Displacement help

Discussion in 'Stability' started by osprey23, May 6, 2011.

1. osprey23

osprey23 Junior Member

Hi I'm hoping someone can help me, if I have the displacement of a boat as a weight, I there a way of converting it to volumetric displacement?
    Thanks in advance

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Yes, it is called Archimedes' Principle, has been known for some 2200 years and is an essential part of any basic high-school physics course.

Weight = mass * gravity_acceleration
    Mass = water_density * Volume

You do the rest.

1 person likes this.
  3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That will give you different volumes for salt or fresh water and different temperatures

1 person likes this.

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Fresh water weighs around 62.5# a cubic foot, salt water around 64# a cubic foot. Divide the displacement weight by the type of water you're in to find the volumetric displacement. If your boat displaces 10,000 pounds, in fresh water that will be about 160 cubic feet of volume, in salt water, about 156.25 cubic feet of volume.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.