Thwart placement guidance

Discussion in 'Stability' started by Sabaka417, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Sabaka417

Sabaka417 New Member

This may not be your cup of tea so to speak but I would be appreciative for any thoughts you might share with me. The folks at Old Town were very friendly and next to useless.
    I have an Old Town Guide 160 made in 1999. I wish to install a middle seat for solo paddling. The current location of the thwart is dead center amidships. I was planning to use the current thwart location holes for the forward bolt holes for mounting the center seat and then based upon correct spacing, drill two new holes in the gunnel, port and stbd for securing the aft side of the new seat. This would place paddler loading just aft of amidships. I have read numerous places to not permanently remove the thwart from a canoe. So, I would assume I need to relocate the thwart. If I follow the above plan of action, do place the new thwart forward or aft of the new middle seat. I would think just aft of the new center seat location but I don’t know how much benefit it would be located approximately 12” aft of the centerline. Placing the thwart forward of the center seat location and it could become problematic for seating / storage. I would greatly appreciate the guidance from you folks. I do not speak canoe and don’t have y’alls boat building design / experience.
    V/R,
    Dennis

2. SaltOntheBrain

SaltOntheBrain Senior Member

Your seat will be a thwart. Placement will determine if it balances for carrying, but it will be a new strength member instead of the old one.

3. Sabaka417

Sabaka417 New Member

SaltOnthe Brain - thank you for your time and reply. R/, Dennis

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.