Where is this?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Wynand N, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Sorry, I see now that his full name was Fredrik Hjalmar Johansen, but we usually call him just Hjalmar Johansen...

2. Raggi_Thor

Bergalia, since it's you I suspect the picture is from an Hebridean island?

3. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Where is this ?

I think it has a parallel with Isabella funding Columbus' jaunt to America, Raggi. But as to the Scots connection - I'll bow to your superior on the spot knowledge. But let's face it - we're all of the same stock...
    :)

And again Raggi - Hebridean Island is correct. I'll put you out of your suspense:

It's the Island of Mull on the Scottish West Coast (mull it over....) and it's Tobermory Bay where the Spanish Treasure ship lies a mere 400 yards off shore. See 'X' in picture.

She is/was the San Juan de Sicilia, a large merchant galleon hired as an armed unit of the great Spanish Armada fleet. She lies under 60ft of water and deeply embedded in the silt, and was blown up in 1588. Her fabled treasure has so far attracted 40 expeditions seeking the great treasure which included the pay chests of the Spanish army which failed to invade England. At the time Independent Scotland was a neutral country and when the fleet was blown off course in a gale San Juan de Sicilia sought refuge in Tobermory Bay where she was given a lengthy refit.*

The theory of her destruction is that an emissary of MacLean of Duart, (Mull’s laird) who had been sent on board to demand a final settlement of the costs of re-fitting, was seized and confined near the magazine.*Desperate to discipline the Spanish he managed to lay a train of gunpowder into the magazine and blew himself up along with the ship.

It should be noted that every 'salvage' attempt has sent the operator 'broke'. So far only a few gold coins and the ship's bell have been recovered.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  4. Raggi_Thor

You know why people from northern Norway, Lofoten, often is dark haired with brown eyes? An Italian ship sunk there in 16 something and the crew was rescued and stayed there for the winter, at home with the wifes while the men was out "rowing fish" :)

5. Raggi_Thor

So we have received some fresh blood from time to time!

Found the story here,
    http://www.svinoya.no/historie3.htm

Pietro Querini
    This was a Venetian nobleman, shipwrecked in the North Sea during the early winter of 1431/32, on a journey from Crete to Flanders. A life boat with survivors from the wreck drifted ashore on the uninhabited island Sandøy, outside Røst. The survivors were found, in very poor condition, in January 1432. They stayed on till spring, and then left on ships carrying stockfish. The Italians´ narratives of conditions on Røst at the time is one of the most important descriptions we have about the lives of ordinary people in North Norway during the Middle Ages. A monument to commemorate Querini and his companions was unveiled on Sandøy, 10 July 1932.

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Where is this ?

What can you say, Raggi. That's the Italians all over...Mind you your lot did much the same thing on the West Coast of Scotland - and worse still - they stole our cattle....:mad:

Meanwhile, as no one else had come forward. Where's this. Famous name among sailing men....
    Not Scotland - Not Norway...:)

Attached Files:

7. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Well, I guess I'm a little dense these past two days, 'cause I'm not getting it. Heavy Spanish influence, tourist pay big to "work" ... I would have said one of the Balearics or Canaries, but they all have populations of 10,000 or more, and I doubt ever any snow....

8. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Where is this ?

Maybe clearer if you read the above Charley...:D

9. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Yes, multitasking can get one behind the times...:D

Bergalia, in defense of Guillermo, Raggi, ... and myself, of course:) , that clue of Spanish influence was hardly "practically telling" what it was. Still, the part about some visitors spending a fortune "working" the site ..... Good one!:D :D

OK, back to work ...

10. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Perhaps true Charley - but I was pretty blatant suggesting you 'mull it over...'
    And yes, back to work...Must finish writing the 'Great Australian Novel...' Let's see now...Chapter one...'It was a dark and stormy night....'

11. charmc

charmc Senior Member

My ancestors came mostly from Ireland. I'm often asked if I'm of Scots descent, followed by a comment that it's hard to tell Scots from Irish. I try to be nice to such people, as they are obviously insensitive clods who don't understand that folk from those two large islands on either side of the Irish Sea treasure and cherish their differences. :) :)

But there are many similarities between the Scots and the Irish. A contributing factor, no doubt, is the fact that the Irish Sea is not so very wide, and many a fisherman in earlier times was blown by storms to a port not his home. As the men of both lands are known for their ability to speak eloquently on many subjects, thus impressing the local lasses, 'tis not surprising at all that there was "intermingling". The poor, storm-tossed wretches had to stay at home with the women until they recovered, while the local lads had to go out to sea again....:D :D

12. charmc

charmc Senior Member

No fair, the mull it over clue was meant just for Raggi, so I ignored it! :D :p :D

13. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Where is this ?

Blast it Charley - how do you expect the 'great novel' to get finished. Anyway you're meant to be working.

The differences between Scots and irish is obvious: We Scots are tall, elegant, lythe and beautiful of face... Whereas it is a well known fact that the Irish are short, squat, cumbersome and lack colour in their kilts....
    :)

14. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Working hard ...........Hmm ........ OK, that spec should help the customer ..... hmm ......... what's that random gibberish showing up on my monitor ....... only some ex-pat Scot rambling ........ hmmmmmm ............. obviously either nuts or bought his mirror from a carnival auction.......... ignore him, he'll go away .......:) :)

15. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Where is this ?

MacRandom gibberish if you don't mind....:D
    I'm off to bed Charley - I'll leave you with the last word...but just for now. Take care.:) :) :)