DEEP vee hull form

Discussion in 'Stability' started by abdo, Dec 1, 2011.

1. abdo

abdo Junior Member

I designed many deep vee hull form with differents deadrise angle 21 -23 -25 -27 -29 to check the seakeeping .is there any one can say to me wich angle is best in head sea ?

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

abdo, I would suggest that you actually ride in a few boats to determine some of the characteristics that are required and the effects on altering deadrise.

3. abdo

abdo Junior Member

i am using seakeeper softwar to determine RAOs . so what is the best deadrise angle for destroyer and frigate in head sea 180

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

:confused: Now what's that, you are designing a destroyer with a planing hull?

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

dont think theres enough horse power on the planet to make a destroyer plane !!:eek:

6. cyclops2

cyclops2 Senior Member

I can tell you something.

I spent 3 years of a 4 year term in the USN. Aboard DD, Cruiser & traveling with NATO fleet training exercises.

The oceans will ALWAYS have a NASTY size & spacing of waves for ANY SIZED ship. Right up to a full sized WW II aircraft carrier.

Laymans terms for waves. Ground swells ??

We were cruising off of Florida during training in 1959 with a carrier group. Beautifull, almost flat, sea conditions for our WW II DD. Later in the day I came on deck to see other ships.

SUPRISE !!
    There is the carrier slowly slowly lowering her bow downward. Going down. The flightdeck slides under the base of a swell wave. CRAP, it is still going down. It now has 25% to 1/3 of the flightdeck under water. the rudder & props are completly out of the water for a good 15 seconds as the bow slowly comes up with tons of water spilling off like a waterfall. Then the bow came out of the water completly. However the stern never went under like the bow did.

North Atlantic storms stretched the skins of the DDs to the splitting point. At the height of the storm The task force was told, " Save yourself. Break formation. ". That statement was followed by " Tie yourself into your bunks & put anything loose in lockers or on the floor. " The storm lasted for 10 days.

That should be 1 of the main reasons for steel ships. We never met a 90' Rouge Wave. If we did we would have sunk like a stone with so many large doors & hatches open in nice weather. Dumb luck kept me alive in 1957 to 1961. & steel ships.

7. cyclops2

cyclops2 Senior Member

Based on what I saw in some North Atlantic storms.

You MUST get a secret or top secret clearence to review the number & types of ships sunk over the years. Civilian & military. It is staggaring. The ALMOST complete destruction of a USN task force in a Pacific typhoon, tells designers a lot about designing ships, that MUST HOPEFULLY survive at sea.

You will not be too happy when they give you a " budget " to survive the worst the sea can serve up.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It's delightful to see the level of expertise that China navy is employing in it's weapon systems advancement and development programs. Maybe the Colombian drug lords can help with their submariner program.

Folks please be mindful of what you offer, as you don't know what the information will be used for.

9. cyclops2

cyclops2 Senior Member

One thing that is not very secret is our countries activities. The day you & I can tell another country something their working spies do not know is a snowball in Hell surviving the heat.

Do you remember the USN spies ? Transferring our highest level of secrets for years.

I know if they do as I say, they will WANT A REFUND. :)

Rich

10. bbsboat

bbsboat Junior Member

Its depend, if you use the boat on the river .less degree is better,because more efficient during the planing statu

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Look, if he has to ask, he's not remotely qualified to make decisions on this level, let alone preform the research.

12. cyclops2

cyclops2 Senior Member

Agreed PAR.

13. DavidJ

DavidJ Senior Member

First of all I don't think the Chinese navy needs to go on internet forums to figure out a deadrise angle. Second I don't think telling them the ideal deadrise angle would doom the free world and third, as with everything in boat and ship design, I don't think there is any such thing as an ideal deadrise angle.

I'd assume the OP is a student looking for research. Finding technical papers can be very difficult if you don't know the right search terms. If someone knows a good paper (non-classified) that discusses hull forms of fast ships in a head sea they can list it here.

14. abdo

abdo Junior Member

thank you davidj yes i am studend of ship design preparing my paper about deep vee hull form i need just somme good document and papers

15. abdo

abdo Junior Member

thank you DavidJ ... i am student of ship building preparing my thesis about deep vee hull form and the influence of deadrise angle and L/B in seakeeping in head sea i am asking for good documents

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.