What Do We Think About Climate Change

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Pericles, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

and that is exactly the problem
    that the disinformation campaign lacking any ability to refute the science has coupled the issue with the typical socio-political corruption.

the issue is entirely environmental and the solution entirely economic. Politics is a leach sucking at our future, The profitable solution will be the successful one and that will end up being the use of renewable fuels

2. wardd

wardd Senior Member

the r's deal with the world out of fear, the dems out of optimism

3. mark775

mark775 Guest

First, I see that I forgot to post the article about swedes that makes a few posts back make sense... I'll see if I can find it. - There it is: http://mises.org/daily/2855
    Second, that: "Are they the same guy?" is seriously-er funny!
    Third, Gonzo is on a roll and making sense of everything he says lately.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Never trust a guy in a bow-tie.

5. hoytedow

Hah! What a joke!:rolleyes:

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

7. mark775

mark775 Guest

"...as a necessity for an arid, resource-poor nation. Israel, which now depends almost entirely for its energy on imported coal and natural gas, has set a goal to have 10 percent of its electricity generated by alternative means by 2020
    Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu presented the plan as a security necessity.
    "I view this as a national goal of the highest importance because the addiction to oil has led to the Western world being dependent on the oil-producing countries and harms the standing and security of the state of Israel," he said.
    He didn't say anything about trading corn subsidies for votes or spreading one-world government thru AGW hysteria, either.
    Netanyahu for US president!

8. hoytedow

He'd have my vote(in Israel) where I can't vote unless I(shudder) sneak in.

9. mark775

mark775 Guest

The guy is awesome.

10. hoytedow

Yeah, he is. I'm a long-time fan.

11. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

He's a little late; Israel struck natural gas big-time in 2010, off its coast. There are predictions it will become a net energy exporter, instead of a major importer, over the next few years. It'll be interesting to see how the country becoming self-sufficient in energy affects the balance of power in the Middle East.

It was Gold Meir who supposedly said, "Moses dragged us through the desert for 40 years to bring us to the one place in the Middle East where there was no oil." That lack of energy has been a major factor in the country's existence and policies from day one.

12. wardd

wardd Senior Member

isreal still has to face up to a demographics and water problem

13. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Complete non sequitur. The quote doesn't mention how he plans to achieve his goal, but I'm willing to bet it involves spending some good old government money. What else is he going to do... just order Israel's private companies to produce alternative energy or else?

14. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Complete non sequitur. The quote doesn't mention how he plans to achieve his goal, but I'm willing to bet it involves spending some good old government money. What else is he going to do... just order Israel's private companies to produce alternative energy or else?

edit: Aha. Here we go: from from Netanyahu's speech to the President's Conference, 20 October 2009.

What I propose to do today is to establish a nation commission of scientists, engineers, business and government people to set a goal that within ten years, we'll have a practical, clean, efficient substitute for oil. I think it's possible. I think we can make the impossible possible.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have never been accused of being a disciple of government intervention. However, sometimes the private market simply cannot create the critical mass of activities needed to make such a big change. Sometimes it needs a push and support from the government.

Finding an alternative to oil is a critical matter for the State of Israel must deal with – with regard to geopolitics, security concerns, environmental concerns, to secure the future and to change the world's order of priorities.

Therefore, I repeat my announcement that I am going to establish a national commission comprised of scientists, manufacturers, engineers, businesspeople and government officials, with the goal of formulating a practical plan for efficient development in technologies and engineering in order to replace fossil fuels within the decade. I ask the minds and talents who are here, and around the world, to help.

http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Governmen...etanyahu_President_Conference_20-Oct-2009.htm

The reason he didn't mention corn subsidies is because they don't grow enough to bother with....:p

15. hoytedow

bla bla bla bla

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.