What Do We Think About Climate Change

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Pericles, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark775

mark775 Guest

Holy Crap! - That was two hours of my life. CYA.

2. wardd

wardd Senior Member

wonders if mark can say ireland

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well here's the debt ratio as a percentage of GDP

[​IMG]

and the congressional budget office ( CBO ) says its only going to get worse

and they are not alone in there assessment of the circumstances

In a nut shell there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Not playing biz as usual. The strong family values your suggesting are a great idea, but they don't put food on the table, nor do they provide a job were there was none before. Manufacturing is gone and its gone because the mom pop shops cant compete with products shipped in from China. Thats not likely to change anytime soon either. Invent something simply doesn't cut it anymore. Those truly world shaking inventions are few and far between. Work harder also simply doesn't work. If I remember it was you who was telling us how the American worker is the most productive in the world, it wont help, if I can hire ten guys for one dollar each or one guy for ten, the odds are against that lone solder.

My solution is to introvert, the concept of free trade is a dismal failure, its concentrated wealth to a degree unheard of before and its left millions jobless in what amounts to the second great depression. Its also left a legacy of debt in this country that is fast approaching insolvency. Our leaders appear ready to jump ship at any moment, what country will your favorite politician retire to is about the only remaining question.

The facts are incontrovertible, the middle class got fired and replaced with cheap foriegn labor. The economy went to **** and the gubment ( as you yourself said ) doesn't have a clue. So we are on our own. Lets just hope it doesn't break down to every man for himself. I'd prefer to see some semblance of society survive the coming storm, a storm brought on by unbounded greed and crooked politicians allowing the multinationals a free hand through bribery.

A major shift in policy is whats needed and fast. We need to use every asset at our disposal to even begin to dig our way out of this mess. Personally I'd start by disbanding the fed and not paying them a dime for what amounts to the right to print money. Its a crock, hefty chunk of the debt done. Next on the list is free trade. Its not free and even if it was we couldn't afford to be giving anything away; bring back the tariff system with a vengeance. Reduces transportation and employs the folks back at home. Third on my hit parade is China, new law, trade surplus must be used to buy trade items. End the bond market and stop taking loans on govt debt which brings me to big number four

No deficit spending, easily done as its been done in the past, cut govt across the board, every agency by 25% to start. Less people working more efficiently right, ok then lets start with the gubment. They can set an example for the rest of us to follow just as they should have been all along

and lastly
    vote Boston for president
    I'd turn this place around faster than your sister on prom night

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

bla bla goodnight.

5. mark775

mark775 Guest

"Faster than my sister on prom night?" - Lol.
    There is a problem with spending more than we make, Bos. That's the gist. We're not going to get those jobs back. We have to make new ones. In the mean time, yes, we ahve to quit spending other's money. You can't cut spending wantonly, though.
    At this stage, I'd be in favor of a little protectionism, too, but China already holds a fair amount of our debt - have to tread lightly there...
    It'll be about the family, neighbors, and learning to take care of yourself. The cities are are going to be a hell on Earth if this thing comes down. Do we believe Glen Beck yet? Balanced budget? I hope it's not a pipe dream. You still have a lot of people that think spending is the answer.

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

What amazes me is that anyone thought borrowing your way out of debt was going to work, it hasn't and we're worse off today than two years ago because of it. The whole plan was one big fat mistake that only put the postponed the issue and makes it even more difficult to deal with in the long run.

I'm not seeing how to create jobs here unless we embrace the alternative energies industry and begin to produce the next generation technologies right here at home. What we need is start ups operating on the cooperative business model that plan on staying local, or selling franchises around the country. Its not going to be easy though and its going to be a long slow process.

Deal is no mater how you slice it nobody here, can compete with a 50C a day worker over there. We either level the playing field or we level our pay scale with those of the third world. Its pretty much that simple. Free trade ain't free, its costing the American economy a bundle.

7. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  8. mark775

mark775 Guest

Okay, but first should I kill myself?
    Good Grief!

9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

When 'the board' pays a CEO more money, it most certainly does not come out of their pockets; they're generally part of the merry band of thieves who are scratching each other's backs. It comes out of the pockets of the shareholders (many of whom are working-class people with 401k's), and leaves less money available to pay the workers who actually produce the goods and services that make money for the company.

It absolutely amazes me that so many Americans have been brainwashed into believing a CEO who makes more every workday than the average worker under him earns in a year deserves every penny of it -- while those same workers are looked upon with contempt, for daring to want an honest day's wages for an honest day's work.

When did it become unpatriotic and un-American for a working man to be able to afford the mortgage payments on a 3-bedroom tract house, drive a good pickup, let the old lady drive a decent car to work (because he can't afford to have her stay home and take care of the kids, like his mother did), park an outboard boat in the driveway, and save up a little to help his kids through college?

Why don't the people who want American workers to settle for third-world wages expect American CEO's to settle for what CEO's in the rest of the world make? CEO's at Japan's top 100 companies earn an average of around $1.5 million a year, compared with $13.3 million for comparable American CEO's. Does anyone really believe that American executives are worth nine times as much as their Japanese counterparts? Are they nine times smarter? Do they work nine times as hard? Are their companies nine times as successful?

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Lubber
    that article seemed a bit over the top so I checked a few things
    150 banks in one year is nothing
    9000 banks failed in the decade of the 30's
    that ones easily verifiable

yes things are bleak but I'm going to remain confident that I can get on the water before the **** hits the fan and make something happen for a nice retirement at sea

I've been exploring options my aesthetic tastes would typically not and I could go ugly cheaper than I could go in style. Doesn't have to be that much uglier but its a compromise. I need the world to hold together just another few years. Wish me luck

B

11. mark775

mark775 Guest

Shareholders vote once a year to elect a board of directors (and from among the stockholders, typically). The CEO can be one of those board members but he is also reportable directly to the board members and indirectly to the shareholders. An average shareholder may not have enough of a voting block anymore to influence the outcome of an election himself but are you saying these fat cats just sit up there and **** the shareholders and they do nothing about it? Come on. Those board members want to make money, too and are the shareholder's representatives. If they are stealing, then that is embezzlement and a felony. If they are doing a poor job, they will be voted out. Are you seriously saying you know of an example where the board and CEO were cheating that hasn't been prosecuted?
    Yes, I believe that there are a lot of people that should get off their ***.
    No, you did not absorb anything I wrote but points to argue -"the working man" "band of theives", etc. Jeez, you've got the class envy thing, and bad!

http://www.boardmember.com/case-against-stock-ownership-requirements.aspx
    Read for another perspective.

12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

You routinely dump on blue collar wage earners, day in and day out. But if someone dares to even hint that management executives might not be little tin gods, you accuse them of class warfare.

I notice you didn't address a single point I made; you just generically accused me of 'class envy.' When did defending the working class I'm a part of, from people who routinely try to **** it for their own benefit, become simply a case of 'envy'?:rolleyes:

13. mark775

mark775 Guest

Workers work. Management rapes? Come on Troy, you're being a union rep!

14. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Boston,

Good luck mate....

15. wardd

wardd Senior Member

no one has answered my question of what is money and why does it exist and what happens to an economy when a disproportionate percentage of it is allowed to accumulate in a very few hands.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.