performer" intake for $50 including new intake gaskets! I had to weld one small crack up by the distributor hole since some retard thought they needed to hammer that area probably during a removal.

It's also missing the choke mount that would have come with it but that's also a simple part to replace along with the new choke rod to get it hooked back up to the original quadrajet carb (which is getting a rebuild).

The exhaust manifolds I found on ebay for $150 each though they don't have the extra ports for the drains like the originals did. Shouldn't be a problem as I can always blow air through them to get the fluid out when prepping for the winter. Seemed like a good price to me!

We are going to repaint everything the original silver and I even have a graphic artist friend going to help me reproduce the original decals that were on the valve covers. I am moving over the stamped Vin decals though.

It's of course getting all new belts and hoses along with plugs and wires. I am upgrading the points distributor with a Pertronix unit which should be more reliable and "safer". I am also using a "mini" starter which though designed for a car is cad plated to resist corrosion and also spark resistant (more like what a boat would require). We are going to clean up both the fuel pump and power-steering pump since I believe them to be OK. We did also get a new waterpump. The balancer looks fine and no bent pulleys we can spot. I do need a new fuel line and large filter housing (and line to the tank).

At this point the only thing I am concerned with is the engine mounts. I have read a few different ways some have tackled the issue with loose mounts. I am not super excited to redo the hull in any way, shape, or form! I think the best route for me is to either:
Install permanent anchor bolts in with epoxy, resin or simply something like liquid nails OR
Put the straps in with welded nuts to the current base and redrill new mount locations front and back (fore and aft) of the current locations.
I am thinking the anchor bolts will work though.

Chassis:
The overall shell of the boat is in good condition with minimal spiderwebs and even a decent gloss to it. The hours showed 13xx if I remember correctly. There is one bad spot on the bottom of the boat where the trailer is rubbing on it. We are getting the correct new tires for the trailer and also having the springs re-arched to get the correct ride height back. When we get the boat off the trailer we'll redo the carpeted supports and get that back in good shape again too.

The steering was locked up tight and I originally thought that the engine had to be in the down position to turn. We finally got the tilt jumped over (no switch to be currently found) and it went down just fine (not up though). I unhooked the steering link from the power steering unit to see what was/wasn't frozen up. I was almost ready to give up on the steering cable when it popped free and steered smoothly. I reconnected the linkage and the power steering unit also turned very smoothly and even the fluid that was still in it came out clean and the nice red color.

The overall electrical looks solid but I need to go over everything and get it all working appropriately. I found out where the main fuses were by looking at the original owners manual which I luckily have. Got to check them, add the tilt motor switch and get it all working. I also need a replacement chrome wire cover for the center of the forward/reverse gear handle.

The bilge pump was not working and with a little effort I got it broken free and working perfectly. The ventilation pump however is not going to fix I don't believe. I am sure it's an inexpensive part (relatively) since it's a simple 12v motor.

The light mast is mostly intact except the base which is got some homemade crap on it. I'll fix, fab, or replace it as needed.

The swim deck is in great shape with the drop down ladder too. We'll replace the teak inserts though they are usable as is for now.

The interior seats and panels were in complete **** shape. We removed the entire interior less floor and side carpet. All the seat bases were rebuilt or repaired and it's getting all new coverings in the original colors (gray, white, and maroon). My 14 year old daughter sprayed all the new and old wood parts this last weekend with Thompson's so it can be ready for the covers.

We are going to try and refinish the teak wood trim and doors which I think will look nice when done. The carpet actually cleaned up quite nicely with a power washer and shampoo! Was pretty surprised actually!

When we put the dog house (engine covers) back together I will even sound and heat insulate it. Should make it very nice back there. I have yet to look at the canopy cover but that will be easy to make if needed.

I believe the fuel tank is in good enough condition and think it's already been drained (by another friend that looked at it).

Outdrive:
Here's where I REALLY have no experience but it was put together by "man" and I have no doubt that they were no more intelligent then I am.

After some reading I found out that my tilt motor problem might be a simple fix. So, I took off the cover and found a nice rusty looking crap in there (but not bad as I might make it out to be). I sprayed out the area in there and was messing around with it some more and getting no results. So, I ended up taking the plastic plug out of the backside and removing the long set screw from the access hole. Still nothing going on at that time so I get a "bright idea" to maybe remove the gear on the inside of the housing. I was sitting there on my stool under the boat farting around with it with my 2 flat screwdrivers (I didn't want to go over to the shop to get the right snap ring tool). Anyway, next thing I know the outdrive slams to the ground right next to me (and chips off a 1/4" off the end of it).

So, I sit there thinking how much of a dumbshit move that was and called my daughter out again. Now that the unit was loose from the clutch I had her run the motor in up and down directions to free it up some more. I had read that some used grease to fill the housing in place of the 30 weight motor oil that is called for on the manual. I tried to pack grease in there like you would a bearing but wasn't having too much luck. So, I grabbed a double handfull and simply cupped it over the housing and pressured it in while she ran the drive motor back and forth. Once that was done I packed even more in the cover and worked the cover in place. While I am working this cover back and forth into place it was like silly putty with the grease squirting out the fill hole lol! Got the cover (and rest of the parts) back in place and tried the motor again. Well, the daughter crossed the wrong solenoid and I watched the lower unit actually pick up the whole boat and trailer! Whoops! OK, back in the correct up direction and up it went nice and smooth! Down is still once fast some bitch though!

