Bare Hull Weights

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by sailsocal, Mar 18, 2009.

1. sailsocal

sailsocal Junior Member

Can someone point me to online data for the weight of bare hulls of various length and beam? If not, does anyone know the weight per square foot of hull surface for typical foam-core fiberglass construction?

2. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

There is no typical foam core/glass hull section and there is certainly no typical hull of specific length and breadth. If you can offer the exact makeup of the section of interest, I'm sure there are those here who can answer the question.

I suggest you get Dave Gerr's book on strength of materials which will have some background information on hull layups of different materials.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This poster has been asking for information about design basics, in several threads, Tom. Considering the nature of the questions, it suggests somewhat naivety in the engineering and realities of yacht design.

4. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Perhaps the best way to answer the question is with another...
    Why do you want to know?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.