need help.

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by 80chriscraftski, Jul 30, 2008.

1. 80chriscraftski

80chriscraftski Junior Member

Hello, Im new here and to boats. But not mechanics.

I need some info on where to find a repair/service manual for Chevy 350 marine motor (inboard).

I have a 1980 chris craft 17' ski boat and cant find any information on it.

couple of issues Im having.

1. the drive shaft is leaking from a plastic seal around the shaft. Slowly but enough to make me have to run the bilge every hour or so. And Im afraid to keep it in a slip over night. How do I fix this and where would I get the parts.

2. Im pretty sure I need a new alternator (as Ive gotten stuck on the water 2 x's with dead batteries 2 new ones), where can I find these? Ive done searches and only find generic type altenators.

3. My throttle is stiff and very non/over responsive. The boat can get up to speed quickly but over shoots the speed I want to travel. Then when I de throttle it goes below the speed I want. Its a constant battle to keep the boat at an even 20-24 mph (my ideal wake is thrown at these speeds)

any help would be greatly appreciated :)

2. 80chriscraftski

3. redtech

redtech Senior Member

1.that shaft packing needs to be tightened or replaced
    2.what make of marinizer is it (mercruiser, inmar, plearsure craft, marine power) this mite help in finding the altenator you have if not just have your rebuilt
    3.if the throttle is stiff start with a little oil on all the linkages

4. pdave1s

pdave1s http://impboatclub.com

Sticky throttle

I use an engine assembly lube, moly graphite mix,(Napa) and wipe the inner cable liberaly on every cable I install, works and lasts like a charm. Especialy in setups that have sharp, or several bends. On a cable that is already installed, keep applying to the exposed ends of cable, and working back and forth. eventualy entire length of cable will be coated.
    There are also pressure cable lube kits for motorcyle cables that may work.
    Find out what marine mfg the engine is, the try overtons, or amazon for a Seloc or clymers manual.
    The stuffing box is a pain because they are seldom labled by mfgr, most marine shops can repack this (If possible, watch and learn, this needs checked at least 2 times a season and is not too difficult once you have seen it done.)
    Dave

5. 80chriscraftski

So,

I have a Motorola 8RG2009A alternator and cant find anyone who can test if its any good.

I will lube the throttle and try to the other suggesting for the slow leak in the drive shaft (coming out of the plastic coupler) and get back to you all.

I have another question, where the heck is my oil dip stick on this motor? I cant find it anywhere.

6. boatsmith

boatsmith Junior Member

re

You can get the alternator tested at any Napa Auto Parts, Kragen, Schucks, auto-zone...
    The dipstick mounts to the oil pan, instead of down into the block, the top end of the tube looks like a garden hose fitting, for sucking the oil out. Left rear corner of engine. I have come across many of these that are missing!

7. 80chriscraftski

actually

Actually,

Kragen, Shucks, Autozone and Napa, all said that they could not test it. They said they dont have the right Plug. I dont know why they just cant figure it out. Ive always said I know more than thoes guys behind the counter.

8. boatsmith

boatsmith Junior Member

re

Is there an Auto electric shop in your town? Find a shop that rebuilds alternators, or starters. You may have to bring the plug, and regulator from your boat. Another alternative, is to obtain a delco remy self exciting marine alternator, only needs one wire from the Battery.( http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S(bd2lis554zl1t045f0josc45))/Detail.aspx?R=RPS7152PS_0209576306 ) The basic schematic for wiring it can be found in most OMC outdrive Seloc manuals.(May not cover your drive setup, but covers the spectrum of engines used for marine use http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...me=Repair-Manuals&aID=24I&merchID=1009&r=view ) If the motorola is too difficult to test, Just replace it, bypass the regulator with the delco, as it is self regulating, puts out 60 amps, and will meet your needs. Better to be back on the water than hunting to searce for a shop for the old alt. Your only other alternative is to have a marine shop test it, and pay their price, which would probably cover the replacement cost!
    Pay attention to detail with any wiring modification.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.