Texas Size KILL ZONE

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by brian eiland, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Let's assume that what George Bush claims might just be true: 'I'm doing the work of God..."
    How will he explain at the 'second coming' the plight of Jesus standing on the stage clutching a handfull of loaves... but no more fishes... :confused:

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I suggest you watch the movie "Soylent Green" again. When the oceans died, they started eating people.:eek:

Are you tasty?:D

[​IMG]

Remember this?
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?p=44341

3. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I think I am surrounded with children.

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

They're nice to eat too, Cyclops... But don't microwave... :D

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

When I read this earlier I could of swore it said chickens.:confused:

Fish, Soylent Green and chicken..............I was getting hungry.:D

6. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Don't think Brian wouldn't like it! Getting like his past masters - tooooo serious! Incidentaly Brian I spent several years (double figures) in a real navy learning how to kill nuclear submarines; you're right we didn't need this gear to sort yours out!:) ..... whamo every time! but IF it had been for real and we had that gear we would have reduced the 'butchers bill' with a quick shot! (So it would have been whale soup that glowed in the dark, but according to you it would be dead anyway!

7. wdnboatbuilder

wdnboatbuilder Senior Member

well I am an american and i BELIEVE IN AMERICA, but our goverment goes a little overboard ( pardon the pun). As long as there are waco's in the world the world will call upon the USA to rescue them. And if the world would defend themselves or even just plain work and use some enginuity, they could pull themselves out of any situation just like us americans. Now as far as the fish kill, yes we should spend OUR money at home not in somebody elses country ( whether it be pulling them out of debt or financing their security) to do what we can to help the enviroment.

8. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

What you smoking these days, Wdnboatbuilder. Sounds powerful stuff.
    But to bring you down to earth...Have you checked your national debt recently ? Is Vietnam a forgotten memory, or Afghanistan, or Iraq ? Who were you 'rescuing' there ? And have you succeeded ? But don't worry, once again the Aussies will cover your arse. :mad:

9. wdnboatbuilder

and we ars still defending all of those and no aussie ever covered my arse. may not be sure did you not pull out? and the olny thing smokin is the american gun. yes we are some powerful stuff. I never said I support GW but I do support our troops. Just the southern redneck coming out.

10. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

LFA sonar

Back to the original discussion....

Evidence of the harm such a barrage of sound can do began to surface in March 2000, when whales of four different species stranded themselves on beaches in the Bahamas after a U.S. Navy battle group used active sonar in the area. Investigators found that the whales were bleeding internally around their brains and ears. Although the Navy initially denied responsibility, the government's investigation established with virtual certainty that the strandings were caused by its use of active sonar. Since the incident, the area's population of Cuvier's beaked whales has all but disappeared, leading researchers to conclude that they either abandoned their habitat or died at sea.

The Bahamas, it turned out, was only the tip of an iceberg. Additional mass strandings and deaths associated with military activities and active sonar have occurred in Madeira (2000), Greece (1996), the U.S. Virgin Islands (1998, 1999), the Canary Islands (1985, 1988, 1989, 2002, 2004), the northwest coast of the United States (2003) and coastal waters off North Carolina (2005). And in July 2004 researchers uncovered an extraordinary concentration of whale strandings near Yokosuka, a major U.S. Navy base off the Pacific coast of Japan. The Navy's active sonar program appears to be responsible for many more whale strandings than had previously been imagined.

How does active sonar harm whales? According to a report in the scientific journal Nature, animals that came ashore during one mass stranding had developed large emboli, or bubbles, in their organ tissue. The report suggested that the animals had suffered from something akin to a severe case of "the bends" -- the illness that can kill scuba divers who surface too quickly from deep water. The study supports what many scientists have long suspected: that the whales stranded on shore are only the most visible symptom of a problem affecting much larger numbers of marine life
    Beyond marine mammals, a huge number of other marine species may be threatened by the use of LFA sonar. Experiments have shown that an increase in underwater noise may impair growth and reproduction in a variety of marine animals, such as shrimp, that are important sources of food for many marine mammals. Low frequency noise may also cause changes in the distribution of other species, such as sharks. And at least one scientist has concluded that LFA could pose a threat to sea turtles and to any fish with a swim bladder.

Given the tremendous risks associated with LFA, you might think the Navy would take a hard and honest look at the environmental impacts of the technology and develop ways to mitigate that impact before using LFA widely. But, in fact, the Navy has repeatedly refused to do that, denying repeated requests for information on Navy programs that use LFA and conducting cursory environmental reviews that raise more questions about LFA than they answer. Even more surprisingly, recent statements by top Navy officials suggest that there may be passive sonar alternatives to LFA sonar that could deliver the same amount of security with far less risk to ocean wildlife.

11. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Truce, Wdnboatbuilder. Without it meaning to sound like a cliche, your troops are among the best. No ********. Second only to the Scots. But of course they are 'real' people doing their job - not political animals - and that's what counts. ;)

12. wdnboatbuilder

Agreed Bergalia, you win. But what the hell am I suppose to do about the fish kill. The state I live in the govner is that dumb *** presidents brother and like he's going to listen.I do believe Brian lives in Annapolis and that is the navy. I understand what Brian is saying and I agree But I guess I'll stick to dipping for shrimp and digging for clams and fishing in the bays. pretty shollow there and no sub will hidden there, hell most boats don't make it there. So Brain unless you come up with a solution then Brother, we eat shrimp and clams.

13. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Wrong again, Bruce. Between you and I it's an honourable draw, because let's face it, a man with such a Scottish name as Bruce can't be all bad...
    Yours aye, Max (aka bergalia) ;)

14. wdnboatbuilder

Fair enough, We should stick to boats and not politics. which is really what the tread is all about in the first place. Max you can't be a bad guy either, your builder/designer of boats and I could probably learn alot from you, I'm sure.

15. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

[quote = bergalia] let's face it, a man with such a Scottish name as Bruce can't be all bad... Yours aye, Max (aka bergalia)

Hey Bruce - let's quit this forum and start our own mutual appreciation version... :D