View Full Version : Conversion to jet drive

gm1
01-25-2002, 01:10 PM
Anyone have any information about converting a standard inboard/outboard hull ( 20' Bertram, for example) to Hamilton or other brand jet drive. I'm looking for shallow draft without the tilt problems of typical outdrives.

Is this easily done? Expensive? Possible for older fiberglass boats?

01-25-2002, 08:02 PM
It is certainly not impossible, but I would not categorize it as easy or inexpensive either. I think the transom should be ok (jet drive should cover the existing cutout) but cutting the existing keel and reworking the bottom for the intake is still no small project. Would you be doing the fiberglass work yourself?

If I were you, I would email Hamilton, Berkeley and a few other jet drive manufacturers directly and ask about similar refit projects. Talking to others who have done the same project might save you from a few gotcha's down the line.

Jeff
01-25-2002, 08:10 PM
I wonder if something like this would be a partial solution:
http://www.dbdmarine.com/

No US dealer though.

Stephen Ditmore
01-27-2002, 10:44 PM
Berkeley is no more. The company that now builds those drives is http://www.legendjet.com/

A company called UltraJet also seems to be making a name for itsself, and North American Marine Jet is still around, based in Arkansas, used to be Jacuzzi.

gm1
02-06-2002, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the replies. For anyone else looking for more info on jet drives, Ultajet has a more informative website than the others: see

http://www.ultradynamics.com/sections/ultrajet/ultrajet.asp?section=1-b

Of course direct contact with the company works best.

Jeff
02-07-2002, 05:23 AM
gm,

I'm glad you found a good source for the information you were looking for - sorry I wasn't able to offer better leads.

I hope you let us know how it goes as your project progresses.

Bendy
06-06-2004, 06:01 AM
i have a pp jet drive on my boat and i have been told they are now under a different name. Any ideas what that name could be? .
thanks

Hannu Rantala
06-08-2004, 01:08 AM
I think pp-jet is nowadays Rolls-Royce in Finland. There is also other manufacturer in Finland namely Alamarin-Jet.

Chinookfever
06-08-2004, 01:53 PM
One other option - Check out jetpac.us They make an add on diesel jet that hangs off of the stern of the boat. I looked at this one based on low fuel consumption and all stainless pump. Retails for around $20k will all electronics and controls. I decided against it since I need to trailer over some 4WD roads and the extra 4 ft hanging off of the trailer wouldn't work.

Hannu Rantala
06-09-2004, 02:42 AM
I have experiences in conversing sterndrive into jetdrive. It definitely is possible. But the amount of work depends on jet installation type.

Actually I am doing such work at the moment. It is 26 feet double sterndrive boat. I have removed sterndrives and engines and cut a hole for installation template which is to be laminated in the hull. a week or two work. ask if you are interested.

jim mc
07-04-2004, 05:29 AM
I have bought a hull with a Noral unit fitted; does anyone know anything about these and what sort of engine/gearing/clutches are typically used? :)

Cheers,

Jim

PKilbride
07-05-2004, 12:57 PM
Anyone have any information about converting a standard inboard/outboard hull ( 20' Bertram, for example) to Hamilton or other brand jet drive. I'm looking for shallow draft without the tilt problems of typical outdrives.

Is this easily done? Expensive? Possible for older fiberglass boats?

You may consider this as an alternative:

http://www.arneson-industries.com/bravo_to_arneson_conversion.htm

Black Swan
07-09-2004, 11:19 AM
I'm also in the planning stages of conversion - this one is from twin diesel / vee drives to jet drives. Options are pretty diverse and pricing can reach exorbitant. Recommend you "google" search Doen, Hamilton, Legend, American Turbine, Ultrajet, and others. My own current "leaders" are AT and Hamilton. The research goes on.

Black Swan
07-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Just spoke to the AT people and they indicate that their jets are not suited to diesel engine use. Has to do with the "energy absorbtion / torque / RPM range. It seems that their jets are best at absorbing the torque from a given engine in the 4000 to 5000 RPM range. My TAMD40 diesels are rated at max. HP at 3600 RPM, and generally operating around 3200 to 3400 WOT. Our normal cruise around 2400. The search goes on.

