mental_boy
Junior Member
- Joined
- Jun 2, 2010
- Posts
- 98
- Reaction score
- 0
- Location
- Oakland, CA
So I've decided I want to build an electric catamaran. Torqeedo (the electric outboard manufacturer) modified a Hobie catamaran for a trip to catalina island and I like the concept very much:
However, I can't afford a torqeedo outboard, or a hobie catamaran, or almost any boat for that matter. In comes "Poorqeedo," or the poor man's torqeedo catamaran. I don't really want to copy the torqeedo catamaran, it's just the configuration that I like.
I settled upon the idea while mulling over the qualities I desire in a boat:
1. Car toppable (I have an truck with a very strong rack)
2. Relatively easy to set up and launch
3. Carries up to 4 people (although not necessarily with optimal performance)
4. Cheap to operate
5. Fast and cheap to build.
To be car toppable the boat would probably need to be broken up into 4 components: 2 hulls, superstructure/seating, and batteries. To launch, the hulls would individually be brought to the dock, the superstructure attached, and the batteries added last.
For propulsion I have 2 APC 16x16 props and 2 electrocraft 100v, 5.6A continuous motors (38v/1000rpm). I didn't choose these for this application, I just happen to have them laying around. My inclination is to use the electrocraft motors at 48v with cheapo ebay motor controllers and 4 walmart or costco traction batteries. If the gearing is right the motors could yield ~250 watts each in that configuration. Obviously the gear reduction will depend on hull shape, total weight of the craft, and target cruising speed (which are all totally unknown to me at the moment.) I'm hoping to skip building rudders since I can use the 2 motors to steer.
I'm not sure how I should handle power delivery to the prop. I like Rick Willoughby's spring steel method due to it's simplicity:
But that would make it difficult to attach the superstructure with the hulls upright on a dock. It also makes it impossible to inspect the prop while underway. I imagine I want something like that but hanging from the super structure. Definitely need ideas here.
For hulls I have only a vague idea of what I want. Something like an old hobie 18 but with a rectangular cross section. Or like a pair of Rick Willoughby's V14 boats, but with more load capacity:
http://www.rickwill.bigpondhosting.com/V14.htm
I have 2 sheets of 1/4 inch meranti, 1 sheet of 3/8 meranti, a gallon of epoxy and a 28' by 5' piece of fiberglass cloth which I'll try to incorporate into the design as efficiently as possible.
I'm thinking the cross braces (aka super structure) will be large plywood box beams that double as seating. They could also be made of triangulated stainless tubing since I am proficient in metal fabrication and welding.
Anyway, I really need some input on how the hulls should be shaped (i.e. length/beam etc) the overall beam of the boat, the gearing, what kind of speeds I could expect, etc. I'll post more information and drawings after I get some more sleep =)
However, I can't afford a torqeedo outboard, or a hobie catamaran, or almost any boat for that matter. In comes "Poorqeedo," or the poor man's torqeedo catamaran. I don't really want to copy the torqeedo catamaran, it's just the configuration that I like.
I settled upon the idea while mulling over the qualities I desire in a boat:
1. Car toppable (I have an truck with a very strong rack)
2. Relatively easy to set up and launch
3. Carries up to 4 people (although not necessarily with optimal performance)
4. Cheap to operate
5. Fast and cheap to build.
To be car toppable the boat would probably need to be broken up into 4 components: 2 hulls, superstructure/seating, and batteries. To launch, the hulls would individually be brought to the dock, the superstructure attached, and the batteries added last.
For propulsion I have 2 APC 16x16 props and 2 electrocraft 100v, 5.6A continuous motors (38v/1000rpm). I didn't choose these for this application, I just happen to have them laying around. My inclination is to use the electrocraft motors at 48v with cheapo ebay motor controllers and 4 walmart or costco traction batteries. If the gearing is right the motors could yield ~250 watts each in that configuration. Obviously the gear reduction will depend on hull shape, total weight of the craft, and target cruising speed (which are all totally unknown to me at the moment.) I'm hoping to skip building rudders since I can use the 2 motors to steer.
I'm not sure how I should handle power delivery to the prop. I like Rick Willoughby's spring steel method due to it's simplicity:
But that would make it difficult to attach the superstructure with the hulls upright on a dock. It also makes it impossible to inspect the prop while underway. I imagine I want something like that but hanging from the super structure. Definitely need ideas here.
For hulls I have only a vague idea of what I want. Something like an old hobie 18 but with a rectangular cross section. Or like a pair of Rick Willoughby's V14 boats, but with more load capacity:
http://www.rickwill.bigpondhosting.com/V14.htm
I have 2 sheets of 1/4 inch meranti, 1 sheet of 3/8 meranti, a gallon of epoxy and a 28' by 5' piece of fiberglass cloth which I'll try to incorporate into the design as efficiently as possible.
I'm thinking the cross braces (aka super structure) will be large plywood box beams that double as seating. They could also be made of triangulated stainless tubing since I am proficient in metal fabrication and welding.
Anyway, I really need some input on how the hulls should be shaped (i.e. length/beam etc) the overall beam of the boat, the gearing, what kind of speeds I could expect, etc. I'll post more information and drawings after I get some more sleep =)