What Do We Think About Climate Change

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Pericles, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Kiss my royal armer Esel...

3. wardd

wardd Senior Member

don't you mean royal dutch shell?

4. hoytedow

Toody smaht. Evaboddy els dum. Nooooooboddy edgeikated like Toody.

5. mark775

mark775 Guest

Come-on, Troy, You know we have a huge native population here and almost all of the spending is either something to do with them (and they're not paying taxes) or something to do with the military. You want to get into what Alaska oil has done and will do for the US, and its proximity to Japan and Russia have done for the US militarily?
    I think each person's share of the non-defence national debt is something like $60,000. I'll gladly pay my shares and say "don't give us any more!" Alaska is actually one of the most independent states of the union... and don't get me wrong! I am no "big time" Alaskan. It's just where I do some business, I like it here, and were I alone, I would retire here (It's not much of a place for women), so don't think I need to stick up for the place! Again, this is happening on the climate thread (on Boatdesign.net?!?!?) I'll stop now and let some people talk about SAGW.

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

just discovered one of my long time friends was a climate deniers
    oh what a world

I'll have her straightened out in no time tho

oh and I invited her come on over and read through some of our crap
    might get interesting if she joins the discussion
    she's kinda a firecracker you guys would love her

7. mark775

mark775 Guest

Send her up

8. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I've brought this subject up before. Don't get me wrong. As I've stated in the past, I have no particular problem with the fact that Alaska is 'a net drain on society.' There are explanations for it, which I not only understand but consider to be valid and reasonable.

What I object to is the steady parade of Alaskans who come online (particularly on gun forums) to boast about their frontier-style self-reliance, and carry on about how they're tired of paying California's way and bailing us out -- when in reality, Californians are paying to keep Alaska afloat instead.

9. mark775

mark775 Guest

That's not true! - You are forgetting the oil part of the equation! You are forgetting the defense part of the equation!
    Are you gonna' call Guamians or Samoans "net drains on society", too, even though we don't do much for them at all but have military bases there? We spend billions on those military bases - it's the same thing. You really should come to Alaska one day. The road system is miniscule, the transportation (ferries) is State, The road sysytem is pretty much from one military base to another with some state-built roads in between. To get matching funds for a hwy project recently, I guess there is a Fed law that there has to be bike paths now, seperated from the hwy by a safety zone. So, several miles of road was cut over one hundred fifty miles from the nearest house with a bike path alongside meandering through the trees! Were it I, I wouldn't take the money. I wish the state had seceded from the union when the AIP, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_Independence_Party , was pushing that hard about fifteen years ago. You people have made such a mess of things and its going to get worse.

10. hoytedow

Have her read this thread.

All your arguments are here.

Yeah, that will work.:rolleyes:

:p:p:p

11. hoytedow

Guamians and Samoans have probably done more for us than we have for them, on balance. There was a certain George Tweed of the USN for whom many Guamians, or Chamorros, gave their lives keeping him out of Japaneses hands. Samoans make the Pelosi's wealthy without the benefit of a minimum wage(conflict of interest by Pelosi as a lawmaker).

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

she's still seething over my having disagreed with her on her view that the magnetic pole shift is causing the ice caps to melt

I'm completely baffled how in the world the magnetic shift could effect ice at the poles but oh did I ever set her off by suggesting that the only way that could happen was if there was some reduction in its strength that consequently effected total solar iradiance
    which it hasn't based on direct measurements of solar iradiance, magnetic field strength and the last 100 years or so of ice loss. There is no correlation. She went ballistic, and likely will again if she actually gets on here and reads this.

I"d really never seen her freak before but wow
    ya shoulda been a fly on the wall

13. hoytedow

Or, a circle fly, more like.

14. hoytedow

Obama and the Circle Flies
    A cowboy from Texas attends a social function where Barack Obama is trying to gather more support for NASA. Once he discovers the cowboy is from President Bush’s home area, he starts to belittle him by talking in a southern drawl and single syllable words.

As he was doing that, he kept swatting at some flies that were buzzing around his head. The cowboy says, “Y’all havin’ some problem with them circle flies?”

Obama stopped talking and said, “Well, yes, if that’s what they’re called, but I’ve never heard of circle flies.”

“Well Sir,” the cowboy replies, “circle flies hang around ranches. They’re called circle flies because they’re almost always found circling around the back end of a horse.”

“Oh,” Obama replies as he goes back to rambling. But, a moment later he stops and bluntly asks, “Are you calling me a horse’s ***?”
    “No, Sir,” the cowboy replies, “I have too much respect for the citizens of this country to call their President a horse’s ***.”

“That’s a good thing,” Obama responds and begins rambling on once more.

After a long pause, the cowboy, in his best Texas drawl says, “Hard to fool them flies, though.”

Originally told on another site about health care but its all BS anyway.

15. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Check mate.

I think Troy proves a valid point here. Just as we were saying some people were "net drains on society" because they don't pay income taxes that are as high as others, or possibly no income taxes at all due to being poor, we see this factual information about Alaska.

A direct comparison to the working poor can be made with the state of Alaska:

The working poor pay a tiny bit if taxes, if any at all, yet are entitled to receive all the same benefits a "more wealthy" person does.

Same story with Alaska as a state.

Mark argues that Alaska is a net producer because it has natural resources. Guess what? The working poor are also net producers because they are putting resources (labor) into society for a very *very* cheap rate. Labor and oil are both commodities that add to society's overall production or GDP.

I like many of your posts, Mark, but I think this time Troy really nailed it. Oil and labor are both resources. Both Alaska and the working poor are "welfare cases" when it comes to tax revenue, but both add something to the economy and society that is beneficial: Alaska adds cheap oil. The working poor add cheap labor.

The similarities are striking.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.