Stability after tank reduction

Discussion in 'Stability' started by jimmymc90, May 7, 2011.

1. jimmymc90

jimmymc90 Junior Member

I am looking for help after reducing the capacity of 6 fuel tanks from 140m3 to 90m3. This area where the fuel was previously is now a void space which provides double hull protection for the ship. There has also been 50 tonnes of added steel due to the void space. This is the total added steel for all 6 tanks

What I need help with is finding the stability values for the new design. I have the ships hydrostatic data for the origional ship however i am not allowed to use this information and have to calculate the stability data myself. I have currently calculated the ships new lightweight and displacement and its corrisponding draught ( that i was allowed to take for the hydrostatic data)

I should also point out that I am only required to calculate the ships stability in its lightweight condition.

I have attached my pictures of my 3d models to help you understand better. These are only for 2 tanks. All 6 tanks are the same dimensions and the same distance from the centreline of the ship.

How would you go about calculating the ships stabilty after this change in design?

Also any help on how to do a GZ curve would be helpful

Thanks,
    James

Attached Files:

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Then it is a simple matter of assuming the wall sided formula, and doing the basic BM = I/V calculation.

3. jimmymc90

jimmymc90 Junior Member

Thanks Ad Hoc

Is there away to calculate what the draft would be on a ship Fwd and Aft if I have the Draft at C.F and I also have the weight distrubution curve?

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

The "old fashioned" way. The way i was taught before computers came along :eek:

Measure, off a piece of paper either supplied (of the hull shape) or you make yourself by simple sketch, and Simpsonise the values you lift off.

The rest is "simple" naval arachitecture. Any book will show you how to obtain drafts from data and LCF. Being a student I assume you have access to these?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.