US Navy: There are several of us trying to put the crazies back in the box

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, May 16, 2007.

1. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Nearest police station was 5 miles from where I came from & gas is getting outragious $$$ here. Just a precaution.

Tim

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

Frosty NOONE is as calm as moi!! Timbo(who said he was going to bed) said the guy was revving his Ram, well lotsa Rams have the Cummins option, do you see now?

3. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Sounded like he may have had a V-10. Whatever it was it had more gusto than my "94" Cougar with its 3.8L V-6.

Tim

1 person likes this.
  4. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Some random thoughts:

While serving in the Army, I discovered that I was an expert marksman with many diffferent weapons. I was assigned to form and train a shooting team on short notice, and we placed 5th in an All-European competition. After I left the service I decided, for personal reasons, not to own a gun. Part of that decision was a product of violence I had seen. I have been in several situations since in which I and loved ones were threatened with violence by ********* with weapons. I succeeded in stopping the attackers each time by convincing them that their lives would be better if they left. I would not hesitate to use a weapon if it came to that. My decision not to own a gun is personal to me, and I have no problem with those who do own guns, so long as they are good citizens and properly trained. What longliner did to help his friend was the right thing, in my opinion, as was Tim's decision to have a weapon ready when there began to be some possibility of a threat. I understand those who are opposed to guns. They have their right to their opinion, although I don't agree that all gun ownership should be banned.

The US Constitution mentioned the raising of militias, but recognized the right of citizens to bear arms as a separate element. The US Consitution established a structure of government in part designed to prevent abuses that were rampant in Europe in the years preceding American independence. Among those were the prohibition of owning arms by "subject peoples", such as Scots, Irish, and Basques, who were then subject to wholesale abuse by the dominant government; and the establishment of state religions, which almost always led to government sanctioned persecution of every poor sod who went to a different church. True, most of our Founding Fathers were Christians and believed that moral principles were ordained by God ... but they had the good sense to declare that there would be no official state religion, Christian or otherwise. I believe in registration, background checks and mandatory training, but I believe in the fundamental right of a citizen to own a gun.

It may be a cliche, but it is also a fact: guns don't kill people, people kill people. Yes, the US has a gun homicide rate 7 times higher than the next highest of the "civilized" nations. But equating that to legal gun ownership is simplistic ... and wrong. Switzerland, Israel, and Finland, for example, have a much higher percentage of gun ownership than the US, with automatic weapons legal in at least Switzerland and Israel, yet the gun homicide rates are much lower. A thoroughly documented and peer-reviewed study of murder rates and gun ownership in the US over a recent 20 year period revealed that during a time that firearms ownership increased by 73% and handgun ownership increased by 111%, gun related homicides actually declined by 9%. Chicago enacted one of the strictest gun laws ever in 1982, requiring wholesale turn ins of guns and severe limitations on gun permits. Oddly, murder rates had declined in the 3 years prior to 1982, and by 1987 they began to increase again. Areas of the US with the highest rates of legal gun ownership have lower gun homicide rates, while Washington DC, which has the lowest rate of legal gun ownership of any US city, has one of the highest gun homicide rates.

I stated in an earlier post that I believe firmly that the US has a unique problem with violence, caused by a number of factors, including widespread drug use and sales, gang cultures that glorify guns and murder, politicians and court officers who will not enforce the very strong laws our country has against illegal gun ownership and use of a gun as part of any other crime, and others. There is a spreading moral decay in my country that saddens and sickens me. Part of the reason we have poor leaders is that too many citizens are lazy and selfish. Anyone who can read has the ability to think about and research issues that are important to society, and to discuss them with others. That is what is required for citizens to move past stupid TV ads and evaluate political candidates based on how they might approach the serious issues facing us. That takes effort and work, however, and too many of us aren't willing to make the effort, so we get lousy "leaders". Lousy "leaders" who lack the guts to face up to the harsh social and economic realities and the measures needed to solve our problems are responsible for allowing criminals to exist with little fear of serious penalties. It hurts me to say that my wonderful country has serious problems and is being weakened from within. There are some real and obvious causes for this situation, but legal gun ownership is not one of them.

3 people like this.
  5. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

well spoken charley..lets look at switzerland just for an example ..they have an economy based on thier own needs ,,they dont pay out zillions to the world ,,they take care of thier own workers,and have a medical system we can only dream about ,,thier television is not stuffed with crap glorifing gang violence and drug use ,,thier children are not looking up to role models like hilton and the rest of hollywoods drunks and drug users ,,,,not to mention rappers ,,they dont have corperate leaders stealing them blind and walking free,,,,they dont have nafta,,,with that said ,,if they had a beech ,I would be there,longliner

1 person likes this.
  6. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

Sort of on the subject. An "interesting" thing occured here in Australia just the other day in that a bloke was robbed and was disabled by the robbers who zapped him with a Tazar. Better then lethal force I agree but it just shows how crims will always be crims. Our legitimate gun owners were forced to hand in their licensed and registered firearms. To "reduce the guns in the population". Now crims have Tasers which the general population never had access to and even our own police are only just getting them now.
    Punishing the law abiding gun owner achieves nothing.
    However i still stand my my previous comment that with the aggression etc and road rage incidents becoming more frequent over here I am glad not everyone carries Glock in the glovebox.

Mychael

7. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

dunno John, bloody charged me 35 euros to use their mo ways for 1 hour, BUT you a re dead right, TV violence begats real life violence

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Holy ****, I dont believe it. I was going to say that some time back but thought you gun guys would have laughed me off the forum.

I strongly beleve this violent crap coming out of USA is a big problem.

9. charmc

charmc Senior Member

90% of the movies and TV shows coming out of the US today are 100% crap. Worse, perpetual images of violence have been proven to desensitize people to violence ... kids and "adults" aren't bothered or offended by it. Add to that the images supporting violence to women .... disgusting. :mad:

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Everybody knows how toshoot someone through a pillow so as not to make a noise .

Everbody knows how to run a car over the cliff, by putting it in gear.

Everybody knows how to credit card a door lock, or wipe clean the scene of the crime.

Monkey see, monkey do.

11. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

i see the people with little life have bin dokkin you pts ole son

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Just before the G8 summit the Rusians are not happy with USA --USA is not happy with Russia.

40 years of improvements and Bush just puts us back in the cold war.

Wouldnt it be true to say that the USA, if could be scraped off the planet like the burn off toast. The place would be better off.

There would be less polution , less wars, less violent TV. you name it.

I mean would you miss it -- would you?

Christ,-- has there ever been a country that just played war.

13. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

As a citizen & one being scraped, if I maintained an awarness of some sort, I would sure as Hell miss it.

Not to mention our forum would be gone!

Tim

14. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Jack,

That one's a bit inaccurate, IMHO. It takes two to tango, and Mr Putin has demonstrated that he is no bumbling amateur in the aggression department. He is determined to restore Russia to superpower status, and doesn't mind stepping on any and all nearby toes in the process.

15. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Frosty/jack,

Dammit, I'm all set to lay into you on this one ... the majority of the countries of the world have been merrily killing off each other's and/or their own population without any help from the US. I'm all ready to give it to you ...

Then I reread the part about pollution and violent TV.

OK, that's a good point... Accurate, even... Not exaggerated....

Dammit, I can't argue against that.

But you'd miss us.