Please Help. Hydro.

Discussion in 'Stability' started by ORPHEN, Oct 27, 2011.

1. ORPHEN

ORPHEN Junior Member

What is the difference or how do we compute hydrostatics data for a Catamaran. I can compute for the displacement but the rest, no idea.Thanks:)

2. APP

APP Junior Member

I am also looking ways to work this out in Freeship and Archimedes software to get stability cross curves, etc. but it does not seem to work well for catamarans. Better use ready and tested spreadsheets. Someone here has to give us some kind of excel spreadsheets to get a rough estimation of Catanaran stability first.

Otherwise expensive software is needed (e.g. Hydromax).
    Regards
    APP

3. ORPHEN

ORPHEN Junior Member

Yes indeed, in some ways, as you said "expensive software" that could bring us back to manual computations. I really don't have any idea how the logic goes when it comes to a catamaran specially to the linear stability.

If only someone can give us formulas and may help us on how will it work for a catamaran using some basic and relative idea used to compute a mono-hull, from it perhaps I could start making an excel spreadsheets. Its better to know how it is being computed rather that using a software that will miss up the whole process of know how, right?c:

4. DavidJ

DavidJ Senior Member

Hydrostatics for a catamaran are for the most part calculated in the same way as they are for monohull. What specifically are you having trouble with?

5. ORPHEN

ORPHEN Junior Member

uhmm.. i think i just have an idea on how will i compute the values. Since it is a catamaran, inertia and some other factors used to compute for the values of KM and MCTC would usually go along dependently to the dividend of two of its displacement/draft. That the breath we are going to use is the port/stbrd hull only. Is it?c:

But I would still want to know some other perspective and ideas on how will I compute for the values of KM, MCTC, Inertia, LCB, LCF, etc...
    Thanks in advance,:)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.