will any boats make it across

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Red Right Return, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Froster,

I guess you missed post #27 while you were wondering in awe at having missed post #21.

The Canadian Coast Guard and the US Coast Guard are separate entities and operate under different flags.

It wasn't sunk off Vancouver but rather Alaska. What have you been smoking?

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Thanks for the explanation, I don't smoke anything actually. So --it was the American coast guard that sank it in Canadian waters,-- Do the Canadians know this,--now wonder they did'nt bother de fueling it .

Canada is in north America, I did this at a skool? where is Alaske oh oh thats that place with that real hot chick as prime minister and shoots bears N stuff.

3. Submarine Tom

Frosty, get a grip my friend, Alaska is owned by the USofA, so it was in Alakan waters as per post #31.

So, if you don't smoke anything what have you been snorting?

Lol...

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

It is incredible how much the press can mess this up.

The Ryou-Un Maru was not in US or Canadian waters. They persisted in calling it a ghost ship. Good Grief, you'd think it was the Mary Celeste. It was 300 miles off shore in international waters, but slowly drifting towards Alaska. It "might" have had about 2000 gals of diesel fuel on board but nobody is sure of that including the owners. The owners didn't want it back because it was about to be sent to the scrappers anyway when the Tsunami hit and swept it out to sea along with thousands of tons of other debris. It was a hazard to navigation and destined to become more so as it got closer to shore.

They did not sink it with "cannon fire" This was widely used in the press, but the Coast Guard, Navy and other naval forces have not used cannons since the 19th century. It just sounds more "romantic" to say cannon, than machine gun.

It was a 25 millimeter automatic machine gun https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M242_Bushmaster It is a fully automatic weapon. They use a joystick and a console much like a video game, to aim and fire it. It is all done remotely from the bridge. The only time anyone touches the gun is to maintain it and reload the magazines.

The vessel was tracked jointly by the Canadian and US Coast Guard and a Canadian Coast Guard aircraft was overhead monitoring the sinking

Just before the sinking a Canadian Fishing boat tried to claim salvage rights but left. I have a feeling, although it was not reported, that the Canadian government told them to get lost.

Frankly I have always had a lot of heatburn over how the media reports anything the Coast Guard does. They always manage to screw it up. They can't seem to find anyone to report on this that has a clue. It seems they only have enough knowledge to be dangerous. I have had many conversations with reporters and journalists (yes there is a distinction) over the years and they always managed to screw up whatever I said. I can show you the clippings. This one they turned into a circus.

Just an added note, The press said they used 25mm and then larger ammunition. Well that class of cutter is armed with 50 cal machine guns and 25 mm and nothing bigger. So I can't imagine what "bigger' they used. Some larger cutters have 40 mm and 76 mm guns, but the the Anacapa doesn't.

1 person likes this.
  5. Submarine Tom

We wouldn't have known Frosty, we have no idea what goes on in our waters.

With just kayaks and igloos how would we ever patrol such a vast coast line?

Besides, it's just not necessary. Is it?

I'm going to turn this information updating over to you.

Carry on.

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Well, what can you expect out of someone who thinks Sarah Palin is a 'hot chick,' Tom? I'm surprised he knows which hemisphere Canada is in....:p

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

It still took 5 hours to sink it. They could have sunk it quicker by towing in into an ice burg.

Having some one claim it (fishing boat) for salvage would have been far better way of recycling it and taking responsible action over the 'unkown' quantity of fuel on board.

But I guess the bottom lip came out because they wanted something to shoot at.

8. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I suppose if they had an iceberg handy, that might have worked. But of course they didn't. So why shouldn't they use it as a live-fire drill instead?

Maybe you missed the part where we were told it was on its way to the scrap heap, when it got washed away. Towing middling-sized floating piles of scrap out of the middle of the ocean doesn't sound all that profitable to me. Not to mention the legal headaches involved with the fact that some insurance company had probably already paid out on the loss.

But of course, from your bar stool in Thailand you see all and know all. Why should we mere mortals dare to cross your laser-like vision of ultimate reality?

