Are You Personally Prepared For a Natural Disaster?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Submarine Tom, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The slower the speed of the prop the more chance you have of it staying on.

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Yo frosty, is that "Alfred E Newman's baby" as your avatar ??? - - You must be proud :D :D :p - - - Nice to see you are still around...

Yep, the prop will not come off as there are 17 splines, a locking bolt and 2 grub screws and it is geared down at 2.56:1 so does a little above 1000 rpm at full throttle and the propellers are 15" x 12" pitch with large surface area blades delivers about 10 hp to get 10 knots burning 3litres/hour @ 300 engine rpm, via each engine... SUPER EFFICIENT...

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I was referring to the paint staying on --not the prop.

I cant do 10 kts I would have to keep taking it out of gear to get down to those speeds.

4. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Mas had the propspeed coating applied by a local crazy person who guarantees his work.
    Didn't you read Mas said, it was secured by a NUT? :p

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Yobarnacle,
    LOL... :D :D - - - - - And you are so correct, the paint (prop-speed was done by a "professional" - ie he was paid to do the job as lots of plastic like stuff had to be removed first) and the propeller is to be secured by a nut doing the securing of the bolt and the grub screws - - The only nut will be holding the socket wrench (ME . . . .)

Hi Frosty,
    But But but, - like the 'tortoise and the hare' parable, I will continue at 10 knots regardless of wind and sea state (well, "within reason", as comfort desires are significant over-riders), for some 200 hours or 2000 N. Miles... How far back will you be in this region of no marinas for regular fuel supplies?

Well computer is fixed - - New laptop has Linux Mint installed and working nicely - SCREW Windows for it is a leaky, unreliable and defective OS fraught with dangers from viruses and other nasties that are attracted to the "windows" legacy...

6. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Not gonna be "Debby Does Dallas" all over again ? :eek:

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Mr Efficiency,
    Just links would be sufficient... Bandwidth for some to download full size pretty pictures is sometimes annoying, - - links give discretion, and loading images via the paper clip displays as thumbnails and a small download, - until the image is "clicked" to download a bigger picture...

Thanks...

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

One engine at idle with 1.6 tons of fuel I would be expecting 2000 miles.

Youylle Knot go into the wind and tide at 10 Nts It will stop you dead. Even go backwards

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Wanna buy some water wings.

11. Yobarnacle

Do it Yourself RO watermaker

http://www.albin25.eu/our-a25ak-dido/34-dido-stories/60-didos-watermaker?start=2

Hi Masalai
    Here is a site where folks on a 25 ft Albin 25 (same as my boat before I lengthened it to 30 ft with a canoe stern)
    They have built and offer free plans and instructions for a homemade reverse osmosis water maker. Uses a low cost Karcher pressure washer as the pump.
    they claim it works good where they are and fresh water hard to come by.
    Some of the cheapo homestyle pressure washers have ceramic or ceramic coated stainless steel piston pumps in them. That's the kind to look for. The metal pumps will corrode up fast. Commercial models I've used on commercial vessels have the ceramic pumps.
    Enjoy

http://www.shopping.com/karcher-pressure-washer-parts-australia/products

1 person likes this.
  12. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Gooday 'Hoy' - Come on bloke - let us know what's going on - eh. You O.K. ???

Another weather map - like the one - you showed before - would be fab. Some of us out here in OZ - got friends & releis - all over the USA & Canada - so really - a good map for us. Don't take to much critisism from 'Masa' cause he's having a 'bad hair day' with his computer & is not his usualy great self. When he realises he can get another 500 ks out of some much cheaper fuel tanks - all will be well in his world (& we'll be happy for him also) & he wont mind some weather maps anymore, either. Ciao mate - keep safe, well & healthy, james

13. Yobarnacle

I'm hoping the watermaker I posted will let Mas cut down on water tankage and have more fuel tankage.
    I've run vessels that had dual purpose ballast tank, fuel tanks.
    When the fuel was gone, you could salt down the tanks to keep the props submerged. Dual manifolds, and a bladder in the metal tank, so no contamination once the bladder flattened, surround it with seawater in the same space. Don't think I do that with drinking water tho! :D

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Hey there Silver,
    I was not complaining about the content, just the manner, and with the web link even you could copy and bookmark that link and check out the weather status as often as you wished...
    A link is far more useful than a pretty picture as then you can see the most recent developments... DUH?

http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/cha...EST&area=Qld&model=A&chartSubmit=Refresh View for Queensland, I find this option very useful... This shows MSLP and rainfall - by changing the 4 selections on the upper right of your screen and clicking <refresh>, a whole raft of options await your interest and inclusion as a bookmark/favourite website for your future reference on the Australian region... I will use the wind and swell to find a suitable weather window for the run from Cairns to Samarai...

USA has several good sites and in particular some of the "storm chaser" sites are useful in following "intense weather systems" there...

Thanks Yobarnacle,
    I have the appropriate 'karcher' pump - - I use it for deck wash etc now... The fittings are the killer as the suppliers up the ante for spare parts (membrane, housing, fittings and pipes etc) - worse than spare parts pricing for automobiles... USA has an advantage in a very large population base and competitive marketplace. - - Freight from USA kills that option...

Hi Frosty,
    200 hours running is 1200 litres on both engines... That amount of fuel weighs less than 1tonne... The engines have a max rpm of 3600 and burn about 3 litres/hour each at 3000rpm (close to peak torque and close to 'continuous' rating) and head winds are not that much of a handicap as I intend to do the cruising thing - cruise downwind, when the weather and seas offer a MILD weather window... :D :D

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Heres an economy tip--stay in shallow water and drop the hook when the tide is against you. Move when it with you.

If you do this you dont need to use any fuel at all. Actually without a mast I would do that anyway

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.