Pazz
08-12-2004, 08:03 PM
PP jet drives have been taken over by Vosper Thorneycroft in Portsmouth, but are really expensive for spares (500 for an impeller) But i have found a guy up in the Midlands who is cheap,,,,
I have a pp on my Fonda 166 GTO (v8 rover engine)

Steve H
09-07-2004, 03:16 PM
I did a I/O to jet drive several years ago. Had to fit the jet drive through a hole in the bottom, add a stringer stystem to mount the engine to. It was a big project, but it was well worth it. This was on a small 16' boat. It would go from zero to 55mph in a very short amount of time. I think that jets work best on small light weight applications.

Steve H

BC Mike C
09-08-2004, 12:54 AM
I am new here, was doing a search for jet drives and found this site. I have an 18 foot aluminum Crestliner with a 120 hp OMC stern drive. The motor is junk and the intermediate housing has some corrosion. I have a Nissan 2.5 litre diesel engine. The plan was to marry it to the OMC leg but I have my doubts about the durability of the leg so I have been thing about other options. An out board motor was one option, but I would prefer to run the diesel. A Volvo leg is another option and today I thought about jet drives. The hull will be fairly easy to cut a piece out of for the unit. Any words of wisdom and or advice would be appreciated. BC Mike C

Black Swan
09-08-2004, 01:09 AM
there's lots of options, none of them cheap. You will need to know the RPM range of the diesel and then match it up with the right jet with the right impeller. I'd suggest you google Marine Jet Drives. You'll get a lot of sites to look at.

Alec

pabble
11-13-2004, 01:13 AM
Hi,
I'm new to this forum..found it by searching the web for jet drives. I recently got an ex-US Navy 30' rigid inflatable with twin parker pp jets, powered by twin 300hp Iveco diesels. I've spoken with the people who operated it for the navy and it got good reviews. My reason for posting is to let you know that I also got lots of spare parts for the engines and the jets (no impellers though) - technical manuals; shafts; buckets; complete fiberglass housings and many component parts. They are located in Hawaii. If anyone has an interest in them please contact me directly at sunrider@lisco.com. thanks.
Bryan

B. Baeckmo
12-13-2004, 12:29 PM
The PP-jets were taken over by Vosper Thornycroft, GB. The types produced have been revised, but some are still available, try to reach Mr Brent Voce, VT Hydraulics.

The Finnish Alamarin should be "red marked", as they are below standard regarding thrust, due to restricted inlets (type no:s do not show inlet dia).

Good luck!

Rick Sandstrom
12-15-2004, 01:35 PM
We have a company that repairs impellers. We have just recieved a set of (what we think are PP Jet) impellers that are very badly damaged. We are able to repair these impellers but I need some specs. to turn the diameter to. They are approx. 11 1/4" in diameter. Any help would be appreciated. Rick

Bob Thibodeau
12-19-2004, 08:39 AM
There is a company in Florida called OpsJet which manufactures an outboard jet drive which suits your purpose, I believe it runs about 18,000 USD for a 200 horsepower diesel.
There is also a company in Gloucester Massachusetts called Gloucester Marine Propulsion which is making a next generation jet drive, I'm tolds its very slick and efficient. If I can believe what I'm told the 275 diesel will retail for about 17,000 usd. I saw an engineering report that indicated that the GMP unit is about 25% more efficient than competitive units....

kevin dillon
01-02-2005, 03:25 AM
Is it a lot of work and money? I can do all of the modifications to the hull myself, as I have extensive fibreglass experience. Not so for the mechanical part, though. Any information you can give would be appreciated.

Kevin

ed fitz
11-15-2005, 10:42 PM
ed fitz
I am considering buying a US Navy 30ft rigid inflatable with Parker PP jets and Iveco diesels. Can anybody tell me the size of the jets, 10", 11", 12",etc.? I need a location for parts. I believe PP jets were taken over by Vosper Thorny Craft, in GB, but have been unable to contact them. fitz0739@yahoo.com

stripper
12-31-2005, 07:15 AM
. I have what i think is a pp jet drive coupled to a 3.1 v6 ford,at the nozzle end of the drive,there should be cup or 'bucket' which can be moved up or down,to create neutral or reverse,but it is missing.does anyone know where i could get one? thanks.

