fixing and restoring my first boat (1963 glasspar Avalon g-3 ski boat)

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by tom7894, Oct 23, 2009.

1. tom7894

tom7894 the boat man

I bought my first boat for 300$ when I was 15 it’s a 1963 glasspar Avalon g-3 ski boat with an 80cc engine. The boat needs some work but it’s usable the way it is. However I won't to make it look good. The things I need to fix is a small gash in the fiberglass, glue the carpet back down, put a new steering wheel on, put a new window on it and touch up the pant and it will look good as new.:cool: all’s I need to know is what to use to fix the small gash in the fiberglass and where to buy some thing to fix it? Also I need to know how to take of the steering wheel do I need a steering wheel puller or will it just come off?, and what kind of paint do I buy to touch it up.and where do I buy a new window for a 1963 boat.

1 person likes this.
  2. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

well you need some polyetser resin and fibre galss mat to fix the hole ..you may be able to buy a kit at an auto store but thats the expensive way unless its a small hole say 9 in long x1 inch wide ....take the nut out the centre of the wheel and pull and tap it but not too hard ..they usually come off the taper ...Paint well I dont know whats on it already maybe some auto spary can will do it ... Windscreen ..difficult as it may have to be custom made ..but looking at thephoto looks prity standard you may find on at a boat wreckers .....

That 80cc engine worries me .I think you mean a Mercury 800 which is 80 hp so it should go like **** off a shovel and the motor is a bit of a classic too ...look at www.oldmercs.com If you google Galspar Avalavon you will find its a classic and loads of people like them

Attached Files:

3. tom7894

tom7894 the boat man

thanks a lot, i did not know what to call the engine but i do know its a Johnson super sea horse, as I'm new to boats. but its fast as hell and it runs really good. i might have someone throw some new spark plugs and points in it but its fine the way it is.can i start in when its not in the water or will that blow the engine.and the small gash in the fiberglass its not a hole its just where the trailer scraped of some fiberglass and paint.Do you know where i can buy a know windshield for it i have looked all over for one. but i have had no luck.

4. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

You can have a plastic windshield made. Here in Tacoma there is a place called Keltech that does such things. I am sure New York has similar places. The cost is not really too bad. I am familiar with your boat, great fun, pretty radical boats for their time in a wholesome sort of way. Good luck with your project.

5. tom7894

tom7894 the boat man

yeah i will have to look on Google to see if i can find a place that makes plastic windshield in ny.

6. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

you can fill the gash with car body filler and spary it over or use gelcoat in the right colour...you might have to put on a few layers and sand it between layers ..

you must run the engine either in water or with some ear muffs to a hose pipe..if the engine runs well the most I would do is change the plugs leave the contacts under the flywheel alone.

Main thing to check is the oil in the gearbox ( bit behind the propeller) dont panic if its white drain it out and re fill ..usually EP 90 oil and check it after your next run .....if its the motor I think there is a pin the side of the casing ...dont take that out its part of the gear shift linkage !! make sure you get the drain plug and filler plug ....you fill it up to the top of the filler plug..

If you look at all the googles of your boat you will see some have a very small windscreen ....you may be able to make one easy or cut yours down and paint it ...some are only wind deflectors.....

send some pictures and let up know how you go

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

Really do´nt know what your "gash" could be about. When it´s only a scratch in the surface, say not deeper than a few Millimeter, than you can just smeer some epoxy putty on it (sticks better than poly and makes it watertight), fair and sand it, then paint it over.
    If the scratch is deeper you have to apply some glassfibre to give it stability.
    Sand down a area a bit larger than the repair spot, make a smooth transition and lay some glass fabric in epoxy resin in the "wound". lay several layers until you have build up the correct thickness. Taper it out from centre to the sides.
    Then fair and sand and paint.

Regards
    Richard

8. tom7894

tom7894 the boat man

thanks, but i do not know what your talking about when you say deflectors?the things on the back of the trailer? why would i cut those?

9. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Here the phonebook would work better, under plastics.

10. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

some of the windscreens are only wind deflectors not full windscreens ...if you posted a picture of you boat we would know what you have ..and if you looked at pictures of similar models on the internet it would give you ideas

11. tom7894

tom7894 the boat man

yeah I'm posting a pic of it tonight when my sister gits home and thanks tollywally I'm going to go look in the phone book right know.

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think those were made by Taylor. They are still in business.

13. tom7894

tom7894 the boat man

that's cool

14. GG

GG offshore artie

Just a mention that if you plan on filling a gash with epoxy like someone else recommended and spraying it with gell coat it will not adhere to the epoxy because of the amines no matter how much catalyst you put in the gell unless its primed first .

15. tom7894

tom7894 the boat man

oh, lol that's a good thing you sead some thing because i was thinking a bought doing that. lol last night i had to cut of the steering wheel with a grinder and it made me really dizzy haha i hope i can fix the threads on it, that i messed up.and i still kinda feel like **** i hope i don't have led poising or some thing??