Help with Choosing

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by bmw3457, Jan 26, 2010.

1. bmw3457

bmw3457 Junior Member

I am trying to decide between two boats, one is a 19 foot deep v chris craft the other is a 22 foot round bottom - pics attached. Main use is for family trips round gulf - semi-protected but does get quite a bit of chop and sometimes largish waves. Can anyone give me some ideas or advice of what I need to think about.

Attached Files:

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Go with the Cris Craft deep V. You did not say who made the other boat. These are small boats and do not like rough seas so always check the weather before you go out and buy a small kicker engine to get you home if main engine fails. Have a very good radio, know how to use it and Coast Guard approved life vests.

3. bmw3457

bmw3457 Junior Member

designer

The designer of the other boat was a reaosnably well known NZ boat designer, Jack Cropp, originally an olympic yachtsman. Apparently he based the design on a whaleboat form.

4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

One huge diference btween these boats is the power required to drive them. The Chris is almost certianly a very good design but will take much much more power to drive. The NZ could be run at 10 to 15 knots gracefully consuming 1/4 the fuel as the Chris. I wish that "NZ" was here .. I'd buy it. I have a deep V much like the Chris (Winner) and running it at 10 to 14 knots is awful. I never do but I really want to do just that. I may build my own boat again as I want a boat that isn't available here .. or I probably will run the Winner at 20 knots.

Easy Rider

5. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

One huge difference between these boats is the power required to drive them. The Chris is almost certainly a very good design but will take much much more power to drive. The NZ could be run at 10 to 15 knots gracefully consuming 1/4 the fuel as the Chris. I wish that "NZ" was here .. I'd buy it. I have a deep V much like the Chris (Winner) and running it at 10 to 14 knots is awful. I never do but I really want to do just that. I may build my own boat again as I want a boat that isn't available here .. or I probably will run the Winner at 20 knots.

Easy Rider

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.