Carolina custom sportfish plans/lines

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Breakwater, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Breakwater

Breakwater Junior Member

A request for those connoisseurs of fine boat design.

I'm in hopes to find a lines drawing, or plans for a true Battle Wagon. You know, those few custom sportfish boats that have unparallelled sea-keeping ability and manuverability.
    In the realm of Merrit, Buddy Davis, Jim Smith, Rybovich, to name a few.

The catch is I'll be building a 4-5 foot (yes, 4-5 foot) Model, so the plans don't need to be detailed down to where to run the bilge wires.
    I've allready got my full-sized Doug Zurn Battleship.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

If someone has a set that can produce a 50' or so footer let me know as well.

3. BWD

BWD Senior Member

Were I you I would talk to the builder and/or designer of my boat. I would think they'd let you use the lines for a model for a nominal fee. My grandfather had a 40 footer he built a model of. I think he took lines off the boat himelf. The boat's long gone, but we still have the model. It's not precise, but captures the charcter and arrangements very well.

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Some will part with an old set of numbers and a profile from a couple of boats back , for the asking.

FF

5. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

6. Breakwater

Breakwater Junior Member

Thanks very much for the help.

I'm somewhat aprehensive about approaching a builder, just knowing that they (and you can't blame them) like to keep their plans close to their hearts.

I don't mind paying a few bucks for plans and lines if necessary

Pericles, that is a great link, and certainly a place to start. am I mistaken or is there nowhere to download the acutal plan for that boat. Am I missing it?

Thanks for the great help thus far!

7. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Breakwater,

Explore http://www.bateau.com/ for more information, especially the Forum related to CX25. http://forums.bateau2.com/search.php?mode=results

A deep VEE hull for modelling purposes does not need to be very sophisticated, as propulsion power will easily overcome drag. However, the second link is a very smooth design that you could model, using Jacques methods at first link.

http://bateau2.com/content/category/5/78/28/

http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3167/ppuser/7697

Pericles

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I can make a set of plans for you. This is with the understanding that it is for a model only. I have lofted and made molds for about thirty Carolina boats and built and repaired many more.

9. Breakwater

Breakwater Junior Member

I would be most gratious.

As I mentioned, I really only need bare-bones. Shadows would be amazing.
    I love my Zurn Center console, but can't see owning/building any other "real" boat.

My hobbies are in building models, which is why this came about. I just have allways loved the shapes of hulls, and this is a great way for me to lay my eyes on the lines.

I've included a set of plans for a 10-rater model similar to those I build (these plans are publicly published) and a picture under-sail. Iona, designed by graham bantock.
    you can see where, should I wish to build that into an offshore racer, there would be several missing details :p

Attached Files:

10. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Breakwater,

About 14 years ago, I called on Graham Bantock in Kelvedon,to show him the hull of an 18" free lance designed model yacht that my father had hand carved for me from a hunk of firewood in 1944 during WW2. I was then nearly 3 and can still remember it sailing (poorly) with a gaff rig and 2 headsails sewn from an old sheet.

Anyhow, in 1993 I refurbished the hull, raised the sheer and redecked the topsides. The wooden mast was long gone, together with rudder and bowsprit. Graham designed a new rig in 2 minutes and I purchased the makings from him and returned home. http://www.sailsetc.com/location.htm

Two days later, with fixed rudder, aluminium mast and bowsprit installed and a complete suite of modern sails cut and rigged, the yacht was relaunched at a suitable pond. What a success. She sailed beautifully to whichever heading the rigging was set. We used a fishing rod and very light line to pull the bow around and reverse course and had great times sailing it up to 400 yards away and then back to us on the Norfolk Broads.

The self tacking jib that Graham recommended works a treat and when the hull is repainted I'll email you a picture.

Regards and good luck with your plans,

Pericles

11. Deedaddy

Deedaddy Junior Member

The Carolina Style hull

I am new here and this post caught my interest.
    I have helped build several yachts in this style 38' to 64'. My son owns http://caisonyachts.com/ and I cut a lot of the jigs molds for the boats they build. Plans are produced by in house design team.
    I also cut CNC plywood kits for the amateur boat builder that are sold by the designer. One of these is the CS-25 ....plans are also sold by the designer.

I do have my own design that I sell kits for that I could give you the hull lines. The attachment shows the hull with bracket for outboards in a 28' size. Other transoms are also available.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  12. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Deedaddy,

Nice looking boats. I notice that these boats have the tumblehome carried forward of the sheer break with the aft outwhale carried along. Are any of your models done with the tumblehome ending aft of the sheer break and therefore without the crease. For some reason, I prefer this later type even though the former may be more indigenous to North Carolina.

1 person likes this.
  13. Deedaddy

Deedaddy Junior Member

Do you have a picture of what you are asking for. Mods are very possible above wetted surfaces within CG limits.

14. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

The photo posted above by Breakwater is one example although the little dodad under the sheer is a distraction. The boats by Rybovich are other examples. What I mainly mean is that the tumblehome is not carried forward of the sheer break and blends onto forward flare without the crease.

15. Deedaddy

Deedaddy Junior Member

Like this?

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.