Hull design for deckboat vs. bowrider

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by cwolf55, Apr 7, 2008.

1. cwolf55

cwolf55 New Member

I'm looking for a 22 to 24 foot boat for day cruising and wakeboarding on the Long Island Sound, which at times can get somewhat choppy. I found some good deals on Crownlines - one is a bowrider (300+ hours) with a deep V hull, and the other is a a newer (100 hours), roomier deck boat with Crownline's "F.A.S.T. Tab, vented hull with reversed chines and delta performance pad." My question is whether the deep V hull will be noticeably more stable than the semi-modified bow? Also, the newer deckboat has a 260 HP 5.0 L engine, while the older, deep V has a 350 MAG 300HP enigne. My son, whom I will pull wakeboarding, is 6' and weighs 190 lbs. Is the 260 HP engine strong enough - is there a noticeable difference in those engines?

2. charmc

charmc Senior Member

The deep V will ride much better at speed in a heavy chop. The deck boat will be more stable at low speeds and at anchor. Expect the riders in the bow to be very wet in a chop in either boat.

I believe either engine will be sufficient to tow a good sized male at wakeboarding speeds with 2 or 3 people in the boat, IF either boat has the right prop. If a previous owner wanted all out speed and carried only light loads, changing the prop to one with a different pitch might improve performance for your duty. People wanting deck boats and bow riders often want them to carry a large number of people. That's OK, but remember that board towing performance will deteriorate as the load increases.

Get as much data as you can, including prop diameter and pitch, then search on line for reviews of the original boats, any owners clubs, and the mfr's data sheets. Get as much hard spec and review data as you can and compare it to what you realistically expect to do with the boat. Every design is a compromise, the goal is to find a boat in which the strong points of the design are useful to you.

3. cwolf55

cwolf55 New Member

Props

Thanks for your reply. They both have Bravo 3 twin stainless steel props, 12 inches in diameter ( I don't know the pitch). What do you think?

I know the Crownline owners club forums -- do you know of any good websites that have review of the original boats?

4. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Usually searching by adding the word review after the model will lead you to at least one or two.

I'd ask your questions in the owners forums; you might run across some folks who do what you want to do and can speak from experience.

5. cwolf55

cwolf55 New Member

One more question -- I noticed that the deep v boat has an 18 inch deadrise, and the deckboat has a 19 inch deadrise -- I would have though the deep v's deadrise would be higher, no?

6. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Not sure what you mean. V angles are usually measured in degrees. 18 deg is not a very "deep" V; most are more than 20 degrees. "Deep" is a subjective term, however, and its use will vary from mfr to mfr. Marketing types like to use the term to create an association with offshore powerboat racers and rough water handling ability, which may or may not exist in reality.

7. mankorn427

mankorn427 BlackRose

I have a 19.5 ft with a 4.3L carb V6 with a 21p prop and it will pull my 6' 225lb friend out of the water with no problem. I usually pull a wakeboarder with 3 or 4 people in the boat and a cooler and 3/4 gas also.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.