SCC-FI
01-24-2006, 07:44 AM
i have a pp jet drive on my boat and i have been told they are now under a different name. Any ideas what that name could be? .
thanks

PP Jet are now owned by Vosper Thorneycroft in the UK

If you PM me I will send you contact details for the person that deals with PP Jet stuff

HURRICANE
01-24-2006, 12:24 PM
I Am In The Process Of Converting A 24 Ft Hurricane Hull To Center Console Jet 330 Hp Cummins With A 274 Hamilton Jet Expected Cruise Speed 36 Kts At 5200 Lbs Cost Of The Powertrain 40k You Do Have The Option Of Gas For About Half The Price. I Will Say The Hamilton Jet Through Atlantis Gear Topsfield Ma Have Been Great To Work With

upyourkilt
04-26-2006, 06:08 PM
hello anyone out there no were i can get parts for my pp jet drive ?? and has anyone put one on a v8 rover lump , i need to know the angle the jet drive should be instaled at , any help much appretiated che:confused: ers .

pabble
06-06-2006, 10:50 PM
I have a 30' Novamarine, ex-military, that has twin PP jets. I have a few parts and may be able to help find what you need, and would be glad to share the info I have. I don't check this forum often so please email direct to sunrider@lisco.com if I can help. also, if anyone has a twin to my boat I would like to hear from you to share info.
bryan

hello anyone out there no were i can get parts for my pp jet drive ?? and has anyone put one on a v8 rover lump , i need to know the angle the jet drive should be instaled at , any help much appretiated che:confused: ers .

Black Swan 01
01-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Well, here it is 2007 and my project is still in the planning stages, though we have put the subject boat "on the hard" to get the process moving forward. The last couple of years have been a little frustrating. I went to the trouble, work and expense of trying to get one last rebuild/overhaul/upgrade of the starboard veedrive, installed additional oil coolers, upsized and upgraded the pump, (closer tolerances), installed additional lubrication points, a two stage filtration system, pressure guages to confirm fluid flow, valving, and upgraded bearings. Bench tested the completed rebuild, read all bearing surface temperatures, re-adjusted all bearing clearances after a two hour run-in period, dye tested all gear lash and mesh with prussian blue gear paste, and did everyrthing I (and the brain trust) could think of to give this damn thing every possible advantage. Lasted aprox. 14 hours under moderate load. Blew up (internally) and left us limping back on one engine and the Port tranny.

Enough is enough.

Fortunately, the vintage of the boat makes it worthwhile going to a refit and re-thinking of the drive system, and the progress that has been made in water-jet technology makes the decision even easier.

Current fore-runner is the Doen Jet. The DJ100 is a transom mount 10 inch impeller high thrust jet that may just fit the bill.

The process has begun anew.

olivergriswold
02-08-2007, 02:34 PM
what boat are you jetting? we are contemplating a jet repower on a bertram 25 (originally twin inboard v-drives).

Black Swan
02-16-2007, 11:39 AM
The subject boat is a 30 ft. Reinell flybridge sedan cruiser. I have now been researching this project for well over 2 years and have come to the following conclusions:

1: yes, it is possible to do
2: most of the jets that are "affordable" (totally subjective) are not suitable, they are aimed at the "go faster" crowd
3: It would be far smarter to start this process from the keel up, that is to design the entire boat around the mission, powerplant, and propulsion system, rather than trying to "reverse engineer" the process.
4: I can do this particular "refit" for less than one fifth the cost of converting, by replacing both veedrives and simply living with all that stuff that hangs down underneath the boat.

I'm sure I'm not the first to reach this conclusion, but when the purchase price alone of specified jets (reverse engineered) came in at over $46K, (yikes!), there's something to be said for re-thinking the process.

