Texas Size KILL ZONE

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by brian eiland, Nov 8, 2005.

1. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

at one time whales could communicate to each other across the world,,,,then came outboard motors,,,,and supertankers ,,and battleships,and fishing fleets,,,,,yet they beeched because of parisites in thier brain,,,or blood ,,,they still do,,,mankind has detonated atomic boms in the sea ,for decades,,after these explosions ,,,do whales beech?,,,nuke subs have been useing this technology for decades,,as a matter of fact all subs use low freq,have since the first sub ,,,,its the only way to communicate,from underwater.why the blame now ,,,and I might add ,,what we know today ,,,,has been pass practice for 20 yrs or more,,just kept quiet until now,,,,,longliner

2. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

Sound attenuation is not dependent on frequency. It's an energy equation, and has nothing to do with either the frequency of the wave or the medium through which it transfers. If you double the radius, you octuple the surface area of the wave, thus the power per square meter of the wave front is decreased. It's high school physics. You're confusing power with signal to noise ratio.

The rest of your post is a whole lot of nothing. Your claim that sonar causes the bends is apparently based on musings of three guys in a magazine; but not any actual tests.

Then you base your rants against sonar on the fact that some guy documented underwater explosions causing damage to animals. How loud were these explosions? Were there any non-sonic effects from these explosions? Hydraulic displacement, perhaps? But Texas-sized kill zones from loud speakers? Please. If that were true, then all those underwater atomic tests should have killed the whole ocean.

I'm sorry. 240 dB is loud, but you environmentalists take too much out of context and stridently scream gloom and doom based on heresay and supposition. I just don't trust you - too much of your stand is based on a political agenda and not enough on hard science.

Let me ask you something. Has anyone taken a couple of dophins and run tests in a lab? If what you claim has any truth to it at all, it will benefit the species as a whole if you could prove these effects in a laboratory setting, even if it cost the lives of a few whales. After all, the navy (as well as the rest of the military) is out there doing exactly that - putting their lives on the line so that you and I can live free; and have been doing that for centuries.

Whatever you think about their activities, the fact is, the military are willing to put their asses on the line for the rest of us. Therefore, when it comes down to he said/she said, I'm going to go with the group who have proved time after time that they have my best interests at heart; and in this current situation, that's the navy and not you.