What Do We Think About Climate Change

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Pericles, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

How about this?
    http://www.anxietycenter.com/climate/earth.htm

3 people like this.
  2. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

S'no market I know of.

Read the comments section.:D

http://eureferendum.blogspot.com/2008/02/selling-snake-oil.html

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

God Pericles can you cackle! "Got more rabb** than Sainsbury's, why don't you give it a rest!" to use the words of the old song!!

If not hows about short bursts - long drawn out monotalogues really do nothing for your cause - whatever that is!

4. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Safe, No worries.:D

You must have perused them though, in order to bother to comment. :D :D :D

Pericles

5. charmc

charmc Senior Member

He's posting articles, Safie. Means he read 'em, offers them for you to read. OK if you don't want to (or can't :p :p). No problem.

Some good data, though. Interesting that all the scientific research papers I've read on every other subject present a theory, give a lot of reproducible supporting data, and draw conclusions supporting the theory, usually including words like "data suggests" "observations thusfar support the theory", and "additional research will be necessary before drawing any firm conclusions", etc. I tend to think that those on either side of the global warming debate who claim they've got it all figured out are purely pissing in the wind.

6. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Charlie,

Whilst there's still wine in the bottle, I'll stay at my post, although the swimming pool will have its way with me in the morning. I gave my word to my doctor that I will swim over 3 miles per week and that nearly 250 lengths where I go. Slice of cake really, as it takes only 90 minutes to knock out 60 lengths. A perfect reason for a glass or two of fermented grape juice m'thinks!

I distrust all those who claim the planet in in peril. The planet is not in peril, but some forms of life, including we clever apes, may be wiped out by a cataclysmic event of some kind. We exist within an Interglacial Period and, in my opinion, we as a species, have done nothing to justify an intervention from non existent supernatural beings who would view us, as we view the snot on a Kleenex after a very satisfying blow. We came, we saw, we disappeared! The planet will continue spinning, on its axis, in its orbit, around the sun, for another 5 billion years. Humans will be long gone, having not survived in any significant numbers after the next Ice Age that has just started its return.

Still, that's no reason why we shouldn't party.:p :p :p :p :p :p

Regards,

Perry

7. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Way I see it. Its happened before, it will happen again. I cant see us having any affect one way or the other.

K9

8. charmc

charmc Senior Member

I have mixed feelings. I tend to believe that man's impact is small, but then I read about pelagic fish stocks depleted by drift nets 10 miles long, and huge rafts of plastics drifting in the oceans, and the millions of tons of toxics in combustion gases ... and I wonder and worry.

I read that a single volcanic eruption can put more toxic pollutants in the atmosphere than all manmade sources in a year. Elsewhere I read that manmade atmospherice pollutants are more than 100 times greater than volcanic. Then I read that both numbers are statistical estimates, developed by PhDs, and that both sides claim careful analysis and development of their models.

:( :( :confused: :confused:

9. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

I was the captain on an oceanographic research vessel for 5 years.

One day we fished out a glass fishing float that had been drifting around the Pacific for 20 years. Upon landing the fishing float on the deck the 2 chief scientists onboard took one look at all the goseneck barnacles and both in unison exclaimed "Oh what are those??!"

My response was. "You have to be f'ning kidding me right? They are only, about the most, abundant life in the ocean."

To which they said. "We spend all of our time at the University studing the ocean. We cant be expected to know about all the life out here."

Leaving I think I said something like. "You could look off a f'ing dock once in a while, at least then you would know what a gooseneck barnecle is!"

Thats a no shitter.

K9

10. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

there's non so blind as them as will not see!! methinks!!

11. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Amazing, isn't it?

I was asked once by a project engineer if one of their systems could be turned on its side to fit into an air shipping container. I said no because they used a multistage vertical pump with the motor on top. If turned on its side, all the weight would be cantilevered and the frame was not strong enough to take that stress. I got a blank look and a plaintive "What does cantilevered mean?"

Another time I was talking with the engineer in charge of design of a multimillion dollar municipal water treatment system. When I began asking questions about the technology they were recommending, she got very annoyed and said, "I don't know anything about water treatment. I'm the project manager." :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Humans have impacted the waters of the world more then anything else by a wide margin. The air is self cleaning, but the abilities of the oceans to support life has been dramatically harvested (not reduced). Fresh water in particular has been affected so dramatically that less then 1% is safe to drink and it's ability to support life drastically reduced.

Given 20 years of uninterrupted molestation, the fish populations would come back and the fresh water supply would clean up substantially, but this assumes responsibility of humans, which isn't likely in the near future.

Humans are more akin to a virus then an intelligent species, consuming, altering and destroying everything in sight until they've eating and toyed themselves out of house, home and food supply. A fitting result in the Petri dish of life, if you ask me.

After 100 years of non-human intervention, little would be recognizable of society. In 1000 years, no record that man ever existed would be visible without a shovel, including our cities, which would become the mystery burial mounds of our existence, found by some archeologist a few thousand millennium later, in the world's history.

1 person likes this.
  13. kach22i

kach22i Architect

This guy thinks like I do.:D

The Hovercraft and Global Climate Change
    http://www.jameshovercraft.co.uk/hover/mainpages/index.htm

14. charmc

charmc Senior Member

George,

Why am I reminded of that saying about the carpenter who sees all the world's problems as nails? :p :D

15. masalai

masalai masalai

Even GoogleEarth in its latest release, has recognised the probability of climate change by including an option to see what happens with sea level increases in 1m increments to 100m (using an imaginary timeline), so you can see where your home/neighbourhood sits when the "tide comes in" with the melting of all land borne ice.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.