Now I know. Next time, I'll start with a bare hull.

twisterme
02-25-2007, 12:22 AM
Hi Everybody... new here and find this thread fascinating. I am in the midst of a project to convert a 18' fiberglass hull, (formerly equipted with a OMC outdrive and 120hp 4cyl. motor), purchased for $200, to a jet drive used primarily for fishing. The motor is OK (I hope) and will marry it to a Hamilton 751 jet pump purchased for $250. Cut the bottom out and layered in stringers and plywood/epoxy to remove the deep vee and strengthen/flatten it somewhat to accomodate the jet. Will need to cobb in steering and throttle controls as well as fit out the interior of the hull, so far about 40hours and $200 invested. Expect to put her in the water early summer 2007.

Steve H
02-25-2007, 12:06 PM
lets seem some pics!

twisterme
02-25-2007, 03:29 PM
these are the only pics I have taken late last summer before she got painted and went into the barn right side up. The hole in the transom is where the outdrive was and has now been retrofitted to accept a 751 Hamilton Jet and the hole for the pump has been cut in the bottom of the hull. You can see from these pics that the deep vee is gone and the hull has been reworked from bow to stern to flatten it. There are also stringers installed to mount the motor. The hull where the jet goes in is about 1 1/16" thick (plywood and epoxy) the transom is 3/4" think where the pump goes through but is recessed into the old transom. I have added 2 10oz layers of fiberglass cloth to the keel and 2 layers of 6 oz fiberglass cloth to the hull. The transom will have gussets installed to support a swim platform where a Honda 7.5 HP will be mounted.

http://www.homewego.com/BoatImage/Boat_081806

http://www.homewego.com/BoatImage/Boat1_081806

CHARLESEJL
08-14-2007, 02:28 PM
PP jet drives have been taken over by Vosper Thorneycroft in Portsmouth, but are really expensive for spares (500 for an impeller) But i have found a guy up in the Midlands who is cheap,,,,
I have a pp on my Fonda 166 GTO (v8 rover engine)

Would it be posible for a contact number or Email address for the Guy in the Midlans. I may be needing a new Impeller for my Jet Drive.
Thanks
CHARLESEJL

bullet
08-18-2007, 06:38 AM
Ive been quoted 500 for a new PP Jet impeller or 300 for a reconditioned impellor. Any tips on where to get a replacement impeller cheaper would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Will.

Dean1974
08-08-2009, 03:54 AM
Hi All,

I have a Sims Super Vee with Ford 1600 X flow engine in it with a jet drive.
The boat has seen better days although I know the engine is in really good condition.
Is this a silly idea to put this set up into a 20' glass cabin fishing boat that I imported?
Im really stumped at the moment about the Transom Angle and height of exhaust outlet etc.
Any help would be appriciated before I butcher 2 boats!
:-)

Thanks
Dean

anthony goodson
08-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Hi All,

I have a Sims Super Vee with Ford 1600 X flow engine in it with a jet drive.
The boat has seen better days although I know the engine is in really good condition.
Is this a silly idea to put this set up into a 20' glass cabin fishing boat that I imported?
Im really stumped at the moment about the Transom Angle and height of exhaust outlet etc.
Any help would be appriciated before I butcher 2 boats!
:-)

Thanks
Dean
Hi
A 20 ft boat is almost certainly too heavy for a pp65 jet ,sell the jet and engine and buy an outboard it will save you a lot of work and heartache.The 65 only worked well in lightweight ski boats it won't pump enough water to power a larger boat efficiently

Dean1974
08-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Thanks Anthony,
I would really like to convert to an inboard, what engine/drive would you reccomend?

Thanks again,

Dean

anthony goodson
08-08-2009, 07:56 AM
Thanks Anthony,
I would really like to convert to an inboard, what engine/drive would you reccomend?

Thanks again,

Dean
Hi Dean
Without a lot more information it is impossible to say
Tony

jbm
10-06-2009, 10:25 PM
here are some jet pumps to look at scott water jet in new zealand
they have single and 2 stage pumps for 100 hp to over 1600 hp
for gas and diesel
we [ jet boats of montana ] are using 751 and 752 pumps for 143 hp turbo,2.4 175 hp vortec 2.2 ecotec n/a
and 2.2 super charged 252 hp ecotec
all in 15-16' hulls

View Full Version : Conversion to jet drive