will any boats make it across

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Red Right Return, Mar 7, 2012.

1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Please sign me up for a pair that are willing to also do light boat work. :D

How much per day?

2. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Keep the girls, Frosty. I don't need them; I have a woman.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

They are ALL willing to do light boat work. One that sits cross legged filing her finger nails is no good to me.

Generally up early morning do the washing , hang it out, iron yesterdays, shower up and go buy groceries.

In the afternon wash the boat or don a swim suit and clean the water line ( I bought her some new filppers, she wore the old ones out)

Then shower up and make dinner. Always black clean shiny hair sparkling in the sun every one of them.

But thats only a 45Kg Girl What must a woman be like--- wow

We all have one here, it would be almost impossible to not have. EVERY conversation starts with do you have a girl friend,-- unless your in the bank!!! maybe even then.

4. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

A football from the tsunami area has landed on a remote island in Alaska. It was first
    spotted by an Italian tourist, but when the ball got close to him he fell over clutching
    his shin, so an Alaskan was credited with the find.

5. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Page 1 response---Whats a baby seal-- oh you mean a seal pup--we learned the clubbing technique from the non native seal hunters in Alaska. Who by the way had the biggest sealing fur industry in the world up to the late 1950's at which point they slautered them to within a few animals. They had a woosie of a hunt --simply drove the animals onto the land --corraled them like cattle and went to work painting the fence red with baseball bats. I have some good histirical photos if you're into it. By the way it's illegial to hunt seal pups in Canadian waters, has been for years. There that feels better :)
    Page 4 -response question--how radiation hot is this drifting junk going to be when it hits our shores ??? don't think it would be adviseable to handle any of it until the authorties check it out.

6. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Now what about those igloos.

How do you build let alone live in one?

7. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Got me man--they too are a learned art from the north west--Unionized Siberian construction workers- very closed shop :)

8. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Watch Nanook of the North. It's a very old documentary, by a guy who lived with an Eskimo family for a winter. I haven't looked, but I'm sure it's online somewhere....

Igloos were temporary shelters, not homes. And they were built with blocks of snow, not ice. A candle or two plus body heat kept them much warmer than the weather outside...

9. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Viking....

The North Pacific Pelagic seal hunt was closed by international treaty in 1911. That hunt was conducted from small open boats with rifles. See
    http://blog.tadroberts.ca/2011/10/sealing-schooners/

No doubt there were other shore based hunts that used clubs.

10. viking north

viking north VINLAND

MMmmm - have to check my papers on that--I do know in the 40's & 50's Alaska had the largest seal fur industry in the world with most of the pelts shipped to New York buyers who in turn shipped the manufactured products (mostly coats) world wide. Also I seem to have documented (will stand corrected) on the method of harvest as clubs. Popular Science ? Popular Mechanics did a big article on it all. I posted this somewhere on the forum, again will search it down for reference. Present day the very controlled hunt in Eastern Canada is also mostly carried out with guns.( some 95%) Other than that, contrary to the animal rights groups,(clubs)what is used is a man powered device as used in domestic animal slauter houses. I say man powered because in this case the bolt is propelled at the end of a handle and not air driven. The results of course being the same, not pretty in either case, especially on a white background. Regardless back on topic, the radioactive contaminated fish and debri from this latest of mans carelesness and poor planning will most likely in the long run result in far more sickness and death of both seals and humans on our west coasts. Has anyone heard any concern of possible radioactive contamination on this floating debree. Possibly this is why it's being sunk not salvaged. The other concern i have is as we well know fish and other sea creatures consumed by man know no borders are harvested by man all over the Pacific. I would hope there are government inspectors doing stringent tests on this food supply.(tongue in cheek comment of course). If not time to dust off the old 60's cold war meters.

P.S. Very Interesting article TAD --wonder how many Newfoundlanders made up those crews.

11. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Found the article TAD-- under this heading, `(Open Discussions ---- ) OP by Boston--"Any Professional Fishermen Out There" --Page 3--posts 42 to 45. The article shows the seal herds on shore-- They were then driven and corraled into fenced areas from which they were harvested. I have other articles on this and possibly it was a different species of seal than those sea harvested but as stated in this article the hunt was alive and well into the 50's.

12. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Now a Harley Davidson motorcycle in a trailer has washed up on the west coast of Canada.

It has a Japanese license plate on it!

The owner has been notified...

13. longcours62

longcours62 Junior Member

14. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Harley has said they will shine it up and return it. They've already found the guy and told him. He's still living in temporary housing. It was the feel good story on morning radio yesterday.