Where can I have a web site built from my design?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Nav123, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Nav123

Nav123 New Member

I need it to be custom and design for our website. Yesterday i was download some free templates. So, Anybody help me .

2. artemis

artemis Steamboater

I do some custom website design. I ask all of my clients three questions:

1. In less than twenty words: what is the purpose of the website?

2. Briefly, what are the goals of the website?

3. What is your favorite color?

Be advised, website design is an art and costs accordingly!

3. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Website Design

You need to do a LOT of work to define what your needs are. Who are the 'consumers' of information. Who creates information? Is your content changing slowly (mostly static) or very quickly (news etc.)?? WHO changes the data? WHO makes website changes.

Etc Etc.

More static websites often are implemented with tools like Dreamweaver.

More Dynamic websites often are implemented with "Content Management" tools like Joomla or Drupal..

You have to do your homework to get a good set of requirements, first.

A lot like Boat Design, actually!

4. PsiPhi

PsiPhi Newbie

As a software engineer one of the first statistics I picked up (and this is before the days of broadband) was that most people will not wail more than 12 seconds for a web page to download, they'll move on somewhere else.
    Tip #1: Don't fill your web site with CRUD that is mostly irrelevent, just for the sake of it.

If you've ever tried to find something on Microsoft, IMB or Oracles web sites you're probably bald from tearing out your hair just trying to find what your after.
    Tip #2: Make it easy to navigate. (Boat Craft comes to mind as a good example I liked recently).

Tip #3: Don't get 'Micro Stuffed' - I.E. is not the only web browser. I aviod sites (and companies) that do not work correctly with Mozzila, Opera, and any other common browser. It's not that difficult to be compliant.

I'm guessing you're not planing on building it yourself (I'm a software engineer and I wouldn't build my own commercial site), you're paying for more than just programming skills, there's the artistic production, advertising copywriting, market knowlege, HCI, - all these skills probably don't come in one person.

Tip #4: Find a few example web sites that you like and either, contact the producer of that site, or site it as an example to your chosen developer.

Hope that helps

5. BruceS

BruceS Junior Member