Ship's speed effect on stability

Discussion in 'Stability' started by Velousidad, May 22, 2012.

1. Velousidad

Velousidad New Member

Hello everybody,

I have a question. How, speed of a ship effect on stability. In actualy, on a cruise ship. So for a cruise ship, how speed of the ship effect on stability? Thanks for your answer ^^

2. ldigas

ldigas Senior Member

In general (very general terms) the greater the speed the greater the accelerations. Less comfortable ride.

But anything apart from that, and you'll have to be more specific.

3. yipster

yipster designer

you got me confused ldigas, first thought was my own ex now 27 express cruiser
    that could dance quite a bit at sea but trotling up to plane boot became way more straightlined
    most cruizeships use water stabilisers at speed that dont work floating around
    yet for real bad weather all boats have to slow down, even change course, hmm..

4. ldigas

ldigas Senior Member

Yes, I agree, not one of my best moments :)

But to answer it properly, it would really need to be asked more precise. What exactly does he mean
    by "stability"? I presumed seakeeping properties, movements and accelerations in main directions,
    vertical, rolling and pitching being the most uncomfortable ones.

He is interested in cruise ships (I assume he means big cruise ships, not the 20m ones that carry tourists
    around the islands on daytours), and they're rather stable by themselves. Most of the time they go
    at economic speed, and increasing the speed in their cases will in most cases increase the motions.
    The fact that they have a variety of means of controlling and damping those motions makes them rather comfortable
    ships.

In smaller vessels, things differ a lot. They're rarely optimized for one speed, more for a range of speeds,
    and going below that range puts them at the mercy of the sea, and above that range (if they can, in terms
    of power) usually gives them larger motions.
    Sailboats are usually better fitted since the sail "stabilizes" them a bit, so to say.

I'm not sure what you mean by "straightlined" - do you mean it holds the course better at larger speed?

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Another possibility is stability as in the amount a vessel will heel when subject to a heeling moment.

6. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Generally speaking speed increases stability... cruise ships, dinghies...

7. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

True for sailboats and boats with a keel, where aerodynamic forces on sails and/or hydrodynamic forces on the keel dampen rolling motions.
    However, not always true for powerboats, because some of them see their waterplane beam decreased when running close to hull speed. It will strongly depend on the boat's hull geometry, of course.
    See, for example, this paper for more info: http://www.marine.osakafu-u.ac.jp/~lab07/kata-laboHP/katayama_PP/STWS96.pdf

8. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

That's same with hard chines as with keels in this regard. True what you said about planing boats. Chears Teddy

9. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Yep,...which stability? Static transverse stability, small angle transverse stability, large angle transverse stability, ultimate transverse stability, dynamic stability, coursekeeping stability, longitudinal stability, with active control, passive speed effects, etc.; ....there are lots of them

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.