Next I proceeded to the outdrive unit itself. I again read up a bit and figured out there are 3 different "sections" to the lower outdrive unit. I drained the lower most part first which started out with a good portion of clean water followed by somewhat actual clean out. Must have been sitting a long time for it to separate that well. I didn't see any rusty stuff at all so hopefully no damage done there.

I took a quart of my BG synthetic gear fluid and "flushed" the case housing using my new to me adapter tool picked up from our local Cabella's. Once it was flowing nice and clean fluid I capped off the drain and then pumped more fluid into the case (stopping to turn the propeller every now and then). I removed the hose and let the excess drain out and put that plug in.

On to the mid gear case. This case was clean fluid to start then some nasty black stuff. Some quick air pressure on the fill plug got it really flowing. After doing the flush and fill on it I put it back together too! ***Note, I actually did the final fills by first filling from the bottom hole and pushing up and out, plugging that off and then from the top hole by overfilling and letting the excess drain.***

The last section was the main gear and engine support section (not sure the specific name). Drained the nasty black fluid from it and refilled without any drama too. I went through 4 quarts of that synthetic fluid (thankfully I have a BG engineer friend that helps get me some sample stuff).

Everything seems to turn reasonably decent by hand (even in gear). The "ball drive" fingers look pretty worn and hopefully will make the first week on the water (supposed to be July 4th weekend). Then I can replace them (and the dang fluid again lol). A seller has them on ebay though I ready a post from years ago saying something about it. Worst case I will simply make new ones (I have a very talented machinist at my disposal).

One question I did have:
Where would water go that would enter the area where the splined drive from the output shaft? I know the water should normally never get that high but I can see obvious water intrusion from where it sat for a long time. I suspect it simply drains out somewhere but not sure?

Does anyone have any pictures of the engine bay that shows the stickers from their original 5.7L engine from that era? I have some pictures but not sure I have as many as I would like. I also need the warning label from the powersteering pump that shows the "Metric" threads warning.

I know this forum isn't super active but it's about all that is left for IMP owners like myself!

Thanks,
Sean

edjunior
06-06-2012, 01:06 PM
First, welcome. Unfortunately, I can't see what you have (blocked Facebook from here), so I can't even see what you have. So I'll have to wait until I can get home to see. It almost sounds like a 800 stringer, but could be prior to the stringer as well. Anyway, we'll see who else comes on to help.

Elkhunter173
06-06-2012, 04:45 PM
I inherited a 1970 IMP boat. My cousin whom died 2 years ago left me with this boat. I have a Crestliner and dont need another. This boat was my cousins life and it shows. I dont have picture of it yet but will post them.
The boat has a 350 ci that he rebuilt which only has 72 hours on it. He put over $6000 in the motor alone and I have reciepts for about another $6000-$8000 in other fancy stuff he put in it. ie electric anchor, trolling motor, trailer winch, fish finder, CD stereo system, Scotty electric down riggers and much more.
Too make this story short. I took it out to the lake and ran it and boy did it run good for about 30 min then I heard a grinding noise and it went into nuetral. Come to find out the upper gear housing was empty and I ruined the gears.
I do not have the time or money to put into another boat. I am going to sell it as is for $6000 within the next month or I am going to strip the motor and equipment off of it and haul it to the scrap yard. Just the equipment on it will bring over $6000. If anyone is interested in saving this 1970 IMP Iola 21' boat you can email me at elkhunters173@bresnan.net and I can send pics and video.

Don in Texas
06-12-2012, 01:02 AM
Hello, I aquired a 1987 IMP X245 Freedom. I was hoping someone has a similar model with pics of interior. Mine is totally gutted and was hoping to get a basic floor plan. I will build it from scratch, I have a idea of what it might be, but it would be nice to stay in the realm of original if possible. With some upgrades of course.

edjunior
06-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Welcome Don. Did you search all the pages of this thread? There's not many that new on here. Most of them are the older IMP's. I've also found searching E-bay and Craig's List can turn up some IMPs. For Craig's List, search in the Midwest, especially Kansas, Arkansas, Missouri areas. They were built out of Iola and sold big on Lake of the Ozarks. There tend to be a lot for sale there that could provide the pictures you need.

Where in Texas are you?

Don in Texas
06-12-2012, 09:48 AM
I live in Cedar Park, TX.

one2dmax
07-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Got more done on the boat and did a water test today with good results. Got to adjust the overstroke switch and some other misc to finish it up. BUT,

Need to see if anyone with the fold out seats can get me a picture of the assembly of the seat bases? Need to see how the small brackets and misc attach under there. I think I have the actual 4 part seat assembly correct but not sure about the other parts on the actual base.

Sean

crystalblue
08-23-2012, 03:14 PM
Yes, I would love to see a 1969 IMP INca cruiser manual/brochure/catalog, anything specific to that boat for a friend's 60th birthday that is restoring his fathers...let me know.. thanks

pdave1s
02-03-2013, 02:44 AM
Can anybody help me identify the year, and model of this IMP inca, all I have is the manufacturers plate serial number, KH231296. I know it is late 60's early 70'a inca attached is a photo of the boat itself

View Full Version : IMP Boats Information