Yrvind

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Aug 16, 2011.

1. WindRaf

WindRaf Senior Member

2. MoeJoe

MoeJoe Junior Member

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Sven!

Will the boat be ready for first water trials in 2015? Would be cool to see..

Sven shows he is dedicated to the project for sure:

"..The dentist has pulled out 7 teeth. Preventive. Now there is only the front ones, the elegant ones left.
    It took the dentist one and a half houer to get them out. They were well anchored.
    I think tooth ache might be one of the big problems on a trip like the one I am planning.
    With only the front one left the problem is much reduced."

Hardcore! :eek:

3. MoeJoe

MoeJoe Junior Member

Hamnen.se (The Harbour) have a video blog on Sven Yrvind called "Yrvind's Workshop".
    They post a series of clips where he answers questions and explains his thoughts and experiences on various themes. Pretty entertaining and interesting (Well, at least if you understand Swedish):

http://www.hamnen.se/bloggar-kronikorer/yrvind/

4. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

interesting videos :)
    shows a lot more of the boat
    thanks

5. Eric17

Eric17 Junior Member

6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

7. Eric17

Eric17 Junior Member

????

Well, I really like Scows, and the Paradox as well
    So I should love this "Paradoscow"

but I'm very surprised by these news

Eric, from France

8. Yes

Yes Junior Member

This is what I wrote year 2012:

03-02-2012, 08:21 PM

Rep: 19 Posts: 4
    Hello...I'm fine here! Hope you're fine too. I'm also looking forward to it. But I think Yrvind should NOT put any pressure on himself to complete or start this adventure if he has any doubts about it.

One has ALWAYS the option to change ones mind for whatever reason.

So he changed his mind...no big deal. It's his life.:)

9. MoeJoe

MoeJoe Junior Member

Yes, a bit of a shame considering all the time and effort he put into the AIT, but was still interesting to follow that project. And I'll do the same for the new boat he's building.

10. Westel

Westel Senior Member

Without any doubt one of the greatest sailors of the 20 th century but he bitten off a bigger piece than he could shew with the AIT I guess.
    It's the first time that I know that he changed his mind during the build of the boat so many times......not a good sign.
    He can change his mind,and with this project probably not a bad move, but when you get other people and their money involved than "I've changed my mind" has a little more in it than a phrase.....
    Wonder if his sponsors will be eager to invest in other sailing adventures from other people....

Anyhow, better to change your mind now than to be in big sh#t and realize that you had to change your mind when it still was possible....

11. Eerik

Eerik a wannabe designer

In fact, Sven has already worked on this "boat ideal" like concept during his last Atlantic crossing, a 5.8m boat (which has now been reduced to 5.3m); when he found out that that the Irvind 1/2 didn't perform as expected... As a backup version he also considered a 10 footer, beeng afraid not to have enough finances for the bigger boat. He may have understood now, what he is after, and is impatient to wait the finishing of "10"; preparing the trip; 1.5 years of sailing; recovering... and then only to start with what he believes is "the boat". Beside, he is not getting any younger. And as he builds a prototype first - he has to build 2 more boats (at least). So it may well have been the best decision for him, giving others the opportunity to be the first 10 foot circum navigator. Thumbs up to him from me. :)

1 person likes this.
  12. Westel

Westel Senior Member

Sven has updated his "present project" site and is seemingly reading the BDF:D:D

He's a great sailor....but what a pathetic way to defend his "change".
    "Serge Testa's boat was not 12ft-the Am Cup guys are bending the rules-Gerry Spiess used an outboard engine-tax lawyers try to find loopholes......"
    A 15 ft boat is "smaller" than a 10 ft boat if only you use the new invented set of measurements.....
    It's the DUTY of a record breaker to find loopholes in the rules.......

Not so long ago million dollar deals where settled with a handshake and a word and the paperwork followed later because a word was a word, period. Nowadays you need a lawyer to change the paper roll in the toilet.....thanks to the "loophole finders" and "rule cheaters".

Sad , very sad but......that's seemingly how the world works today....

13. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Nicely worded Eerik, 100% agree [​IMG]

14. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Wise sponsors and friends, keep them close . . :idea:​

15. Westel

Westel Senior Member

His "Ten" project was just a stepping stone ? Does this not sound like salting the soup after you've eaten it ?

Wonder how he could fit the "smaller" 14ft yuloh in a "bigger" 10ft boat, unless het cuts the "smaller" 14 ft length into "bigger" 7ft sections :confused:

Very great respect for what Sven has done but trying to "Clinton" his way out of the Ten.............

Hope he succeeds in building his "Ideal" boat and make the voyage he dreams off !!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.