Tasmanian Wooden Boat Festival

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Willallison, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

A couple of people expressed some concern to me that the Tasmanian Wooden Boat Festival was in danger of faltering due to the high cost of putting it on.

For those interested, you'll be pleased to know that the Tasmanian government, in a rare moment of funding generosity to anything but football, has come to the party and tipped in a few $ to ensure its future.

http://www.australianwoodenboatfestival.com.au/html/about.html

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Good news Will. I just knew there had to be a spark of decency in the odd politician. It also retains my excuse for the annual trip south.

3. Willallison

Hang on a minute.... the festival is only bi-annual....hope the wife doesn't find out what you've been up to every other year!;)

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

My weak attempt at a joke Will. In fact we go 'down' as often as possible. The wife and girls love Tasmania for the walking, fishing and scenery. My better half - although Chinese by birth - still feels homesick at times for the Scottish Highlands. (And I hate to admit it - she also loves haggis...)

5. Willallison

Eww!!

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

I think arrrggghhhhhh.....is more appropriate Will.

7. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Max you mean she gets first chance at the wee timerous beastie - the mind boggles - 'sweet and sour haggis' anyone? or 'haggis and fried rice' not really the same as haggis and neeps is it?

Whilst on the subject was at a wee gathering of traditional (maybe we shouldna use that word?) gathering of food sellers and I noticed a stall selling varii Scots fodder including, wold you believe 'Vegiterian Haggis!' the mind boggles! (no glasgie caviar tho')

8. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

We're in danger of trespassing on the 'Drivel' thread here 'Rus....but the good wife arrived in Scotland at the tender age of 16 to study nursing in Edinburgh - and instantly absorbed the 'Scots' culture (as only a visitor can) to the extent where my old mum (a professional cook for 'The Big House') admitted that my wife made better porage, mince 'n tatties, and stovies than she could produce.
    My biggest worry will be when I find her whipping up a recipe for 'Jock Suey'...
    As a final note - there is/was a food stall on Aberdeen harbour called: 'The Frying Scotsman....'

9. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

canna mind that one Max, musta moved afore I got there in the late 70's (that's 19 not 18 seventies by the way! Only a mere slip of a loon!

Oh and the wifey being a Pompey quine thinks you have tae put sugar on porridge - puir sad wee girlie!)

10. Poida

Poida Senior Member

I clicked on the link you provided Willi and it seems that the festival is already over. In January so it seems. So the government is funding something that has finished. Bugger too late what do we do with the money now, lets have a party.

Poida

11. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

**Sorry Will, a bit of a diversion from the original thread...

I'm intrigued Walrus - where did you pick up the Aberdonian 'speak' - 'quine'; 'loon', and the 'ie' at the end of words ?

You'll be using 'uxters', 'puddocks', 'fud', and 'totso' next....:confused:

12. Willallison

It's for the next one Poida! It's a biannual event.

13. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Nice info, Will. Would love to have the opportunity of going there, but I'm afraid.....:(

14. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Bugger that Will not going to any biannual event I'm purely hetrosexual. Had a Doctor put his probe up my annual once, not a good experience.

Poida

15. Willallison

Hmm - it's my 40th on Friday. Thought I should buy myself a visit to the digit doctor as a present. Not something I'm looking fwd to either:(

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.