World’s Most Powerful Electromagnetic Railgun Tested by the U.S. Navy

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Feb 6, 2008.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

World’s Most Powerful Electromagnetic Railgun Tested by the U.S. Navy
    http://www.defense-update.com/newscast/0208/news/news_030208_railgun.htm
    [​IMG]

Video:
    http://www.livescience.com/php/video/player.php?video_id=080201-railgun

1 person likes this.
  2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Just what the world needs, more and better ways to kill and destroy!!

3. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

The US Navy.

Making the world safer one war at a time.

1 person likes this.
  4. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

I have been involved with studies looking to integrate EM railguns on to ships. There are some big benefits to such a system, and also some real engineering challenges (the power requirements are huge!). They are a bit like a modern day canon, and I believe are only really effective against certain types of target. I suspect they will be on US Navy vessels within 15 years, and RN ones about 5-10years after that.

5. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

this should be moved to the pirate tech page... good stuff... I seen one using compression to hit someone with a battery...

6. kach22i

kach22i Architect

If some of you are squeamish about railguns, then brace yourself for this H.G. Wells "War of the Worlds" weapon. If you have read the orignial book, you know what I'm talking about - the invisible ray.

ARDEC looks into microwave artillery weapon
    http://www.janes.com/defence/news/jdw/jdw060728_1_n.shtml
    By Nathan Hodge JDW Staff Reporter
    Washington, DC

The reason you may not be reading a lot about microwave cannons is the last general who talked about it mentioned using/in-field testing it on war protestors and during civil outbreaks.........................makes you wonder about the fruit loops with their hand on the trigger.:(

What freaks me out about the microwave stuff is that it goes through just about any barrier. You can't hide behind a wall or a bush with these systems.

7. safewalrus

Just as well he's going soon then isn't it?

8. safewalrus

Not squeamish just can't see the need, we havw enough kit to destroy the world half a dozen times why get more?

I suppose the good thing about "microwave" weapons is the fact that you can cook your dinner at the same time!?!

9. nero

nero Senior Member

When they are drunk on power, they have no rationality to stop the party.

"the party is just begining she said, and pulled out a knife." -- cool song one can not here in the u.s.

regards

10. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

The 2 big advantages to rail guns is : No explosives stored on the fireing ship, so no magazine to explode. And a huge increase in range.

IM certain we will be seeing more of these on navy ships.

K9

11. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Still a few engineering challenges to overcome....
    For one, the recoil force on a railgun is enormous; so is the repulsive force between the rails while it's firing. Getting one that can make multiple, powerful shots without destroying itself is not easy.
    Microwave weapons.... this has come up a few times in the news; the main idea being that it's less likely to be lethal to civilians than the US military's current methods of flushing out an area.

But do we really need more ways to hurt and kill each other, or could we perhaps think of better places to direct cutting-edge research efforts? The war on malaria, perhaps? Or the war on famine?

12. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Or....We could cross Malaria with a rail gun to fire mosquitos faster and further.

Or perhaps a rail gun and a can of spam. We could do a drive by feeding.

Just some thought for food. :)

K9

13. masalai

masalai masalai

All a load of **** still the old story of men with a sexual inadequacy complex or something, seeking a bigger and bigger gun - just to say I can make a bigger bang or have a bigger gun.

Sit at a corner where the boys parade their toys and wiggle your little finger at those with big Phat tyres, 6" dia exhaust pipes and so on and see how many yell back "I do not have a tiny dick" or drop a wheelie in protest.:D :D :p (discretely let the cops know they may get some easy tickets to write:D)

14. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

Microwave weapons seem to be an indiscremanent stratgic weapon, much like NBC WMDs. I would rather that they were not allowed. But EM railguns are a much more tactical weapon with some unique advantages. Of course, ideally, we wouldn't go round fighting each other, but just because Iraq is unsuccessful and unpopular does not mean that we should not be prepared for future battles.
    You are mostly the same guys who say on other threads how brave our boys are and how we should remember and respect their efforts to allow us to leive free and democratic lives. Then you blast the scientists who help them with their job.

15. masalai

masalai masalai

Yes PI, it is a bit of a conundrum... I was a soldier & served for 6 years. I hope that being older and wiser, I can afford to give support to the soldiers of my country, and at the same time express concern to the politicians & leaders at the futility of war & fighting....

I would like to see more people of reason prepared to communicate and discover the other view. Then with imagination (lateral thinking or whatever you wish to call it), work some form of agreement where both sides can feel safe and comfortable in their area/country...

The MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) philosophy is not necessary, mutual trust, respect for their view and understanding is necessary... Is a capacity to help others attain a safe and sustainable lifestyle with no strings attached so difficult to implement? - - The "understood" bit is support stops if you hurt me and resumes when I feel better (less hurt)......

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.