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Don't talk yourself down Troy, your not as bad as you think.

I did read all, did you? you missed the point, a fishing boat was prepared to tow it back to port and scrap it himself --I presume,-- and de fuel it properley. Is that not the story. mayb e he was concerned at fouling his fishing grounds but Oh No---the coast guard wanted to sink it wah wah.

Now does it not seem more responsible to do it that way than sink it with unkown fuel in it?

The coasd guard did'nt want to tow it back but some one else with more consideration did.

I think you know what the right thing to do is/was, your just angry because I said it first.

You say he has already been paid out? Your bar stool is far higher than mine.

10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Whatever I am, it's definitely a cut or two above what you are. For starters, I didn't have to rummage around in a low-rent end of the world to find a woman who'd put up with me....;)

I don't know the story on the fishing boat that supposedly tried to claim the boat as salvage. If it was an honest attempt, rather than just a gesture so they could later claim some bs legal right to compensation for the sinking, yes. I think they should have been given their chance.

Do you have any information at all on their true intentions, or are you just blowing smoke as usual?

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

What other intentions could there be, they wanted to tow it in !!! I guess for the srcap value and at least 1000 dollars worth of fuel.

Ludicrous selfish move to refuse. I hope there are repercussions and jobs made available to people with a brain. I saw the guys face as he said to the camera "there is some sheen / slick but we are coping with it. Well whoopy doo, could have been zero without 2000 dollars worth of shells at tax payers expence. Now they have to stop there and clean up,--at tax payers expense -- on overtime !!. DUH!

Troy really!! If you've never crawled round the gutters of third world counties looking for cheap painted ladies you've never lived,---- and no I aint kidding. better than working for a living.

You sick at work you say. I dont have a job your so lucky. I make about a million baht every 10 cent drop on the US dollar --does that count as a job

Since you showed interest,-- Im on my way out for a few beers again in an hour --its a beautiful day and very warm, my high bar tool awaits me and I might do it again tomorrow.

12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

According to a news article on MSNBC, it was the Canadian vessel Bernice C which tried to take the Ryou-un Maru in tow, before the Coast Guard sank it. She gave up because it was more than she could handle, not because the Coasties ran her off.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...-gulf-of-alaska-after-coast-guard-fires-at-it

But please.... don't let facts get in the way of one of your famed anti-American diatribes.

I did my share of gutter crawling when I was young, and have no regrets. The lack of regret may have something to do with the fact that I was lucky enough to avoid bumping into you there....;)

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

My posts can only be as good as the information I am supplied. I apologize for any mis truths or inaccuracies that im sure you will agree is rare.

Yes it is a shame that I did not crawl into you in some gutter somewhere. Ille try to get over it.

You had better get back to work and keep that job. I feel I would be blamed for that loss as well. Lots of American waiting to take your place I hear.

14. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

In another three years, the folks lined up can take my job and welcome to it. But for some reason, the line of people willing to work the hours I work, in the climate and physical conditions I work them in, and under the stress of knowing a screw-up at work could not only kill people but impact the entire Southern California area for days or weeks, is shorter than you might think.

But no worries. It only takes one qualified person to replace me, and there's always at least one of them in the line. I'm definitely replaceable.

Of course, that's a far cry from saying what I do has no value. I have no doubt whatsoever that I do more to keep the world going than you do.....

But that's OK; someone has to help bartenders and house girls pay their rent. Since I'm not doing it anymore, it's nice that you've stepped in to fill the breach.:)

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Oh Im a selfish SOB that for sure --no kids, I dont give to charity, nope Im here for me only. This aint to dress rehearsal this is it tick tock tick tock --hear it--thats my life, I aint got time for a job or smelly babies,--- Geeezuz --sorry.

But the world needs people like you and I thank you from the heart of my bottom.

Thats the second time you've mentioned girls --Hmmmm!! You interested in them then.

Oh I know what it is you want,---you want me to get you one and ship it. Well I cant do that but there are agencies.