Suggestions for a liveaboard?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by cdates, Feb 22, 2010.

1. cdates

cdates New Member

I think I have my wife convinced of the merits of moving aboard a large boat for a few years given the roiling housing market. Any suggestions on the choice of a liveaboard? I am partial to trawlers so I can actually afford to move the boat from time to time, though I am not opposed to sailboats. We are a large family 2 adults, 3 kids and a nanny.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Powerboats have more space for the legth. Living is crammed quarters is hard for most people. A large percentage end up in divorce. Have you ever spent time in a tent with them? That can be a test, say a month or so.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Houseboat may be more friendly than sailboat, since it lacks the dungeon effect.

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

dont listen to them
    I lived on the cape for years and lots of our friends were live aboards
    they were some of the closest nit families I new

I've looked into this issue and waffled back and forth
    mostly because of my financial condition but partly because although I like sail
    power affords more space and the greater comfort

ideally
    for me at least I think the old commuter boats hold the most appeal as live aboards

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

That is a beautiful boat to be sure.

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

that thing is selling for $860,000 by the way
    ouch
    way to rich for me

its 64 feet and frankly would cost the same to build as the 43' schooner I am also looking at
    gives me more room but is not a blue water boat
    it does however sneak upriver a lot better than a 6' draft sailor though

Ive considered mechanical stabilization fins to quiet the roll but I might just stick to coasting or traveling the river systems

also the Dashew's have a neet trick of putting a keel bulb on there power boats, that and the stabilization fins improves stability substantially

One thing that spurred the Lumber business is that I now basically get the best possible prices on material

basically motor cruisers are way cheaper and you get more boat for your money but there are draw backs

that hulls wood cost is about $20,000 topsides and all with another about $4000 in epoxy maybe 5

7. GDFL

GDFL Junior Member

For your size family, you might want to look towards the older Hatteras or similar motoryachts. You are going to need upwards of 4 staterooms. A 60ish foot Hatteras would probably work and you can likely find one in decent condition within a decent price range. Be wary of boats that have 4 staterooms, but are of a charter layout. They will be short on storage space needed for living aboard. If I was in your shoes, I'd be looking at the Hatteras yachtfish. I really like them because they have a bit of a cockpit for getting near/on the water. Many of those larger boats don't have a practical way to get to the water or even on the dock. Good luck.

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

excellent point
    the size of the deck house often impedes movement along the rail
    basically designers tend to not leave enough room on deck to walk comfortable from stem to stern
    also there needs to be adequate room in front of the wheelhouse door. which there often is not

the 64 shown above has those considerations in mind although the step to the raised deck is a bit narrow and some joker retrofitted a stack right in the middle of the walk way

9. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

I would look at houseboats,trawlers,older 40-50 foot catalinas and hunters...I'd just find them and just get out there and climb aboard them...no telling what might catch your fancy as long as there is room and sufficient practical amenities..lots of them out there...just make sure you get one surveyed before you lay down the cash or ask to see a survey from the owner who might have had one done recently for insurance value...

10. GDFL

GDFL Junior Member

11. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

the most rounded young adults I ever met were from cruising sailing yachts on long time voyages, wonderful they grow up , well different , appreciating different things, nature, other cultures, no flamin TV or x box
    GO FOR IT MATE

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I noticed the same thing
    folks who grow up on the water are a whole different breed
    thick skin and forgiving
    one for all and all for one attitudes to a man
    Ive met some pretty grumpy old salts as well, but not one of em would not instantly lend a hand when needed

its a great crowd and Im sure you will really appreciate the generous nature and warm hearted fun around the marina

13. yipster

yipster designer

if you (r wife) like, with tv, no point but check beds, 180 even 190 cm beds may be to small for extended living
    the area your in also plays a big role, in winter you want an extra 10 cm room at your footend to isolate the hull etc etc
    but even in winter there no substitute for a nice liveaboard, must be nice tho or it can be hell as well

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

sucks being tall
    another reason Ill be building my own
    head room and a decent sized berth

[​IMG]

this yacht is the 46' wooden commuter yacht Widgeon designed for the Chesapeake bay area
    its on the top of my list these days
    although information on it is extremely scarce
    Im thinking I can complete the hull only for about $14,000

if you want to buy you will definitely need a survey of any such boat you chose as the older wooden yachts are problematic in terms of maintenance

if you want to build ( not your cheapest option these days ) they are the probably the most beautiful of boats out there and could be brought up to modern standards without changing the look to much

15. The copper guy

The copper guy Junior Member

You Are A Lucky Guy

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.