Need Help with my 1966 IMP Navajo!

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by alganoe, May 18, 2008.

1. alganoe

alganoe Junior Member

Hi everyone, I am a new owner of a 1966 IMP Classic Deep V, (I think), I salvaged this boat from somebodys backyard, it had been abandoned there for 5 years. The previous owner had died and his children wanted nothing to do with it so is sat there. With many doubts as to the condition of this boat, we hooked up the trailor and drug it back home two hours away. The interior had just been redone the year the owner passed away, and it was dirty but when cleaned it was imaculate. Not knowing if the motor had seized up we messed around with it and eventually after a few hours started it up with a new battery and got it to turn over, but it still needs some work. My fiancee and I are turning this into our little project. But I cannot find any info on my year and style of boat. Also, we are dumbfounded as to where the dip stick for the oil is??? If anyone knows, please let me know. This particular engine I believe is an inboard Buick V6. Will be posting pics soon.

Thanks, Amy

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

3. alganoe

alganoe Junior Member

Thanks for the help

I seem to have gained a lot of knwledge about the history of these boats, but I see it is a bit of a treasure hunt in order to find any real information on the boat itself, engine, hull design, so on and so on. So far we have been switching out our old engine parts for parts from Advanced Auto that are essentialy the make of an old buick. This seems to be working well. We have a new battery, new spark plugs, new coil, new fuel pump, new oil and filter, and just sent our carburator to our friend who is a mechanic to see if he can take it apart, clean it, and possibly rebuild it. We had the engine turning over for short bursts while spraying either in it, so we are pretty sure after we get this last piece back it will run, I hope. So far we have spent $250 in replacing parts for the engine, I don'e think that is to bad seeing how the boat was free. I just hope it is not a money pit. I have heard nothing but good things about these boats, ans I am excited to take it out soon and see what she can do.

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you have just committed the classic mistake by using automotive parts on a marine engine. Read this Marine Engines 101: http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/fuel-2.html
    IMP built excellent boats and if you take good care of it it will last a long time and give you much enjoyment. That second link I gave you is to the IMP owners club. That was started by a fellow in the same position you are in several years ago. There are a lot of owners out there with very little info on the boats. He started the web site to collect info for owners. There is a dealership near Iola, where these boats were made, named Robinson's (I thinK) that sold and service these boats and there are people there who know alot about them.

But, if you want to be a safe and not blow your boat into the next county, do not use automotive parts to replace marine parts. There is a big difference. Yes they do cost a lot more. But if you look around you may be able to find places that do rebuilds, or sell used, or even find another engine you can scavenge them off of. Those buick engines were very popular at the time.

Be safe!
    National Safe Boating Week May 17-23
    Wear Your Lifejacket
    Don't drink and operate your boat
    Take a boating Safety Class

5. alganoe

alganoe Junior Member

here's a pic of my 1966 IMP Navajo

Attached Files:

6. alganoe

alganoe Junior Member

here's a pic of my 1966 IMP Navajo

7. alganoe

alganoe Junior Member

more pics

Attached Files:

8. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Looks like it is in great shape

9. pdave1s

pdave1s http://impboatclub.com

RE: IMP information

>alganoe, welcome to the insane world of Iola Moulded Plastic!
    Your NAVAHOE is one of the first of many boats built under the I.M.P. name. Its design origins begin with Redfish Boats. There is not a lot of information avail when it comes to the actual hull, but the power packages are common across the board. IKE is right, you need to use marine parts. If you have a Napa Auto Parts store near you, they list, and carry marine engine parts, usually at a better price than the boat shops. Your Life Is Not Worth A Few Dollars Saved.
    Feel free to log on to the IMP BOAT CLUB, http://impboatclub.com We are a Growing group of owners of these fine boats, digging up every scrap of information we can about these boats, and posting it in one place.
    Yours appears to be in great shape, but there are a few common problem spots to check, a thourough inpection of your boat should be made to determine what condition your fuel tanks, engine mounting stringers, water pump, and ball gears are in. There is usally someone available on the club forum that can answer questions and get advice from.
    These boats are well known for their ride, and their rough water handling, I wish you luck on your project, and many years of enjoyment from it
    Dave

10. alganoe

alganoe Junior Member

Blowing up is no good

Oh blowing up that sounds quite scary, that would probably ruin my day. But actually Napa Auto Parts is who I first consulted due to the fact that the original oil filter was from there so we took it there to match it up and get a new one. We just go to Advanced because it is considerably closer, with gas prices the way they are. I do have a marine battery, but I am curious as to what parts could be considered dangerous? Besides what I have already mentioned we have not planned on switching out any other parts. But just in case, I would like to know for future reference.
    I appreciate your input Dave and Ike, I am learning more and more about this boat every day. I am excited to begin aesthetic portion of the boat. I am unfamiliar with gelcoat paint and haven't decided what color to go with yet. I would like to keep some of the classic feel of the boat intact, but also help it match the new interior. Any ideas what look good on boats???

11. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Did you go to the link I provided? Marine Engines 101: http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/fuel-2.html

Your comment about sending the carb to a friend to be rebuilt caught my attention. Be sure your friend realizes this is a marine carb and gets the right rebuild kit. Alternators, starters, fuel hoses, wiring, are all different than on cars. Boats have flame arrestors on the carb, not a filter. There are significant differences. Read Marine Engines 101. It will explain all the differences.

12. alganoe

alganoe Junior Member

Well just got the carb back and it was taken apart cleaned and put back together, and now the engine turns over great. A couple more small tweaks and we will be ready to take her out and see if she floats, ha ha. Still having problems locating the dip stick for the oil, we don't feel very comfortable running it for very long periods of time without knowing how much oil is suppose to be in the thing. I just wish I could find somewhere I could purchase an owners manual or some information about the boat. I know the history of the company, but not to much more than that.

13. edjunior

edjunior Senior Member

It might help if we knew what kind/size engine/outdrive it has. Have you been over to the IMPBOATCLUB website yet?

14. alganoe

alganoe Junior Member

Oil???

Well as far as I can tell, or have been told by others, this is an inboard-outboard V6, possibly manufactured by oldsmobile, or buick.

15. 66IMPNavajo

66IMPNavajo New Member

66 IMP Navajo

It appears I'm the new owner of the boat that alganoe used to own. I'm currently working on the light wiring, and then will tackle the fuel tanks, fuel lines and venting...lots of broken, cracked engine compartment venting hoses. Alternator is also in need of rebuild...then I'll try to take it on the water for a test run. I've been reading the posts about using marine parts and will definately heed that warning!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.