What Boat is This?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by RWJData, Jun 2, 2014.

1. RWJData

RWJData Junior Member

Hi Everyone, I am new to your Forums, and have a teaser for you....I have purchased a Project Boat circa mid 1960's vintage.
    I would like to know who built it, or its Brand.

The Hull is in fabulous condition and just needs a new transom and floor, and Power head.

The Stringers(4 of them) in the Hull are fully foam cored Fibreglass and after taking core samples it is in great Condition.

I would like to find out which Brand it is, can you help please.

Cheers
    RWJData

Attached Files:

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

No ID plate on it ? I can't say it looks familiar. At a wild guess, it might be an early Seafarer 13 footer ?

3. RWJData

RWJData Junior Member

No Plate! It has been altered from its original format, but I am surprised at the Strong Internal Structure, with the four solid foam filled Stringers, I can only assume it has been originally built as a Ski Boat! I will take some photos of the Stringers and include in the next day or so! Work Commitments!
    Cheers

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

5. RWJData

RWJData Junior Member

Ike, thank you for your input....Sadly, I have already been down every Brand Name in Fiberglassics & Glassics Web Pages. I haven't found any Image on any Google or related page that comes close to this Hull. This makes the search even more interesting!
    Your further thoughts would be welcome.
    Cheers

6. Mr Efficiency

Probably one of the early NSW builders, but I can't pick it, not a Pongrass or Steber by appearances.

7. RWJData

RWJData Junior Member

Hi Mr E.
    I have checked out both of these Brands and still no avail....I did find one photo of one of these online, but there was no link to any web page.....Maybe someone might recognise it from this photo......see attached.
    I have a day off work tomorrow, so I will take some more photos and post again.
    Thanks for your retained interest.
    Cheers

Well, I got into it today, removed the Motor, cut off the Motor Well, and removed all the rotten timber in the Transom. I have added an extra photo of the Four Stringers, which are so very Solid.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  8. Mr Efficiency

See that boat is called "top cat", there was a make of boat in NSW called Sport Cat or Sports Cat, but they were not catamarans ! Pretty confusing I know.

9. RWJData

RWJData Junior Member

Hi Again Everyone,
    It's been a while since my last post.....Work etc. But I have replaced the Transom and floor in this beauty, but I have another question for you well learned boaties.

I want to reduce weight in this old girl, and am considering removing the cap (Deck) and converting the boat into a simple Dinghy layout.......By removing the deck, I am sure it will be a lot lighter, and I can run with a lower power unit....

The deck cap is over 1/4" thick and in some places over 5/16th inch, which is quite a solid top. The hull is in superb nick, so it would translate well into a dinghy, with a simple gunnel. Freeboard at the transom is 18", and I will fit a Foam Encased Collar, for additonal Buoyancy.

What say you guys?

Cheers for now.

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The basic issue with these era boats is the overly heavy laminate they have. If you want to lighten her up, the cap will be some of it, but a pretty small margin in the overall picture. What you could have done is that a laminate "peeler" to the inside of the hull, stripping away half to 3/4's of the existing laminate. Of course this would be replaced with directional laminates, replacing the bulky and thick chopper gun job that was done back then. She'd be lighter and stronger than the original, but she'd have all her patina of the original gelcoat. This a terrible job and a lot of work, so it's reserved for something special, to justify the effort and materials.

Your other thread will handle you proposed changes. Remember to return the lost stiffness and strength, once the cap is removed with light but well arranged reinforcements.

11. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Google a site called the board. It is a classic aussie speed boat forum. They will know what it is.

12. RWJData

RWJData Junior Member

Insurance Claim

Hi All
    Merry Xmas.

I am back on this thread because the Boat above, that i have been working on has now been hit by a Car, thrown off the trailer and is subject to an Insurance Claim.

Question: The Insurer does not have processes in place to deal with my claim!
    They have left it to me to get two quotes and for the Insurer to assess/review my claim for payment! What is the best way for me to deal with them?

I have had to remove the Boat and Trailer from my property, at my expense. They are being held in a towie's yard until boat repairers from Holidays.

Can anyone recommend a Boat and Trailer Assessor who can handle this claim for me?

The Insurance Co was told by their client, that my old boat and trailer is rubbish and should be sent to the tip.
    It is a vintage Boat circa 1967, and it is solid. I have put New Transom and floor in it already.

The trailer is rusty, but I do not want it registered, as it will be used on a private property to launch into the canal behind the house. The Spare parts only cost over $800 before any labour to fix.
    How can I get proper settlement in this case?

Your advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers

13. Mr Efficiency

One man's rubbish is another man's treasure ? Tell 'em they're dreamin' ! This is a job for Dennis Denuto !

14. RWJData

RWJData Junior Member

Many Thanks

I always hold your opinions in high regard.

Cheers

15. Mr Efficiency

In other words, talk to a solicitor, one consultation should be enough to tell you where you stand.