Still get amazed.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Mychael, May 5, 2007.

1. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yes and some one should tell the Americans that they did not get the Enigma machine as in the film U571.

Ok there is a small paragraph at the end that admits this.

However I am concerned that the American youth may be misled into thinking that America is greater than it is.

This could lead to serious social defects as arrogance and over confidence, making social acceptance abroad ---difficult.

Only this morning I was having a Mc sausage with egg and hashbrowns in Mc Donalds. There was a group of young Americans( well I say young,- 30-ish) and the were playing on the kids slide area sliding down those long death defying slides.

At first I was concerened for thier safety --some of those slides --well the blue one is nearly 5 feet long.

Extreme anti social behaviour. I had been waiting in line nearly 5 minutes for a slide before they pushed in.

3. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Jack,

Our new PC curriculum already passes over much of true, positive history because it was accomplished by males of European ancestory. History in general is severily neglected, as is geography, science, math, ect...

Read an article where it stated that 80% of our youth were confident in thier math ability. Twenty % actually were. In Korea (I think), 30% said they were competent while in reality 80% were. Our kids (US) are not only (for the most part) stupid, but cocky. That IS a bad combination :(

Holds true to some degree for much of the western industrialized world I feel.

Take care.

TGoz

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Well it's a bad combination for a US President anyway.:D

Dang, I've never seen those before, steam powered just like Whitehead's aeroplane!:eek:

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The British invented inventions.

Im sure that some one cleverer than I can name the American who at the turn of the last century ( 1900) said " we might as well close the patent office because every thing that needs to be invented already has"

An astonishing statement.

Seems a touch of arrogance was around in those days too.

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Still get amazed

All I can do is point to my earlier post and reaffirm that the Scots invented everything.....:)

7. charmc

charmc Senior Member

This one is another one of those oft-repeated tales (like the one about the Brits and Scots inventing everything :D :D) that is oft-repeated only because repeating it is so much eeeeeeeeeeasier than checking the facts.

This myth was part of a series of ads by TRW in 1985, in which TRW praised itself for its innovative technologies and quoted "6 famous statements" about the future which were proven wrong. I don't know about the others, but this one was pure hokem. When asked by Samuel Sass, chief librarian for Genral Electric, who was researching the origins of the myth, to give it's source for the alleged statement, (supposedly by Charles Duell, head of the US Patent Office in 1899) TRW's ad people cited 2 books. The researcher, Samuel Sass, read both books (What a concept! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:) and discovered that one book repeated the alleged statement with no source at all; the second book quoted the first book as its "source".

Duell's actual report to the President in 1899, which is a public record, asked for a bigger budget because so many new inventions were being patented.

Oh, yeah, here's a source: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/kevinmaney/2005-07-05-famous-quotes_x.htm

and another: http://www.myoutbox.net/posass.htm

By the way, there is a plaque attached to Boston's Old North Church that reads, "Here on September 13, 1757, John Childs-who had given public notice of his intention to fly from the steeple of Dr. Cutler's church-performed it to the satisfaction of a great number of spectators." Childs flew on a glider, traveling more than 700 ft. and staying aloft more than 15 seconds.

8. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

can we get a vidio of the glider??????

9. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

My Fave Inventions

Talking bout invention, , some of the things that have directly influenced my life from USA
    Cummins Eng co, for whom I worked and Clessy Cummins invented the eng brake
    Trace invertors, which just run , forever, 747 (in kiwi speak( sivin sux siven) the most astonishing aircraft(outside RU:) Trojen batteries, why the heck cant we make them!! Spectra desalinators(which use low press) Bill Gates(also low press.) Solid Works, for which In paid squiilions!! and can't use, nah laddies them porridge oats neever invented all ye ken

10. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

That's just youth in general. WE were never like that were we guys,,guys????

Mychael

11. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

But the scary big difference is that in other times , we might have given a "bit of lip", maybe let some tyres down etc etc.
    Now you'll find a bunch of pre-teens and their mates smashing up your car or worse, trying to kick your head in.

Mychael

12. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Still get amazed

Have to disagree with you Stu. We Scots did invent them, but discarded them in favour of the kilt....:)

13. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

oh bugger( whoops last time I said bugger I got a bad point) well bugger I posted this in two places SORRY!!

14. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Still get amazed

Got me there Stu...It was the English who invented buggery...:p

15. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Correction noted PI.

I should of said English, which by the way, makes up 50% of my background.

TGoz

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.